When you look at the Celtic nations world cup squads surely there's enough talent there to have the three combine to challenge England in a mid season international 

• Like 1

The Celtic nations do not exist to provide opposition for England in the form of some Frankenstein team. Do you think Welsh, Scottish and Irish fans will want to support a combined team?

14 minutes ago, damp squib said:

The Celtic nations do not exist to provide opposition for England in the form of some Frankenstein team. Do you think Welsh, Scottish and Irish fans will want to support a combined team?

It could benefit all four nations. If it could be built up to a three match series. Look at central contracts for the 24 man England squad and the 24 man Celtic squad . It could also encourage England's best players to stay in Super league , like wise the Celtic players. Also could help development of the three nation's with players exposed to more quality international games till there's enough talent and depth for them to stand alone against the bigger nation's    

3 minutes ago, superten said:

It could benefit all four nations. If it could be built up to a three match series. Look at central contracts for the 24 man England squad and the 24 man Celtic squad . It could also encourage England's best players to stay in Super league , like wise the Celtic players. Also could help development of the three nation's with players exposed to more quality international games till there's enough talent and depth for them to stand alone against the bigger nation's    

I don't doubt that England would benefit from this arrangement. That's my entire point - it's solely for the benefit of England.

It's not an international game. It's a diluted Exiles concept for which there is no demand from the fans of the countries you want to become the new Exiles.

Ireland fans want to watch Ireland. Welsh fans want to watch Wales. Scottish fans want to watch Scotland. It's hard enough to build support and credibility for these international teams when they're full of heritage players on trial for England. If you stitch them all together into a fake team for the sole benefit of England you may as well just give up on RL in those countries.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Controversial, but just throwing this out there. England v a real country, France.

Hmmm I'm not sure about this. The only way I can see it working is if it's done ad hoc every 2-3 years, is held at Leigh Sports Village and we don't tell anyone about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Any chance of bringing back Great Britain vs Australia Ashes games in the UK?

I can’t help but feel France or Wales will never be competitive enough to test England no matter how much we try to help them.

In turn, I’m not sure England have what it takes to regularly test the Australians.

30 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

A Great Britain team may benefit Celtic nations

It certainly won't benefit Ireland.

13 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

A Great Britain team may benefit Celtic nations

I’d like to see:

2017: RLWC

2018: GB vs New Zealand (3 games)

2019: Ashes - Australia vs GB (3 games)

2020: New Zealand vs England (3 games)

2021: RLWC

2022: GB vs New Zealand (3 games)

2023: Ashes - GB vs Australia (3 games)

2024: Australia vs England (3 games)

2025: RLWC

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’d like to see:

2017: RLWC

2018: GB vs New Zealand (3 games)

2019: Ashes - Australia vs GB (3 games)

2020: New Zealand vs England (3 games)

2021: RLWC

2022: GB vs New Zealand (3 games)

2023: Ashes - GB vs Australia (3 games)

2024: Australia vs England (3 games)

2025: RLWC

An international calendar? In rugby league? Never gonna happen, although that's why I'd like to see too

3 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

An international calendar? In rugby league? Never gonna happen, although that's why I'd like to see too

I guess the alternative is some form of regional championships in each part of the RL playing world in between World Cup years:

England could play Wales, France, Scotland, Italy and Ireland.

Australia and New Zealand could play Tonga, Samoa and PNG.

The USA, Canada and Jamaica could have their own regional championship and so on and so on.

I suspect though that commercially the Ashes series/NZ tests would always have the edge on this alternative arrangement of internationals, it would also be less games for the players in total and would be more interesting from a UK/Australia media perspective.

Speaking purely as a punter, I want the Ashes series back.

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I guess the alternative is some form of regional championships in each part of the RL playing world in between World Cup years:

England could play Wales, France, Scotland, Italy and Ireland.

Australia and New Zealand could play Tonga, Samoa and PNG.

The USA, Canada and Jamaica could have their own regional championship and so on and so on.

I suspect though that commercially the Ashes series/NZ tests would always have the edge on this alternative arrangement of internationals, it would also be less games for the players in total and would be more interesting from a UK/Australia media perspective.

Speaking purely as a punter, I want the Ashes series back.

The Ashes is the most commercially viable tournament besides the WC. We've not heard anything on the future of the 4 nations or the continental cup which was supposed to be announced last summer

Last thing we need is made up teams. Doesn't benefit the Celtic nations. Don't see the benefit to England - should be playing against other countries. There's plenty of opposition out there 

2 hours ago, superten said:

When you look at the Celtic nations world cup squads surely there's enough talent there to have the three combine to challenge England in a mid season international 

I wouldn’t go if you paid me. Now England against France or png would be more like it.