Sign in to follow this  
Jim Prendle

Wigan sign Gabriel Hamlin

Where is our resident south expert when we need him? 

I wonder what part Maguire played in helping with this, given his recently severed links there...

9 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I wonder what part Maguire played in helping with this, given his recently severed links there...

Who is our resident Souths expert?

No one can afford to sign established Aussie stars these days, so if a young up and coming player is prepared to spend a couple of years at a big UK club (especially forwards as they have a later breakthrough date generally) then thats a good option for everybody.   Although forwards are a plenty in this hemisphere!   Certainly would like to see a few exciting backs trying their luck over here though.

As a Warrington fan I hope Price can find us a young Aussie half to complement Livett or Brown, if rumours are true that Patton is leaving.   Looks like Roberts and Maloney were just using us as a bargaining tool.

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I don't know whether the pied piper Shaun Wane would have needed any help.

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

He'll be off dreaming up some more Melbourne Storm conspiracy theories.

41 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

No one can afford to sign established Aussie stars these days, so if a young up and coming player is prepared to spend a couple of years at a big UK club (especially forwards as they have a later breakthrough date generally) then thats a good option for everybody.   Although forwards are a plenty in this hemisphere!   Certainly would like to see a few exciting backs trying their luck over here though.

As a Warrington fan I hope Price can find us a young Aussie half to complement Livett or Brown, if rumours are true that Patton is leaving.   Looks like Roberts and Maloney were just using us as a bargaining tool.

Leigh have managed to sign a pretty good one,to me it looks like Lenaghan shopping in the bargain bin section,i.e Isa,Tautai,FPN,Leuluai & Gelling.

Not one to inspire the missing support back.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Desert Skipper said:

Spoke to Pattons grandfather a few weeks ago and he stated he was going nowhere, maybe the new coaching set up has changed things, also Salford is no longer an option to get a better contract. 

34 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Spoke to Pattons grandfather a few weeks ago and he stated he was going nowhere, maybe the new coaching set up has changed things, also Salford is no longer an option to get a better contract. 

Was hoping the Koukash walk-out would result in Patton staying.   I’ll be the first to admit he wasn’t the real deal last season, but then he was one of many and also playing behind a beaten pack.

This is now a chance for a fresh start, hopefully Price will have no preconceptions and give the chance to stake a claim with some smart rugby.   He’s one of the best in the league at kicking for territory, and with a bit of confidence we might see him take on the line a bit more.

And his mum is from Blackpool, so eligible for the England jumper if he's any good.

Maybe that's the way to go beat the Aussies in the longer term, find good Aussie under 20's (cheap) with solid English blood lines and get them over in SL. Clubs benefit, so does the national side.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Leigh have managed to sign a pretty good one,to me it looks like Lenaghan shopping in the bargain bin section,i.e Isa,Tautai,FPN,Leuluai & Gelling.

Not one to inspire the missing support back.

Happier signing young talent than taking on the likes of FPN who's taking up a big bunch of space on our cap. Leuluai didn't work out but he has previously shown his quality and Tautai and Gelling have been pretty effective at times. 

3 minutes ago, wackojacko said:

Happier signing young talent than taking on the likes of FPN who's taking up a big bunch of space on our cap. Leuluai didn't work out but he has previously shown his quality and Tautai and Gelling have been pretty effective at times. 

Tautai has had a couple of decent games,he drops more balls than Castleford on s wet night in Manchester, Gellings brainfarts outnumber his good moments,bags of potential but how long do we need to wait before he realises it.

Our track record in signing imports has been shocking in recent times,the squad needs a overhaul and a 20yr old from a poor NRL side isn't the answer even if he has potential to be a good player in the future.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Tautai has had a couple of decent games,he drops more balls than Castleford on s wet night in Manchester, Gellings brainfarts outnumber his good moments,bags of potential but how long do we need to wait before he realises it.

Our track record in signing imports has been shocking in recent times,the squad needs a overhaul and a 20yr old from a poor NRL side isn't the answer even if he has potential to be a good player in the future.

Pro: Tautai has improved in many areas since his rather underwhelming early days. Gelling, if he gets a full season without injury, still has much to offer.

Con: Leuluai has not rediscovered the form of his first stint at Wigan. FPN has not been memorable at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

It may not be the answer but that doesn't mean it's a bad signing. Futtocks has answered the rest better than I could.

2 years. He is effectively a replacement for Navarette, who didn't settle but may be back at the Cats, so I suspect we have massively upgraded. 

As to other signings, if we play Leuluai at 9, the whole team will benefit, Tautai is a good player, Gelling is so entertaining that I would forgive him his moments of madness. FPN is being asked to do 3 men's work, and so plods along. With the right balance and some decent coaching, there is not a lot wrong with the recruitment. 

• Haha 1

This sort of signing is perfect in a salary capped sport. A young hungry player who hasn't quite cracked it in the NRL. The last thing clubs want to be doing is blowing 1/5 of their salary on a big name signing. 

8 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

2 years. He is effectively a replacement for Navarette, who didn't settle but may be back at the Cats, so I suspect we have massively upgraded. 

As to other signings, if we play Leuluai at 9, the whole team will benefit, Tautai is a good player, Gelling is so entertaining that I would forgive him his moments of madness. FPN is being asked to do 3 men's work, and so plods along. With the right balance and some decent coaching, there is not a lot wrong with the recruitment. 

Really,both Tomkins resigned on big money and both are shadows of the players that left

Isa and Tautai bang average at best.

Leuluai shot and well past his best.

FPN been on a downward spiral hence the Rooster then the Raiders off loading him.

Gelling infuriatingly inconsistent despite being at the club a few years now.

Naverette,not even going there

Maybe this lad is a huge talent that has miraculously slipped under the radar but at his age if he goes well he'll be off back to the NRL in no time.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Maybe this lad is a huge talent that has miraculously slipped under the radar but at his age if he goes well he'll be off back to the NRL in no time.

According to the announcement he hasn't exactly slipped under the radar. If he comes to Wigan recommended by Maguire and Richards, then, in my opinion, he is very welcome and I hope he rips it up.

Far from being a continuance of the recent failed process around recruitment, let's hope this is the start of a new way of looking at things.

You can imagine the conversation at Wigan.

Ian Lenegan:  well we didn't do as well as expected this year.  Injuries played a part but we can't really whinge about that again this year.  And the fans have been on at us for playing dull up-the-middle rugby.  Anybody any ideas?  Kris?

Kris Radlinski: [looks at Shaun Wane]

Shaun Wane: well, it may seem counter-intuitive Ian, but I think we should sign...

5 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

According to the announcement he hasn't exactly slipped under the radar. If he comes to Wigan recommended by Maguire and Richards, then, in my opinion, he is very welcome and I hope he rips it up.

Far from being a continuance of the recent failed process around recruitment, let's hope this is the start of a new way of looking at things.

The expectations of Hamlin need to be realistic, rather than seeing him as some kind of pied piper figure.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, longboard said:

The expectations of Hamlin need to be realistic, rather than seeing him as some kind of pied piper figure.

No appreciation of Robert Browning on here Longboard.  I tried that joke yesterday and only got tumbleweed.

• Like 2