A polite request: Trolls

ckn

A request to the general forum members: PLEASE don't reply to obvious trolls like the union imbecile I just binned.

When I bin trolls I often hit "delete all content", instantly removing any evidence of their existence.  If you reply to them on threads they didn't create then I have to manually delete your post.

Simply hit "report" and let me deal with it.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• 3 months later...

A reminder of this point.  I'll put it as sticky for a while.

There's an obvious one going around who really doesn't get that I simply hit "delete all content" when I see him.  He really must be a lonely, sad individual who gets chubbies when someone replies to his posts.  So, please, no sexual gratification of trolls on this forum, simply hit "Report" when you see them.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Well it's not me 

I'm not Spartacus either, and neither is my wife.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, johnh1 said:

Can you tell us who it is so we can ignore him or her in future?

The union troll who usually makes 10-20 posts before I delete them all with a single hit of the “spammer” button. He then rejoins as a new poster the next week for another go. Easy to spot as he’s desperate for attention and posts some right old tripe to get it.  

Thinking about it, I must have first banned this guy about a decade ago for getting out of hand on the cross-code forum. 

9 minutes ago, ckn said:

Thinking about it, I must have first banned this guy about a decade ago for getting out of hand on the cross-code forum. 

He's keeping you in practice, then. Like a personal troll-trainer.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

He's keeping you in practice, then. Like a personal troll-trainer.

He’s no fun though, no challenge at all. Even the use of furrin proxies to hide isn’t enough to avoid modern anti-troll software unless you really know what you’re doing.

9 minutes ago, ckn said:

He’s no fun though, no challenge at all. Even the use of furrin proxies to hide isn’t enough to avoid modern anti-troll software unless you really know what you’re doing.

...and if you really know what you're doing, you are therefore too intelligent to be a RU troll. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

28 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

...and if you really know what you're doing, you are therefore too intelligent to be a RU troll. 

They obviously come here the way moths come to flames. They know it’ll end in trouble but they can’t resist the light side. 

(In my best Colour Sergeant voice) Tiny Tim... Tiny Tim, I saw you, you’re alive. You’re not banned...

10 hours ago, ckn said:

Easy to spot as he’s desperate for attention and posts some right old tripe to get it.  

Bit unfair that, everybody will think it's Steve Reed now.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Ive been on here since the year dot but Im rubbish at spotting old posters when they come back on with a new name. And trolls. And multiple personalities. I sometimes wish we could have a heads up from the mods about this type of thing, but actually naming names, to save us wasting our time engaging.

I hope it is not the idiots on the Telegraph and Argus,they have been on the Bulls News for years under dozens of user names and are still on there to this day.Sad individuals who have nothing else useful in life to do .I and many other Bulls supporters who used to post on there have given up and left it to the idiotic few.

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Ive been on here since the year dot but Im rubbish at spotting old posters when they come back on with a new name. And trolls. And multiple personalities. I sometimes wish we could have a heads up from the mods about this type of thing, but actually naming names, to save us wasting our time engaging.

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Agree fully, someone using multiple names should be openly identified by the mods

We have only a few approved people on here with multiple accounts and they have very good reasons for the separation of the two, with one usually being a public persona, the other their private one.  We're usually intolerant of multiple accounts and more than a few people have had "pick one or lose both" messages from us.

Previously banned folk get attitudes from us depending on them and their previous conduct.  For example, someone who finally gets booted for multiple minor infringements and showing no intention of learning MAY be allowed back if they promise on a no-chances deal to behave.  We usually insist they get a new account and make no reference to their old one so that it draws a line under old grudges and prejudices.

Some banned folk sneak back on with new accounts, they try to stay under the radar and often are far better behaved than most posters because they don't want to be caught by me or John and banned.  Someone posting on this thread falls into that category :P   We know who they are, our troll-finder tools are quite good, we're just happy they're here and posting nicely, we simply wished they could post like that first time round before they got banned!

Others, like the one in question is on our actually quite small ban-on-sight list.  Some on that list simply get banned, others, like this chap, get banned and all their posts deleted to point out to them how much they're wasting their time.  It only gets to be a minor nuisance when people respond to obvious trolls on existing threads rather than report them as I have to pay attention to the detritus and orphan posts caused by the content deletion.

For the avoidance of doubt, the union troll I'm referring to has been on here under these names recently: Chips, Clev Trev, Frusty and TB77.  I'll ban him on sight now.

I hope that explains why we don't name multiple names.  They're either here on our approval (overt or covert) and we're happy that they have good reason for not being linked to other accounts, or they'll be banned on sight.

8 minutes ago, ckn said:

Someone posting on this thread falls into that category 

I bet it's ckn.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Some banned folk sneak back on with new accounts, they try to stay under the radar and often are far better behaved than most posters because they don't want to be caught by me or John and banned.  Someone posting on this thread falls into that category :P   We know who they are, our troll-finder tools are quite good, we're just happy they're here and posting nicely, we simply wished they could post like that first time round before they got banned!

###### , I;ve been rumbled ;)

Archived