Sign in to follow this  
ckn

A polite request: Trolls

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Some banned folk sneak back on with new accounts, they try to stay under the radar and often are far better behaved than most posters because they don't want to be caught by me or John and banned.  Someone posting on this thread falls into that category :P   We know who they are, our troll-finder tools are quite good, we're just happy they're here and posting nicely, we simply wished they could post like that first time round before they got banned!

###### , I;ve been rumbled ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ckn said:

We have only a few approved people on here with multiple accounts and they have very good reasons for the separation of the two, with one usually being a public persona, the other their private one.  We're usually intolerant of multiple accounts and more than a few people have had "pick one or lose both" messages from us.

Previously banned folk get attitudes from us depending on them and their previous conduct.  For example, someone who finally gets booted for multiple minor infringements and showing no intention of learning MAY be allowed back if they promise on a no-chances deal to behave.  We usually insist they get a new account and make no reference to their old one so that it draws a line under old grudges and prejudices.

Some banned folk sneak back on with new accounts, they try to stay under the radar and often are far better behaved than most posters because they don't want to be caught by me or John and banned.  Someone posting on this thread falls into that category :P   We know who they are, our troll-finder tools are quite good, we're just happy they're here and posting nicely, we simply wished they could post like that first time round before they got banned!

Others, like the one in question is on our actually quite small ban-on-sight list.  Some on that list simply get banned, others, like this chap, get banned and all their posts deleted to point out to them how much they're wasting their time.  It only gets to be a minor nuisance when people respond to obvious trolls on existing threads rather than report them as I have to pay attention to the detritus and orphan posts caused by the content deletion.

For the avoidance of doubt, the union troll I'm referring to has been on here under these names recently: Chips, Clev Trev, Frusty and TB77.  I'll ban him on sight now.

I hope that explains why we don't name multiple names.  They're either here on our approval (overt or covert) and we're happy that they have good reason for not being linked to other accounts, or they'll be banned on sight.

Fair do's boss. It's not an easy job. Ta.

12 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Ive been on here since the year dot but Im rubbish at spotting old posters when they come back on with a new name. And trolls. And multiple personalities. I sometimes wish we could have a heads up from the mods about this type of thing, but actually naming names, to save us wasting our time engaging.

I've certainly spotted one who was on here for years, disappeared for about two years and has re-emerged under another name in the last twelve months.  I know he's had problems on at least one other non RL connected forum.

Edited by Trojan

I'm surprised CKN hasn't twigged that Webmaster and John Drake are the same, he's got away with that for years!:tongue:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Is it me but do Parky and Harry Stottle seem to be similar?

I can 100% promise you they are not the same person.  Seriously...

• Haha 1

You really have to be a sad individual to spend hours of your life deliberately trying to provote a response on an internet messageboard. I once had an RLFans mod confess that one entire thread on their website was an individual with multiple accounts having a conversation with himself...:O

Just interested to know what the definition of trolling is on here. I use the Ignore function not to endure certain posters on here but I think there are a few trolling threads on here, and not started by an RU fan either, so what constitutes trolling

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER
  • Like 1

On 13/01/2018 at 3:33 AM, ckn said:

I can 100% promise you they are not the same person.  Seriously...

That's actually worse though,  the fact there's 2 out there like that.... 

3 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

You really have to be a sad individual to spend hours of your life deliberately trying to provote a response on an internet messageboard. I once had an RLFans mod confess that one entire thread on their website was an individual with multiple accounts having a conversation with himself...:O

Just interested to know what the definition of trolling is on here. I use the Ignore function not to endure certain posters on here but I think there are a few trolling threads on here, and not started by an RU fan either, so what constitutes trolling

indeed several years ago on a wet sat I tracked a poster who logged on , then off , then on again under a different name , replied to himself , then logged off again , this went on for 6 hours , several pages posted , bloody hilarious

I wasnt a mod on there but i just spotted them going on and off at the bottom of the page , then checked their status

it looks like another one has bitten the dust with the ' Championship teams ' unhappy thread

30 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

indeed several years ago on a wet sat I tracked a poster who logged on , then off , then on again under a different name , replied to himself , then logged off again , this went on for 6 hours , several pages posted , bloody hilarious

I wasnt a mod on there but i just spotted them going on and off at the bottom of the page , then checked their status

it looks like another one has bitten the dust with the ' Championship teams ' unhappy thread

There used to be someone on the Fev board who regularly had whole threads to themselves...... I've a hunch he might still post on here.

12 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I once had an RLFans mod confess that one entire thread on their website was an individual with multiple accounts having a conversation with himself...:O

Was he agreeing or disagreeing with himself? I'd be concerned if it was the latter. :tongue:

3 hours ago, RayCee said:

Was he agreeing or disagreeing with himself? I'd be concerned if it was the latter. :tongue:

We/I had a couple of fallouts but we/I are OK now.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

The problem with rugby league is that it has a higher proportion of people with significant chips on their shoulder than anywhere else I've ever seen. :P 

Seriously though, it's remarkably hard hitting the mark with someone trolling in this sport.  You get lots of people with genuine issues with the game coming on here to have a right old whine about it and they're hard to tell apart from trolls.  My first posts on this forum back in 2000 were ranty things about an RFL marketing campaign that was about as sophisticated as a nursery school kid's paintings (both my rant and the marketing campaign).  Repeat trolls have their stories sorted these days, they come in with a rant that's either a plausible but unpopular view or a very populist view and try to wind up those with other views on the story, they rarely attack other posters directly they simply put their views in a way that winds up others.

John and I manage the general forum boards, there's three types of trolls:
- The first group are the obvious to spot ones who just aren't clever enough to get beyond 10-15 posts before someone goes "hold on a minute..."
- The second group are the idiots who out themselves with their first post as a returned troll.
- The final group are the ones that cause the problem as they hide as genuine posters and don't go beyond what they see others do.  Some of the very genuine posters with genuine views on this forum are angry sorts who we just sigh at and delete their posts that go over the line.  We've a couple on here we're absolutely convinced are trolls but we'd get grumbled at by a lot of posters who think they're genuine posters who agree with them if we did pull the trigger.

What we do rely on though are people hitting "report" on trolling as we don't read all posts.  For example, I go into the cross-code forum about once a week voluntarily these days and fully rely on people reporting things going out of line.

Think of us like barmen in a quiet country pub, we'll give a quiet harrumph to people who get slightly out of line but try to keep the peace more than anything else.  If you do go over the line, and we can't see how we can rehabilitate you by any other way, then we'll happily give you the bum's rush out of the door.  If you are given the bum's rush but aren't that bad a sort really then we may relent and let you back in in future if you behave yourself.  Also, think of it like a quiet country pub, you'll often find an old drunk there that you sigh and ignore, hoping he doesn't come and sit next to you with his breath that smells like a mixture of rotting food and stale beer.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ckn said:

Also, think of it like a quiet country pub, you'll often find an old drunk there that you sigh and ignore, hoping he doesn't come and sit next to you with his breath that smells like a mixture of rotting food and stale beer.

Come on, John's not that bad.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ckn said:

The problem with rugby league is that it has a higher proportion of people with significant chips on their shoulder than anywhere else I've ever seen. :P 

Seriously though, it's remarkably hard hitting the mark with someone trolling in this sport.  You get lots of people with genuine issues with the game coming on here to have a right old whine about it and they're hard to tell apart from trolls.  My first posts on this forum back in 2000 were ranty things about an RFL marketing campaign that was about as sophisticated as a nursery school kid's paintings (both my rant and the marketing campaign).  Repeat trolls have their stories sorted these days, they come in with a rant that's either a plausible but unpopular view or a very populist view and try to wind up those with other views on the story, they rarely attack other posters directly they simply put their views in a way that winds up others.

John and I manage the general forum boards, there's three types of trolls:
- The first group are the obvious to spot ones who just aren't clever enough to get beyond 10-15 posts before someone goes "hold on a minute..."
- The second group are the idiots who out themselves with their first post as a returned troll.
- The final group are the ones that cause the problem as they hide as genuine posters and don't go beyond what they see others do.  Some of the very genuine posters with genuine views on this forum are angry sorts who we just sigh at and delete their posts that go over the line.  We've a couple on here we're absolutely convinced are trolls but we'd get grumbled at by a lot of posters who think they're genuine posters who agree with them if we did pull the trigger.

What we do rely on though are people hitting "report" on trolling as we don't read all posts.  For example, I go into the cross-code forum about once a week voluntarily these days and fully rely on people reporting things going out of line.

Think of us like barmen in a quiet country pub, we'll give a quiet harrumph to people who get slightly out of line but try to keep the peace more than anything else.  If you do go over the line, and we can't see how we can rehabilitate you by any other way, then we'll happily give you the bum's rush out of the door.  If you are given the bum's rush but aren't that bad a sort really then we may relent and let you back in in future if you behave yourself.  Also, think of it like a quiet country pub, you'll often find an old drunk there that you sigh and ignore, hoping he doesn't come and sit next to you with his breath that smells like a mixture of rotting food and stale beer.

Waiting 18 years to confess you are a troll must be some kind of record? Talk about a sleeper :D

• Haha 1

Speaking of trolls and RL sites, I got an email from SLF today saying they finally swept the floor and flushed out the place and inviting people back. Some of the rubbish on there got so tired I think half of the double ID types didn't even bother to change avatars when they used different names.

18 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Waiting 18 years to confess you are a troll must be some kind of record? Talk about a sleeper :D

I confess, I'm a union troll, here to undermine rugby league from within the community.  My name is really Stephen Jones and I'm a journalist for The Times. :P

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ckn said:

I confess, I'm a union troll, here to undermine rugby league from within the community.  My name is really Stephen Jones and I'm a journalist for The Times. :P

Oh yes, I've read some of your articles. Well the first line of them anyway before the pay wall kicks in.

Just now, Scubby said:

Oh yes, I've read some of your articles. Well the first line of them anyway before the pay wall kicks in.

Ahhh, the Murdoch paywall, probably the greatest advancement in journalism in the 21st century.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ckn said:

Ahhh, the Murdoch paywall, probably the greatest advancement in journalism in the 21st century.

Now that's an oxymoron! :blum: