Graham

Fifita and Taumololo - have chosen - so no more games for Blues or Kiwis - Fifita latest

Does that sound petty? They've made their choice and should stick to it. The idea behind this being presumably that switching back and forth between national teams repeatedly by players undermines the standing of the games and is just a way of some players manipulating the system to their own financial benefit.

Should representing your country be a serious committment or should players like Taumololo and Fifita be able to switch in and out of national teams to suit World Cups or themselves and yet switch back their allegiences to say get a place in the Blues (Fifita) team or the Kiwis team (Taumolo) again?

Edited by Graham

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Does that sound petty? They've made their choice and should stick to it. The idea behind this being presumably that switching back and forth between national teams repeatedly by players undermines the standing of the games and is just a way of some players manipulating the system to their own financial benefit.

Should representing your country be a serious committment or should players like Taumololo and Fifita be able to switch in and out of national teams to suit World Cups or themselves and yet switch back their allegiences to say get a place in the Blues (Fifita) team or the Kiwis team (Taumolo) again?

Ideally players should only be able to play for one international team. People will say it's done to strengthen the lesser nations when actually it's a safety net for the top teams. 

The up side is that the games might generally be more competitive i.e. less predictable.

Downside: basic instict says you are the nationality you were raised with. There have to be exceptions maybe when this is not so clear cut. I mean, for example Rod Stewart, born and raised in London so obviously relates to his Scottish family side that for all intents and purposes his allegiances lie with Scotland.

In sport the similar could be the case. However changing you allegiances and especially if it is more than once isn't so acceptable, surely, especially yo-yoing to suit yourself seems wrong?

Apparently Issac Luke was almost going to play for Ireland in the World Cup after missing out for NZ.

He qualifies, but was too late to get the necessary paperwork through in time.

Vossy is angry with Fifita and the way he's handled his World Cup decision.

Shouldn't play Origin again.

Can see why he left it until late to announce his swap - he'd get $90,000 for three Origin appearances.

But that's it. he's left it to the ast minute to announce his switch with how many years betrween World Cups?

No more Origin, that should be it. 

Go Vossy, go! 

I thought the rule that you had to be eligible for Australia to play SoO went out of the window when they changed the international eligibility rules and brought the tier system in? Whether dumping Australia for Tonga riles the SoO selectors into blacklisting Fifita remains to be seen.

17th January 2018

Jason Taumalolo is set to shun New Zealand for good after throwing his weight behind Tonga playing a Test in Hawaii.

Taumalolo returned to the training paddock in Townsville this week for the first time since last year’s World Cup, where the Dally M Medallist was the centre of controversy when he defected from New Zealand to Tonga.

His move, later copied by former Kangaroo Andrew Fifita, helped Tonga qualify for the semi-finals, where they went agonisingly close to beating England.

Under the current rules, Taumalolo is permitted to switch his allegiance back to New Zealand, the country of his birth. He has played 10 Tests for the Kiwis.

However the North Queensland powerhouse is expected to stick with Tonga, birthplace of his father, and play against Samoa in the mid-season Pacific Test.

I still maintain that once you have played for a country at senior level you shouldn't be allowed to switch to another country. It makes a mockery of international Rugby League in my opinion.

Well now that the new NRL season has started and the dust has settled on the World Cup it appears that Andrew Fifita at least is happy with his decision and is sticking to it.:

The NSW Blues are preparing for life without Andrew Fifita after the revelation of his long-awaited eligibility decision.

The opportunity to represent his Tongan heritage this year once again proved too good to refuse.

The debate regarding eligibility began with Fifita and his infamous walk out on the Kangaroos to represent Tonga.

While many would support his ambition, anger would be directed towards Fifita due to the fact he withdrew just prior to the opener, jeopardising Mal Meninga’s initial plans.

Without formally publicising his decision, Fifita took to Halfcast UFC Podcast. 

“I’ve been putting it off for a while now … but I won’t be playing Origin,” Fifita confirmed.

“I won’t be playing for Australia again and I’m sticking with Tonga.”

During the podcast, the 28-year old declared that ‘he had something to say’ resulting in the statement of ‘we went so well, I’m going to stick with Tonga for the rest of my playing career’.

Sharks head coach Shane Flanagan publicly backed his decision earlier in the week.

“I think he’s confident in the decision he’s going to make,” Flanagan said.

“I don’t need to advise him what he should or shouldn’t do. It’s coming from the heart.”

Let's hope they get the chance to play more than one test a year,they were a breath of fresh air in the World Cup with the rugby they played and the crowds and atmosphere they brought.

• Like 2