Sign in to follow this  
Bearman

Rebuilding

After two fantastic seasons the squad have got us into the Championship.

I think the current squad would be good enough to keep us up.

However, to push on into the top half of the table some new blood will be required.

Our squad may need to be a bit bigger. I think the present forwards will be competative but we need another couple.

Likewise in the halves if Dalli was injured we might struggle.

In the backs it will be interesting to see how Shane Toal goes at this higher level. I think it may be in the back division thatwe may need to strengthen.

Thoughts?

Now being the only Cumbrian club in the higher league surely we can attract the best few W Cumbrians to ply their trade with us if they are in the positions we want reinforcing, Have a healthy number of Cumbrians as a core & compliment that with a few solid travelers & hopefully we can be competitive & stay up,

If the full first 17 was available every week then there's a chance of survival. I think the club needs to strengthen, but at what risk? I'd say the odds are against the Raiders staying up when considering all the other teams. IMO, you can write Toronto out of the relegation mix next season, meaning we're not fighting with another newly promoted sides at the bottom. I hope I'm wrong, but think realistically we are fighting with Swinton, Rochdale, Dewsbury, Sheffield and Batley who are established Champ sides. Build a team capable of beating them without risking the financial stability of the club.

That is of course dependent on what the restructure announcement is for 2019.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, millomite said:

If the full first 17 was available every week then there's a chance of survival. I think the club needs to strengthen, but at what risk? I'd say the odds are against the Raiders staying up when considering all the other teams. IMO, you can write Toronto out of the relegation mix next season, meaning we're not fighting with another newly promoted sides at the bottom. I hope I'm wrong, but think realistically we are fighting with Swinton, Rochdale, Dewsbury, Sheffield and Batley who are established Champ sides. Build a team capable of beating them without risking the financial stability of the club.

That is of course dependent on what the restructure announcement is for 2019.

I reckon next season 1 or 2 teams will get promoted to super league the RFL would hope Toronto and London or Toulouse would go up then it would be a closed shop again . As for the championship i dont think there'll be relegation next season and 3 or 4 teams will get promoted from league 1 to like they did in 2012 to make the championship up to 14 teams again. Ideally teams need to know before the season starts then they would know how to spend the budget.

1 hour ago, joe142 said:

Another centre and a full back to start

JJP was a handful yesterday

2 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Jessies staying at haven next season think dion wants to play in championship though

Get the point and I sort of agree, but if that's what people want then they need to be honest and say not only in positions but the players they think are not good enough for the Championship. Makes it a bit harder doesn't it? For instance, how do we know that the young local guys who have come into the team the last couple of seasons and done magnificently for us are not good enough? How do we know when they haven't had the chance to test themselves against better opposition? Name the guys who you think will struggle?

If you think we need a centre this or a fullback that, or whatever back division position, the implication is, that the present holders of that position aren't good enough. I disagree. We need to strengthen in numbers with experienced SL/Championship players to bring our young guys up to the next level. Lots of clubs in L1 this season operated with squads of 32/35 players. We did it with 28. Cresta has praised them but knows this is not is not sustainable in the Championship. The intensity of every match next year will be brutal against full time squads.

It may mean we may have to bring three or four players on board full time. The days of working in a job all week and playing at the weekend might just work in the lowest division but start playing with the big boys and it's doomed to failure. It's a harsh fact to face but the world has moved on. SKY has seen to that. 

To wrap this up, everyone will have their own views on where we go in the future but my own view is there is only one answer and one word. MONEY. We need it but so does everyone. How we get it, well..........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bearman said:

No he wasnt Ron he was very very poor looked totally shattered ... however Dion was superb (I think you may have got the 2 mixed up buddy)

24 minutes ago, morty said:

No he wasnt Ron he was very very poor looked totally shattered ... however Dion was superb (I think you may have got the 2 mixed up buddy)

Yes, i think I did

3 hours ago, Bearman said:

If the floaters that came yesterday came every week......

Ron, so right.  I went to Middlesbrough a few years ago in the FA Cup with 9000 Barrow supporters. The next  home gate was 1400.

14 hours ago, Bearman said:

If the floaters that came yesterday came every week......

Toronto,toulouse etc will attract a lot of the floaters.

10 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

Toronto,toulouse etc will attract a lot of the floaters.

Toronto certainly will as they are still pretty new due to not seeing them at a Craven Park this year

I'll probably go to both of the games you mention. In fact I'll probably take a box if they are available 

Edited by shawy13

17 minutes ago, wonderofwood said:

James Newton on his way to barrow 

Newts and mossop hookers next season then thought the other lad was good on sun was it ashall