Sign in to follow this  
Old Frightful

28th Sept : The Betfred SL Semi Final 1 : Castleford Tigers v St Helens K.O. 7.45 pm Sky TV

Congratulations to Cas and their fans. It is great to see them in the final and its great for RL having a new team in the Grand Final.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Niels said:

That is very magnanimous of you. I am not a Saints fan yet I feel very disappointed.

As a neutral I prefer the side that scores more tries to win.

Also I am in a minority of one on here but I think at that stage and importance of the game, it was an incongruous bold decision from a referee who had erred on the side of caution all game. 

Yeah as a neutral I prefer the side scoring more tries to win, but at the other hand...when Cas won the LLS and some people said that they were the "real Champions", I argued that the real Champions were the ones who can deal with the pressure of big games. Cas did that , in particular Gale did it and Percival/Smith didn't. Cas have been the best team all year though so probably deserve to make the Grand Final, just a shame it's over my team. That game was more than deserving of the GF so will be interesting to see what is served up tomorrow and next week! 

Yeah agree on the referee, I think my only real issue with him was the penalty Cas kicked to make it 8-0. The penalty at the end was a big call but the right one, extremely dumb play by Morgan. 

• Like 1

Superb game and nice to have someone then the usual suspects in the final.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2017 at 7:58 AM, Exiled Wiganer said:

While I marginally would prefer.a Cas win, it would be amusing to see Powell's face should they lose at the death, as the commiseration texts find their way over the Pennines. I am hoping for a new name but FC would be my pick, on the basis of club class and supporter wit. On that basis, a Saints win would be better, as FC would find them easier to handle at OT. A draw and extra time defeat for Cas would be ideal I guess. 

Couldn't get one of Powell but managed one of Matty Smith - hope that helps

15066345140921272257581.jpg

4 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Yeah as a neutral I prefer the side scoring more tries to win, but at the other hand...when Cas won the LLS and some people said that they were the "real Champions", I argued that the real Champions were the ones who can deal with the pressure of big games. Cas did that , in particular Gale did it and Percival/Smith didn't. Cas have been the best team all year though so probably deserve to make the Grand Final, just a shame it's over my team. That game was more than deserving of the GF so will be interesting to see what is served up tomorrow and next week! 

Yeah agree on the referee, I think my only real issue with him was the penalty Cas kicked to make it 8-0. The penalty at the end was a big call but the right one, extremely dumb play by Morgan. 

I thought the penalty at the end was very harsh but credit to Castleford, the short restart that gave them that last chance was carried out to perfection. Looked like it had been practised many times.

What a fantastic game. I wasn't bothered either way who won but I was totally gripped by it.

Absolutely magnificent game,  credit to both sets of players for not giving up. DP looked like he was going to pass out towards the end. Delighted for Cas and their fans, will be the neutral's choice for the Grand Final.

• Like 1

Best team on the night lost, best team over the year won.

Made up for Cas especially after it looked like they'd blown it. 

Now if Hull can win tomorrow we can have the most interesting Grand Final line up in years.

• Like 7

What a game! Watched it with my mum, not the biggest fan in the world and she was going radio rental when the one pointer went over.

Like most neutrals I wanted Cas to win but that must be so very painful for a saints fans and I can only offer commiserations there.

We have the best product in the world when its played like that, good luck in the final and Good luck to leeds to hull and saints who have to follow that.

• Like 2

Despite my cheeky post earlier to Exiled Wiganer I want to give massive congrats to all the Saints fans on here and on social media who have been nothing short of outstanding in defeat.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Ullman said:

I thought the penalty at the end was very harsh but credit to Castleford, the short restart that gave them that last chance was carried out to perfection. Looked like it had been practised many times.

What a fantastic game. I wasn't bothered either way who won but I was totally gripped by it.

The penalty may have been let go in the general run of the game, but, at such a crucial stage both teams have to be squeaky clean. If he hadn't given it people would have been up in arms, even though it would have had no outcome on the result of the kick that caused Morgan to panic and do what he did.

1 minute ago, Padge said:

The penalty may have been let go in the general run of the game, but, at such a crucial stage both teams have to be squeaky clean. If he hadn't given it people would have been up in arms, even though it would have had no outcome on the result of the kick that caused Morgan to panic and do what he did.

Usually the commentators say the opposite Padge. A penalty at such a crucial moment has to be clear cut because at that stage the referees decision is effectively deciding the game. 

As you say though, both teams need to be very disciplined so as not to give the referee an opportunity to make such a decision. 

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

Technically you can't argue with it. Not sure many people would have even noticed let alone be up in arms though.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Technically you can't argue with it. Not sure many people would have even noticed let alone be up in arms though.

And that's the point, when it comes to such a crucial stage refs have to be technically correct, just as the players do. The grab wasn't necessary, but he did it, the referee could have waived it off as it wasn't foul play, more obstruction. I don't think I could have coped with the wailing and gnashing of teeth on here if he hadn't given it though. Believe me it would not have gone unnoticed.

• Like 1

Back from the game and I am drained.

Have to say the Saints fans on here have shown true class in defeat. 

I thought Cas got out of jail there and Saints were the best team.

We just need to enjoy the GF experience although I won't as I go on holiday on Wednesday.😭😭😭

55 minutes ago, Padge said:

Id say the opposite. Child looked like he didnt want to give anything that last 10 minutes I think if that was in the 50th minute there is no chance he gives it. 

But similarly the blame lies solely with Morgan who gave him a decision to make and he didnt need to, in addition Saints could have been points ahead if they had made some relatively simple kicks

Edited by scotchy1

Congratulations to Cas, great game, delighted they are in the Grand Final. Can Luke Gale have a word with his surgeon and see if there are any other body parts that he does not really need. If he plays like that despite major surgery, imagine what he could do in the World Cup Final if he has another operation before the tournament starts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I only saw the second half, but it was a great game. Castleford's defence was a bit ordinary at times, but credit to Barba especially, and Roby and Lomax for causing problems. Poor goal kicking and Morgan's stupidity cost them. 

I'm happy for Castleford - they deserve to be in the GF after the year they've had. Big play off games are so different to regular season games, and they looked a bit nervous (Roberts particularly). But Gale kept it together at the death and I hope he and the team can kick on now. If Gale can take them to the premiership, the confidence and experience he gains will be a huge boost for England.

Edited by ghost crayfish

Wow.

Firstly, well done Saints and their fans. Very classy in defeat both on here and in person after the game. Played a full part in a great game and very unlucky in defeat.

For Cas, they need to sort out the discipline a bit and sort out the line speed a little. A little lucky in the end but they say you make your own luck. The Wheldon Road End was bouncing at the end.

Ticket booked for next week. Never been to Old Trafford so it'll be an experience. Going to try to enjoy the weekend before the nerves kick in again.

The dream lives on!

Wow.  From nerves to dream, to nightmare, hope, nerves and back to dream all in the space of 15 minutes! Feel like I have played the game myself I'm so drained!  

Firstly, Saints very unlucky, I think they were the best team on the night, Roby (should be getting the world cup call for me) and Barba caused all kind of problems,Saints put some clever set plays on and the whole team were solid in defence.  Hard way to lose but I think under their current coach and with the personel they have they are a pretty good shout for honours in 2018.  Were I a Saints fan I'd be looking forward to next year with anticipation.

As for Cas, we never do it the easy way!  Thought Milner made some huge plays and Gale was cool when he needed to be, and boy did he need to be!  We seemed to follow good play up with errors far too often. Plenty to work on for next week but adding a grand final appearance to the LLS is huge for a club so close to the brink a few years ago.

GET IN!