Sign in to follow this  
dhuggybear

Whitehaven

Right let's get the ball rolling how to get 2000+ next week. What did York do with their Twitter campaign? Can't be as easy as # BarrowvsWhitehaven was it. Any ideas? Family tickets, free beer ?? Presume its next Sunday so no time to waste get on it board and everybody 2000+ surely is an easily achievable figure considering 1500+ at Whitehaven in the league!

Free beer, i'm there. Today the team were absolutely superb.No other way to describe it. Even at 30-0 up it wasn't enough. The lads just wanted to smash everything in their way. Tremendous effort. I wonder if Cresta did pin the RL awards up in the changing room, lol? How the hell did their full back get young player of the year with the young talent we've got? Jealousy? I personally think so.

As an aside, may I say how brilliant the Thunder fans were. After the game in the Ambrose they were booking rooms for next weekend, so they could have a weekend out and support Barrow. Full of fun and laughter after a 60-0 drubbing. Would we be the same? I think perhaps not. Talked to lots of them after the game and they said what a great day they had had. The Barrow fans were friendly as always and I would like to think that helped to make it a good day out for Thunder, despite the scoreline.

So, onto next weekend.Another display like that and it's sorted. One thing I was baffled with today, is with the given attendance today. I have been going to CP all my life, standing in crowds of 10,000 plus and 250 plus and I will say, today was wrong. I would love to know how how the club arrives at the figure? When I say wrong, I thought there were more fans attending than given.

hot dog gun being operated by an attractive individual?  Or maybe shooting scotch pies instead? :D

Editing addon -> what was the attendance?  I see the new comment from TMF about this matter.

Edited by Captain Survival
addon for attendance question

Offer every Workington Fan a free pint and a burger if they turn up wearing a Raiders shirt...lol

• Like 1

Skipper, I love scotch pies. Soss, you're correct . They'll wear any shirt, lol. Attendance, just over a thousand. I call this BS. Murph, prove me wrong and explain.

Captain, can you expand on what I was told today by someone who went to Toronto for our first game. They said tickets were being given away outside the ground for free. I find this hard to believe and I hate it when people say, I was there, so it's obviously true. I'd like to think not. 

Anyway, after today, we are getting nearer and nearer to seeing you again next season. Can't wait.

19 minutes ago, TMF said:

Skipper, I love scotch pies. Soss, you're correct . They'll wear any shirt, lol. Attendance, just over a thousand. I call this BS. Murph, prove me wrong and explain.

Captain, can you expand on what I was told today by someone who went to Toronto for our first game. They said tickets were being given away outside the ground for free. I find this hard to believe and I hate it when people say, I was there, so it's obviously true. I'd like to think not. 

Anyway, after today, we are getting nearer and nearer to seeing you again next season. Can't wait.

Free tickets are handed out before the games in Toronto - buy a pint in the pub get a free ticket to the game - nothing wrong with that - unless the ale is rubbish. Congrats to Barrow on a top performance and well done to Thunder on a great season. 

Edited by wonderofwood

Ah, wonderofwood, thanks for clarifying my question.  So it's true? So if Toronto declare a crowd of 8500. it might only be 2000, or less? Do the RL know this? Do the people collecting stats know this? do the Canadian supporters know this? Can anybody on that side of the pond tell us what's going on?

Free tickets handed out before a game? What the hell is going on here and i would like an answer from the RL.

It's a marketing ploy. Most clubs do it.

it might only be U16's free but they are added to the gate.

Wasps do it every week. It's good business,  Kids free- adults pay and spend in the refreshment outlets and often buy the kids a souvenir from the shop. If the kid comes away with a shirt it's win win all round. The club makes money and the kid persuades his mates to be fans too.

Not only that but a big crowd breeds big crowds.

I hope there is a big sign in the Raiders changing room reminding the players that Carl Forster is officially a better coach than Cresta😎

4 hours ago, TMF said:

Free beer, i'm there. Today the team were absolutely superb.No other way to describe it. Even at 30-0 up it wasn't enough. The lads just wanted to smash everything in their way. Tremendous effort. I wonder if Cresta did pin the RL awards up in the changing room, lol? How the hell did their full back get young player of the year with the young talent we've got? Jealousy? I personally think so.

As an aside, may I say how brilliant the Thunder fans were. After the game in the Ambrose they were booking rooms for next weekend, so they could have a weekend out and support Barrow. Full of fun and laughter after a 60-0 drubbing. Would we be the same? I think perhaps not. Talked to lots of them after the game and they said what a great day they had had. The Barrow fans were friendly as always and I would like to think that helped to make it a good day out for Thunder, despite the scoreline.

So, onto next weekend.Another display like that and it's sorted. One thing I was baffled with today, is with the given attendance today. I have been going to CP all my life, standing in crowds of 10,000 plus and 250 plus and I will say, today was wrong. I would love to know how how the club arrives at the figure? When I say wrong, I thought there were more fans attending than given.

#truefact

11 hours ago, Bearman said:

I hope there is a big sign in the Raiders changing room reminding the players that Carl Forster is officially a better coach than Cresta😎

Or maybe they will act like grown ups and concentrate on trying to win a huge game of rugby.

• Like 4

The club has to market, market, market it.

Get on the Bay, BBC Radio Cumbria, Twitter, Facebook etc and flood people with it.

Through the players who are community reps, get them into the schools this week. Free entry for U16s with a paying adult, not just under 5s.

Get a megaphone and driving around Barrow announcing the game.

Try and arrange a mini rugby game at half time etc - get 34 sets of parents there that may not ordinarily watch a raiders game.

I'm not sure of the logistics/licensing requirements but can the club sell beer around the ground or is it limited to the bars? I remember at the Wigan game a few years ago, there were buckets of iced beer dotted all around the ground with sellers. Or emulate the Toronto experience, spend a hundred quid on a couple of gazebos and market the beer garden theme, selling something other than the kingstone press or lager on offer currently.

Just a few ideas as time is of the essence so things need to be easy to sort. I think there'll be an increased crowd anyway, but every little helps.

• Like 2

Even something like:

From the first 500 people paying through the turnstyles, give them each a raffle ticket to be drawn before the start of the game. Winner gets to enjoy the game from the directors box or something. Costs you a few extra sandwiches and beers but encourages folk to get in early and spend a few quid behind the bar etc

Haven nearly got the 2nd bus full plus another from Kells. Be a lot in cars as well ... common down guys

5 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Or maybe they will act like grown ups and concentrate on trying to win a huge game of rugby.

I'm sure they will. 

Motivation is a powerful tool used by all organisations and sports clubs. 

One of the things that makes a good coach is finding ways to motivate and inspire. 

Cresta is a past master, thats partially why he is a top coach

COYR

Edited by Bearman
Spelling

millomite, i've asked on here before for ideas to increase crowds/revenue. Brilliant post mate with some great ideas. Lets have more please people. Problem is, will the board take any notice?

21 hours ago, TMF said:

I am unaware of any free ticket gimmicks being used in Toronto.  I am not saying some were not given out but I never met anyone at a game who mentioned entrance via a free ticket - I was only able to attend 2 games btw but they were in the first half when the team was still working up in the public eye.  If I did not meet someone with a free ticket at that time, then I am very skeptical as later on the team was absolutely front and centre in the public eye and needed no gimmicks of any sort to attract an audience.

Free ticketing generally does not go down well here - the psychology is that if they are giving away free tickets, they must be desperate and the event is poor quality.  Perhaps TWP ran some free ticket option as part of some junior promotion, but I don't recall anything even on their twitter feed.  So I really doubt this occurred at least in any significant fashion.

I see Wonderofwood's post about buying a pint and getting a free ticket.  Where did that happen?  never heard of it.  I don't know any place that could sell enough to make any measurable contribution to attendance, and if such occurred, I think it would have been mentioned by many previously.  I could see 10 or 20 tickets being given away by a couple of the restaurants/pubs that were primary sponsors, but a couple of dozen tickets is meaningless.

• Like 1

Watched your semi on you tube today ,you look Avery drilled side , anything remotely like that again should see you through. 

Hope we don't see you next season.

up the kneets.☺☺☺.

1 minute ago, georgeb1 said:

Watched your semi on you tube today ,you look Avery drilled side , anything remotely like that again should see you through. 

Hope we don't see you next season.

up the kneets.☺☺☺.

George, can you post the link?  i was asking about a video of the game in another thread.  I can certainly search youtube but if you have it handy it would be appreciated.  Would make nice viewing tonight while I am plunking away on my keyboard for some work.

Hi Captain, that's why I asked. Thanks for that and you are on the ground but more than one person has 'claimed' to have witnessed it but i'll go with what you say.

However, giving away tickets is not desperation. It's encouragement, for people who may have never been to a game. It's to garner the young/neutral supporters for the future, it's for.....well, I could give lots of reasons. All clubs do it and i'm not having a go at TWP if they do. For a new team to gather support i'd be surprised if they didn't. 

My point was purely about how gate numbers are calculated, and that includes our own leagues. A recent post of mine on the Newcastle semi game might show you where i'm coming from. No disrespect intended.

To georgeb 1. North Western Evening Mail web site shows highlights of every home game. Enjoy.

@TMF None Taken!  I only ever saw mention of this in the post by WonderofWoods above plus your prior comment in this thread.  But having been a banker in a past life for a number of years (started off in retail and worked my way up and through commercial, real estate, corporate, etc) I was simply observing that the psychology here is that this would not IMHO be a very successful tactic for a professional sports team.  For say a local homeshow it might work. 

In any case I do understand that it might work in the UK, and perhaps even in a smaller center here.  But in a major city like Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver, I would be very skeptical of success.

As  I noted, I never even heard a whiff of mention of free tickets, from any other fans on this forum or elsewhere.  By our standards, the price of attending a TWP game was very inexpensive.  I don't recall it even on the TWP facebook or twitter feeds.

millomite, i've asked on here before for ideas to increase crowds/revenue. Brilliant post mate with some great ideas. Lets have more please people. Problem is, will the board take any notice?

On topic, I think the game next week will be a very good one.  Given that it is a promotion game I would hope the team fans take note and make a good show of support by attending.