Sign in to follow this  
RogerT

I know the season is over, but.......

I see his disciplinary as been put off till next week.

Is there a rush ?

I don't see any rush for a disciplinary meeting. He's had a great season for Batley and worked just as hard on the pitch for Batley as he did at Dewbury. A superb asset to the team.

• Like 2

I seriously questioned the need to sign him, Didn't think he could add anything to our game. My apologies Mr.Farrell.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, phildog said:

I seriously questioned the need to sign him, Didn't think he could add anything to our game. My apologies Mr.Farrell.

Good Lad Phildog

I said when he was signed what he was capable of and he hasn't disappointed this year. His commitment is obvious and yes he does play on the edge but his work load during a game if you watch him is phenomenal. Of course there are 12 others on the pitch, by that I mean one man cannot win a game on his own but I would much prefer to run with him than come up against him.

Congratulations to him and all the Batley team, THANKS for entertainment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lone Drinker said:

I've watch the video, nothing wrong with it. There's certainly no elbow used. 

That said, he gives too many penalties away and looks, to me, like he gets caught out of position quite a lot.

He doesn't use the shoulder then?

well i think hes been great for us,and sure a different player to last year all day long,look at the stick he got at fax all game but he kept calm,

nowt wrong with the passion showed at end of a long season and i dare say the verbals he had last 20 minutes played a factor too in the incident, nothing more than muscle flexing, wish another half a dozen had same passion during the game sometimes as faz.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ernieone said:

Not the greatest fan of Farrell and think he has to step up a gear next season.

>>> mom results say different.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, silverback said:

>>> mom results say different.

Yes it is a bit frightening that so many supporters can be so easily fooled, I could give a number of reasons why I personally think he needs to step up a gear but it is not right to go down that route on a public forum, He is not a bad player and I think he has a lot more to offer which is why he needs to step up a gear. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tony F said:

Farrell is a great talent. A good season in 2018 and he'll probably be looking at a contract with a lower-half SL club. 

not sure on that one,but we see so many players who know can do better but dont give it there all,faz leaves it all on the pitch and is my type a player, dont know about all this been fooled pap as we all have different ideas of players and you get what you see. hope we have him for a couple a seasons as the yards he makes sets us up to hit gaps time after time, up the doggies.

Farrell's problem, in my humble opinion, is that he doesn't know where his 'home' is on the field. At Dewsbury he was an occasional stand-off/hooker, here he's hooked a bit, or been a 2nd row or loose-forward, which to be honest in the modern game is a 'lost' speciality. So he hasn't settled into a regular job. However, he has shown his ability to make breaks, gain ground and an ability to pass the ball well. Just what we need in a stand-off!! Also, he hasn't been the hothead that I and others expected, so that's a feather in his or the coach's cap. Put a couple of yards of pace on him over the close season and who knows.

15 minutes ago, phildog said:

Farrell's problem, in my humble opinion, is that he doesn't know where his 'home' is on the field. At Dewsbury he was an occasional stand-off/hooker, here he's hooked a bit, or been a 2nd row or loose-forward, which to be honest in the modern game is a 'lost' speciality. So he hasn't settled into a regular job. However, he has shown his ability to make breaks, gain ground and an ability to pass the ball well. Just what we need in a stand-off!! Also, he hasn't been the hothead that I and others expected, so that's a feather in his or the coach's cap. Put a couple of yards of pace on him over the close season and who knows.

Don't recall him playing stand off for the Rams. Think you might be confusing us with Jamaica. ;)

Slotted in a time or 2 maybe, not as a regular! Anyway, I've just looked at the highlights: he came rushing in with head down, at worst it was a shoulder charge, from the angle of the pictures never got anywhere near with an elbow. I stick by my earlier comment that I believe he's tightened up his game this year and is nowhere near the penalty machine he once was.

Irrespective of what he was like before, I have been impressed with him this year, may it continue next season.

• Like 2

Farrell has all of the attributes to be a good Championship player but needs a good coach to bring out the best in him. He didn't have that at Dewsbury.

12 hours ago, phildog said:

I like Farrell, he's a bit like Rettie in many ways, you could never accuse him of not giving 110% and as such, I would usually say he is worth a place somewhere. The problem is, we have 3 better back rowers than him in Manning, Day and Harrison IMO.

We also have 2 other good back rowers in Chandler and Bretherton should one of the 3 aforementioned get injured.

Although he is not overly blessed with pace, maybe he might be worth a shot at centre? Otherwise, I just can't see where he fits in the squad. His distribution doesn't look good enough for a hooker. 

My two penneth is some are being overly harsh on Farrell. He's a born and bred hooker,  Kieran Cunningham-esque. He hits hard in second row but admittedly can be found out of position, like previously mentioned Reittie. But the winger being out of position is more detrimental as often results in a try. I digress.

As a vocal young Ram Farrell annoyed me and I collared both him and Morrison. Should the lad get his head on he would be in super league is what I shared with them, and I still believe that to be the case. He's channelled the aggression to some extent, but not enough. The young tag is wearing thin and the lad needs to grow up, decide a position and make it his. I trust he will be aided and will have another strong season with us.

I don't think it's up to the player to decide on his position, that's the coach's job. Regarding 2nd rowers, that was the reason why I originally didn't think we needed him, but I honestly can't see Brev carrying on and expecting to be guaranteed a regular place, so that cuts down by 1 his challengers to a spot. If we're not planning on bringing in that 'young' half-back springboard then we're better off keeping Patch at 6 which lets Farrell drop in at 13. Someone mentioned his lack of handling ability, but to me he's always on the look out to drop an arm and offer the ball. We have 1 hooker who's always going to get in the side, so Leaky gets a break, Davey comes on and rotates 9 and 13 with Farrell. Always keeps the opposition guessing then. I think this season he has 'got his head on', and although it's a long shot, I reckon if stats were available over the season, I'd say he's the biggest break-maker, and he's not slow off the mark when he's through. Hopefully the team will start next season as it's more or less finished this, confident and knowing and dominating.

A quick update,

He received 5 matches and a £100 fine.

18 minutes ago, RogerT said:

A quick update,

He received 5 matches and a £100 fine.

That is a shame. Earlier in a game during another fracas he acted as a peacemaker shepherding one of the Sheffield players away from trouble. In the video of the incident it looked to me as if he was making a last desperate attempt to dislodge the ball; or is that the Nelson coming out in me (one eyed)?  Either way, I guess that his reputation precedes him.