Gerrumonside ref

New logo with “Manchester” in it

As a returned fan of nearly 3 years I have no objection to it whatsoever.Yes it may well be for marketing reasons but again no issue with it.It might I hope bring more sponsors on board and bring new fans to the fold.West Ham they have London at the bottom of their club badge.

As for Manchester Rangers well from what I hear the RFL are trying to make Swinton merge with them,well Nigel Wood you can go and yourself you .

• Like 1

Probably opening a right can of worms here but I'm genuinely interested in the addition of "Manchester" to the badge.

According to what I have read it seems like Swinton was always historically a part of Salford (according to Wikipedia), then a separate entity Swinton and Pendlebury ,then reverted to Salford as it is now since the boundary changes in 1974.

Has Swinton ever actually been a part of Manchester, even though most shops/services etc state Swinton, Manchester.

Salford Council gave the club a loan of £60000 and then they whack Manchester on the badge lol.

As you say Rob, not that it matters to me ,but I reckon it's for the reasons you state.

Anyway, good luck next season and hopefully the new badge will increase coverage and gain some new supporters. 

Edited by roughyed34
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, roughyed34 said:

Probably opening a right can of worms here but I'm genuinely interested in the addition of "Manchester" to the badge.

According to what I have read it seems like Swinton was always historically a part of Salford (according to Wikipedia), then a separate entity Swinton and Pendlebury ,then reverted to Salford as it is now since the boundary changes in 1974.

Has Swinton ever actually been a part of Manchester, even though most shops/services etc state Swinton, Manchester.

Salford Council gave the club a loan of £60000 and then they whack Manchester on the badge lol.

As you say Rob, not that it matters to me ,but I reckon it's for the reasons you state.

Anyway, good luck next season and hopefully the new badge will increase coverage and gain some new supporters. 

Well long ago Swinton as indeed most of what is now Greater Manchester was in a sub division of Lancashire or the Salford Hundred long,long before I was born.

Yes then of course eventually Swinton and Pendlebury became an Urban District but as far as I know was still in the main run by Lancashire County Council because the town population was not big enough to run it's own affairs independent of the County Council like say Bolton or Wigan or even Rochdale,Oldham,Bury,St Helens and others who were County Boroughs.You could say that system was confusing or a dogs breakfast.

Now I read that London became a County in it's own right long before the current Greater London boundaries which came into force in 1965 and something similar was planned many years ago for Manchester but the war intervened so it is possible that had WW2 not broken out Greater Manchester or a County of Manchester would have been created long before 1974 which no doubt Swinton and towns within say a 12 mile radius,of which there are plenty of would have been transferred into a Manchester County Council area.Indeed something was said years prior to what is now known as Greater Manchester that Lancashire more than it knows is growing another London and suggesting that a Greater Manchester was being created right under it's nose.And of course eventually Greater Manchester was born.And as for Swinton,no it has never been a part of the City of Manchester but going back to London most of both the old County of London and the modern day Greater London originally were to my knowledge never a part of London but is now generally accepted so by that token even though Swinton politically comes under the boundaries of Salford City Council is a part of Manchester so getting back to the badge putting Manchester on the bottom of it is no problem at all and West Ham have London on their badge at the bottom too.

And even though Salford City Council have given a loan to Swinton I don't think they will be bothered At Manchester on the badge.In fact if at the bottom of the badge it said Salford then somehow I think Salford Red Devil's might be a bit upset at what they might perceive to be duplicating their name.

And as for Manchester going at the bottom of the badge it has in the main been well recieved by the Swinton fans,myself included in fact I once suggested it at a meeting.

Anyway thanks for your input yes I hope it works as well and may I return the compliment and I hope Oldham have a successful season next year and can bounce back into the Championship straight away and have all three of us Oldham,Swinton and Rochdale in the Championship in 2019 and you never know maybe with both Salford and Leigh in tow too if the former go down and the latter doesn't go up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh eck, this can of worms.

I must admit that when I first saw the logo with the word Manchester on it, I was a bit surprised.  I've always thought of Swinton as a part of Salford.  

Greater Manchester is just a political area for the sake of local governance and that makes sense.  Most of the area however is contained within the geographic county of Lancashire.  I've never written Oldham, Greater Manchester, always Oldham, Lancs.

Politicians and how they govern is a fluid thing and can change over time.  Hills, fields and towns though are immutable, you can't change geography.

It'd be cool to see Lancashire at the bottom of the new Swinton Logo.  If there's a desire to be recognised as part of Greater Manchester (which isn't a county in a geographical sense), put that then.  Manchester and Greater Manchester are two different things.

Anyway, what do I know.  I crossed the great divide to the east many years ago to the land where chippies are called fisheries and they have cheese and Christmas cake together.

• Like 2

Glad to see in the main Swinton keeping with tradition with the new badge only difference seems to be Manchester at the bottom. When I first saw it I thought it may ruffle some feathers as I've always regarded Swinton as part of Salford (rightly or wrongly). I live in Failsworth which is part of Oldham borough, try telling that to the locals though! It was always Manchester and is still viewed as such. 

Hope you have a good season and id be delighted if we can join you at the first time of asking 

• Like 1

I have a friend who is from Swinton and his mum still lives there and he says Swinton is Swinton and isn't a part suburb of Salford and he doesn't want to be associated with Salford. 

As a former player for Swinton, in the bury days, I was sad to see that the club left station road, we trained at Salford University the old race course. I could never feel comfortable playing in Bury

I am pleased that you have found a temporary home at heywood road and I am pleased that jeffo, ceo of salefc is treating you well 

I always have a soft spot for Swinton. But Swinton is Swinton not Salford sale or bloody Manchester 

But marketing is king these days