Sign in to follow this  
chisholm

What is the future ?

After looking at the NCL results today and talking to a very  well respected  committee member of a  long established member club, I Fear that our game is on a very swift downward spiral.

I don't know the answers  but i do honestly believe that it started when the RFL and NCL pushed the summer dream to us all. I know this has all been said before and probably should not be refurbished  again but somebody in the RFl organisation needs to look at the serious situation before its to late.

Finally the new systems being implemented by the RFL and NCL are driving older administrators away from the game but we have no young blood willing to step in, as much as technology is the future without young people who are willing to take up the vital roles at each club it is a total failure.

I hope your wrong but I can see where your coming from. At our club(Saddleworth Rangers) everything seems to be going well.The new clubhouse is fantastic, the team haven't done that bad.But looking across the board things do look a bit iffy to say the least.

• Like 1

Yesterdays game between Hunslet Warriors v Blackbrook did't take place due to Blackbrook not turning up , earlier in the season (12th Aug) this happen to my team Hunslet Club Parkside (Old Boys) when they did'nt turn up to our place , this fixture was given a new date of 14th Oct , been told now that this fixture will not take place , thought i'd seen the last of this when we we're in the yorkshire/pennine leagues , hope this is'nt the future for the NCL......

Edited by Blackbeard

There are rumours floating around that Blackbrook have folded? I don't want to elaborate on it, but if they do continue then according to NCL rules they will be in Division Three next season after finishing bottom and failing to turn up for game/s.

With regard to a decline in administration, you can add my name to the list. After 47 years I must admit the new technology is beyond me, I hope it succeeds and makes things simpler for all concerned, again one has to ask where are all the young volunteers?

East Leeds failed to raise a team yesterday in a play off semi final at Dudley hill. I really felt for the chairman/committee man who turned up with the kit and strapping etc. He expected 14 lads to turn up and at least play the fixture, but 4 lads never showed leaving only 10 so the game was called off. He was gutted and embarrassed to say the least but stayed back for a pint regardless, top man.

the bigger Issue is y are famous amateur club like east Leeds and others goin through this. How many clubs can really say they are better now on and off the field then 5 years ago. Maybe 5 percent vin the whole amareurt game?

The NCL is an amateur league which is not run by the RFL, but by volunteers and most certainly not c***s.  You should perhaps get up off your ###### and volunteer to go on the NCL committee seeing that you imagine you are the bees knees and know it all.   Keep your eyes and ears open for when the AGM is - get yourself nominated and seconded.  And while we're waiting for the AGM to come along, put some sensible suggestions together on how our game can be saved.

• Like 1

I still believe the RFL are only interested in the junior set up,s at the top clubs, st pats , siddal, ect . And they believe these clubs will survive just with juniors, wrong wrong wrong. The clubs first and foremost need the senior first team , IS THE PRIORITY. that's why they run the juniors . NOT FOR LEEDS WARRINGTON WIGAN

The whole siddal u/16 all conquering side , are signed on at these clubs , and you know what siddal recieve in return , yes you guessed , nothing. And by the way , they are now been turned into robots , stereotypes of the modern game. 

Now , back to the demise of the game. I have made my opposition to summer very clear. AND I WAS RIGHT WITH MY VIEWS. DISASTER. the only people that have benefited are the people , who clean the changing rooms , and clean the clubhouses. In the summer months. And for the game, well it's boring except for a few games . To put it in perspective , one of the best known players in the conferance ever, doesn't watch televised matches , sums it up really. 

MY REMEDY.

GO BACK TO 15 a side  

slow the game down , contest scrums , [ the element of suprise] creative stand offs , great scrum halves , ball handling loose forwards / props.  I can dream .

and to finish. And this sums it up really, siddal if they beat thatto will have played one game in seven weeks before the kick off of the final. 

After seeing the amended table will be published on Monday, here is my view on how it could look

Hunslet C.P.             P 20  W 19  D 0  L 1  For 605   Agt  238  Dif  365  Pts 38

Underbank R.           P 20  W 17  D  0   L 3         631          345           286        34

Normanton K.          P 20  W 12  D  0   L 8         585          456          129        24

Milford M.                P 20  W 11  D 1    L  8         426           447         -21         23

York Acorn               P 20  W 10  D 0   L 10        516            446          70         20

Lock Lane                 P 20  W 9    D 1   L 10        542            447          95         19

Featherstone L.       P 20   W 7    D 0   L 14        489           587          -98         14

Shaw Cross Sh.       P 20   W 7    D 0   L 14         407          529         - 122       14

Ince Rose Br.           P 20   W 7     D 0  L 14         438         566          - 128       14

Hunslet Warr.          P 20   W 5     D 0  L 15         328         595           -267        10

Hull Dockers            P 20   W 5     D 0  L 15         317         609           - 292        10

plenty being said on all of these forums about the state of the game, but nothing being done about it.

Now the season has (more or less) finished, then the RFL need petitioned at the earliest opportunity to see what action they propose to take to try and halt the game's decline.

This initially must come from the Regional and Conference Management Groups.

I fear than nothing will be done until the Super Duper League clubs suddenly look about and realise they don't have any players left in the UK and have to  rely on even more second rate and over the hill aussies to bulk up their squads.

We are now seeing the results of lack of investment at grassroots - and the problem is going to get worse .....and quickly!!

The game is already on life-support and if the people who are running the game at present have no answers to the current problems, then its time for them to move aside and let someone else have a go.

Rather than wasting efforts on electronic team sheets, they need to be finding new ways to engage with players to fill the blasted team sheets to start with!!! 

I have been involved with one club or another since 1987 and have refused to go on holidays or be the best man at a friends wedding because I didn't want to miss a game. I gave it all up at the start of the 2017 season. The biggest problem is that I work Friday nights, although I did put up with that for the last 9 of those years. A big contributing factor to my giving up was the lack of loyalty from the players and exactly as Chisholm says - the unwillingness of people to get involved with the running of clubs. I hated home games because for years it was the same half a dozen people trying to do every job on match days. The players tell me they prefer playing in summer but the same players are not available for half of the season. I don't know what the answer is, but I'm pretty sure that moving to summer didn't help.

Something isn't right when the NCL clubs are struggling as they have the pick of the crop, see attached letter from the Chairman of West Hull to the NCL I have also seen some minutes from the September Community Board Minutes where a review into the 12-18 playing months are to be reviewed is the season too long and summer holidays.

We have had April right through to late September/October, then the same with a summer break, now where? April to the Middle of July, that's only about 15 weeks with possibility of 3 bank Holidays and magic weekend, god forbid they start in March as that's Winter! 

Was all this not reviewed 5 years ago with the saviour of the game and the switch to summer sorry I just wish a few more people had listened to the dinasours 

IMG_0335.PNG

As a regional league chair I have listened to the  masses this season complaining about consistency and availability. Your correct Celtic the players, although wont commit for the full season, do not want to go back to winter but also do not want to play come the summer months notably July and August.

I have also learned that the cup comps do interfere with the consistency of the game therefore next season we will offer an alternative to try and gain a full seasons commitment but it may involve getting rid of the cups and league games will not be part of July and August.

Its not finalised yet but I'm hoping I'm giving the players what they want when we discuss the options on the 16th October, however they will have the final choice of when they want to play.

Edited by Wilber

5 minutes ago, Defender1 said:

Something isn't right when the NCL clubs are struggling as they have the pick of the crop, see attached letter from the Chairman of West Hull to the NCL I have also seen some minutes from the September Community Board Minutes where a review into the 12-18 playing months are to be reviewed is the season too long and summer holidays.

We have had April right through to late September/October, then the same with a summer break, now where? April to the Middle of July, that's only about 15 weeks with possibility of 3 bank Holidays and magic weekend, god forbid they start in March as that's Winter! 

Was all this not reviewed 5 years ago with the saviour of the game and the switch to summer sorry I just wish a few more people had listened to the dinasours 

IMG_0335.PNG

I don't class myself as a dinosaur and I based my argument on the experience of running a club in the summer that had 40 to 50 training twice a week, the concept is brilliant, reality it's poo and where are the NCL committee who shouted so load on here a few seasons ago (probably either gaged by the RFL or hiding up their own ######

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wilber said:

As a regional league chair I have listened to the  masses this season complaining about consistency and availability. Your correct Celtic the players, although wont commit for the full season, do not want to go back to winter but also do not want to play come the summer months notably July and August.

I have also learned that the cup comps do interfere with the consistency of he game therefore next season we will offer an alternative to try and gain a full seasons commitment but it may involve getting rid of the cups and league games will not be part of July and August.

Its not finalised yet but I'm hoping I'm giving the players what they want when we discuss the options on the 16th October, however they will have the final choice of when they want tom play.

To many local cups was a massive problem during the winter as well, because we only had one local cup you could find yourself going 5,6 and even 7 weeks without a game after Christmas  in the Yorkshire premier division

11 minutes ago, Wilber said:

I have also learned that the cup comps do interfere with the consistency of the game therefore next season we will offer an alternative to try and gain a full seasons commitment but it may involve getting rid of the cups and league games will not be part of July and August.

Its not finalised yet but I'm hoping I'm giving the players what they want when we discuss the options on the 16th October, however they will have the final choice of when they want to play.

The problem is if you do not want to play any of the old Traditional season there are not enough months to compete your games unless you make smaller leagues don't forget in the main the Traditional season you did not play June-August as the season started in September at the moment you say the players don't want to play Winter so don't any want to do pre-season training as our first team start first week in December and play friendlies in February and by the way we have to fund 4g with floodlights this was another saving that was supposed to happen. Playing at the moment when a team cannot play or agree a new date the points are given as there are not light nights to play the catch up games. 

Personally for open age I think we should all play the same time, start September to Second week in December have a break start again March and finish end May at worst half way through June you cannot quarantee weather at any time, during the break even have National cup games (Because we are all playing the same time) under 16-OA amateur county games, light nights to catch up games. IMO getting rid of cup games could have an effect if teams only have the league to play for then they again could drop out early if there is nothing to play for

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I don't class myself as a dinosaur and I based my argument on the experience of running a club in the summer that had 40 to 50 training twice a week, the concept is brilliant, reality it's poo and where are the NCL committee who shouted so load on here a few seasons ago (probably either gaged by the RFL or hiding up their own ######

I agree most who promoted the Traditional season admitted there were changes needed, not the whole sale change that the RFL promoted, like you said we were ostracised for speaking out and I suspect in the main right. The issue now could be if the game went back to a traditional  format would people not want to be involved in principle as what has happened with the switch to summer.

58 minutes ago, Defender1 said:

I agree most who promoted the Traditional season admitted there were changes needed, not the whole sale change that the RFL promoted, like you said we were ostracised for speaking out and I suspect in the main right. The issue now could be if the game went back to a traditional  format would people not want to be involved in principle as what has happened with the switch to summer.

We lost a few good committee men and players when we went to summer but have found that many have come back since we said we are only going to run in the winter, but I think that's mainly  because we've got an happy ship now.

14 hours ago, Wilber said:

Sometimes you have to lead the cattle to the watering hole that will bring survival and helps the herd to flourish, at the moment IMO it seems that it's a case of only the fittest will survive in a shrinking world - Players only want to play and at the moment the players fall into a three groups IMO, 1/ The faithful ones who'll turn up every week, 2/ The ones who'll play around their work, 3/ The ones who play the sport around their social lives.

1 hour ago, Blackbeard said:

Still waiting ALAN SMITH !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The official list from Alan Smith

Conference League

Kingstone Press National Conference League - Division One

Pos Team                                   P       W       D       L       For     Agst    PD      PTS    

1   Hunslet Club Parkside                   20      19      0       1       603     238     365     38     
2   Underbank Rangers                       20      17      0       3       625     345     280     34     
3   Normanton Knights                       20      12      0       8       585     456     129     24     
4   Milford Marlins                              20      11      1       8       426     447     -21     23     
5   York Acorn                                     20      10      0       10      516     446     70      20     
6   Lock Lane                                      20      9       1       10      531     447     84      19     
7   Featherstone Lions                      20      7       0       13      489     587     -98     14     
8   Shaw Cross Sharks                      20      7       0       13      407     529     -122    14     
9   Ince Rose Bridge                         20      7       0       13      438     566     -128    14     
10  Hunslet Warriors                        20      5       0       15      328     595     -267    10     
11  Hull Dockers                               20      5       0       15      317     609     -292    10     
12  Blackbrook                                    0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0      

Edited by Wilber

17 hours ago, Wilber said:

What's the outline of the plan for July & August? That's a long time without a fixture. That can be just as damaging to a team

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

What's the outline of the plan for July & August? That's a long time without a fixture. That can be just as damaging to a team

Simple answer, I want to bring back town team, cups. Play them when you like as you like. Wednesday night, Friday Night Saturday morning then at the end of the season or July and August a champion of champions.

However for example If we only get a small intake from say Widnes merge them with Warrington and call it the Cheshire cup. like wise for Wigan split it 50/50  if some clubs cant enter then merge them with some in West Lancs and call it the west and East Lancs cup for the others, or just bring back the Ken Gee and invite the Chorley/Leyland clubs in.

I think we are missing the old rivalries and if I can make it happen and if its what they want then we will facilitate it.

Actually I don't really mind if the Districts want to run the cups and call them there own names I just want to run a full season with no walkovers, give the players the potential breathing space in holiday season and bring back some good old ding dong games if I can

Warrington for instance have never stopped having a town Cup, both for first teams and alliance teams, however the interest wasn't really there this year for the first teams

For those who aren't interested or get knocked out straight away it will leave a big gap with games

If that happened for us we'd end up trying to play a load of Friendlies during that time. We'd much rather play league fixtures. I think we played three friendlies on Saturdays this year, plus still had plenty of free weeks.

I know there are issues elsewhere, We lost 4 home games due to walkovers (out of 9) we're just aiming to get into the highest division we can to hopefully avoid this. We lost 3 in September (although one was midweek and delayed from June at Opposition request)

Will any changes be put to a vote of the clubs?