Wales World Cup Squad

WALES' 24-MAN SQUAD FOR RLWC2017: Courtney Davies, Steve Parry (both Gloucestershire All Golds), Chester Butler (Halifax), Danny Ansell (Hunslet), Sam Hopkins (Leigh Centurions), Michael Channing, Ben Evans, Dalton Grant, Elliot Kear, Rhys Williams (all London Broncos), Matty Barron (Newcastle Thunder), Joe Burke (Oldham), Gavin Bennion (Rochdale Hornets), Craig Kopczak (Salford Red Devils), Matty Fozard (Sheffield Eagles), Andrew Gay, Christiaan Roets (both South Wales Ironmen), Regan Grace, Morgan Knowles, Ben Morris (all St Helens), Rhodri Lloyd (Swinton Lions), Josh Ralph (Tweed Head Seagulls), Phil Joseph (Workington Town), Matty Seamark (Wynnum Manly Seagulls)

Interesting, as Wales are a country you would expect to have more non-heritage players. Obviously the numbers are adversely impacted by the likes of R Evans, Flower, Dudson and White being unavailable. Big losses. 

I am am not a zealout about heritage. I would much prefer to see a strong World Cup where Samoa, Tonga, etc can give the Big 3 a run for their money.

But a failure of the Welsh squad at the World Cup might get some heritage zealots steamed up.  However a beating for this Wales squad by PNG will very much be a victory for indigenous development, albeit only 1 that PNG or France could probably pull off.

Wales will again struggle. Rhys Evans, Flower, Dudson and White are huge losses to add to Frizzell's absence. However, you've got to applaud Kear/Wales RL for their stance as I'm sure they could have found a handful of higher ranked players to represent the country. However, Kear has always stressed loyalty to the guys who have come through qualification and made themselves available for the less glamorous games/competitions. 

But, good luck to them.

I think it is excellent so many Welsh born. It's a shame some big guns can't go. They will give it their all but this is a tough tournament. They will learn a lot and what an opportunity to be part of the WC.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

13 players from the 17 who beat Italy in Monza last year are in the squad - John Kear is sticking with those loyal to the squad where he could have chosen other 'higher' ranked players. Those selected will give their all.

A real shame there is a huge list of injured and unavailable - we will miss Dudson, White, Evans et al . - but a chance for those selected to ensure we are competitive .

Wales have not won a World Cup game since 2000 - but Kohn Kears teams have won the last 6 games. Time to start winning World Cup games again. There is good spirit in the  team and as the coach says "There's no reason Wales cannot progress poat the Pool stages". 

It will be tough, but I am hopeful

12 minutes ago, rlno1 said:

With Wales doing an excellent job with development would anyone know how many Welsh born players were in the 2000 and 2013 squads?

I think all the info you need is on the Wales Rugby League website... if not contact the WRL media manager; he has all the stats.

9 minutes ago, rlno1 said:

With Wales doing an excellent job with development would anyone know how many Welsh born players were in the 2000 and 2013 squads?

2000 welsh squad had 2 Welsh born players ex union internationals Devereux and Moriarty.  Plus 5 players who had played for England as well.  so really no home grown RL Players as both Devereux and Moriarty plied their trade up North.

1 hour ago, stevevalerugby said:

2013 squad had 8 Welsh born players

So from 2 in 2000, to 8 in 2013 and 9 in 2017 which probably would have been 14 or 15 but for injuries, shows just how well the game is developing in Wales. Can we expect come 2025 a fully born Welsh team?

Archived