Sign in to follow this  
Lowdesert

Wrecking Ball going + 2

Recommended Posts

Could be a definitive 2018 for Wane.  Wigan want success!

Looks like Frank won't be staying for another 2 years.  Hasn't impressed me.

Tierney, might seem an obvious shift to Dragons as could be Navarrette, who was deemed a 'long term' project, but maybe too much work!

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/wigan-warriors/nuuausala-looks-set-for-move-down-under-1-8799429

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Navarette was home sick. He got decent game time earlier in the season and had bags of enthusiasm but little else.

FPN won't be missed sadly. He could have ripped it up but he only looked arsed in the occasional game. He was instrumental in getting Wigan to the GF last year but you need a prop who offers significantly more than Frank Paul the Beach Ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both were poor signings and Tierney is down the pecking order,the squad badly needs an injection of quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, andyscoot said:

Navarette was home sick. He got decent game time earlier in the season and had bags of enthusiasm but little else.

FPN won't be missed sadly. He could have ripped it up but he only looked arsed in the occasional game. He was instrumental in getting Wigan to the GF last year but you need a prop who offers significantly more than Frank Paul the Beach Ball.

None of our props seem willing, or maybe able, to do the job required of a modern day prop. Carting the ball up strongly ala the Aussie guy Woods, doesn't look flashy, but it is what is required these days. This type of play is the basis of creating go forward and room for the backs to play. Wigan have been hindered by the fact that, even if the props created the room, our back play has been so woeful that we wouldn't have been able to take advantage of it anyway.

Tautai can't seem to run in a straight line, and FPN never looked like his heart was really in it. The only two that do cart it straight up with no frills are Flower and Clubb, and they were missing for most of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

None of our props seem willing, or maybe able, to do the job required of a modern day prop. Carting the ball up strongly ala the Aussie guy Woods, doesn't look flashy, but it is what is required these days. This type of play is the basis of creating go forward and room for the backs to play. Wigan have been hindered by the fact that, even if the props created the room, our back play has been so woeful that we wouldn't have been able to take advantage of it anyway.

Tautai can't seem to run in a straight line, and FPN never looked like his heart was really in it. The only two that do cart it straight up with no frills are Flower and Clubb, and they were missing for most of the season.

Where is a 'Neil Cowey' when you need one eh?  Doesn't seem as if SW intends to bring in many, apart from Hamlin of course.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/wigan-warriors/wane-reveals-changes-he-plans-for-2018-1-8798684

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Where is a 'Neil Cowey' when you need one eh?  Doesn't seem as if SW intends to bring in many, apart from Hamlin of course.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/wigan-warriors/wane-reveals-changes-he-plans-for-2018-1-8798684

I think that in the fullness of time we will see more people leave, and more people join, than he is claiming at the moment.

There are certain players that he simply cannot leave in place if he expects things to change drastically, as he seems to want to.

The thoughts about a new Assistant Coach are interesting, and I am looking forward to seeing who he picks for that role. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jim Prendle said:

I think that in the fullness of time we will see more people leave, and more people join, than he is claiming at the moment.

There are certain players that he simply cannot leave in place if he expects things to change drastically, as he seems to want to.

The thoughts about a new Assistant Coach are interesting, and I am looking forward to seeing who he picks for that role. 

I was going to edit my last post but I'll give you it here.....Bousquet.  Straight forward prop who imo can be the best in SL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

I was going to edit my last post but I'll give you it here.....Bousquet.  Straight forward prop who imo can be the best in SL.

I was thinking that Liam Watts might be the one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jim Prendle said:

I was thinking that Liam Watts might be the one.

I have clear memory of Cowie tearing Brisbane apart in 94.  

I doubt they would have a shot at Watts, who I rate better than Taylor and I'm a Hull fan.  Think he's not long signed an extended contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lowdesert said:

I have clear memory of Cowie tearing Brisbane apart in 94.  

I doubt they would have a shot at Watts, who I rate better than Taylor and I'm a Hull fan.  Think he's not long signed an extended contract.

Just winding you up mate. I'm not a big fan of stealing other clubs best players, but I'm also not naive enough to think it doesn't happen from time to time.

Wigan have enough young props to be going on with. They just need to be given time to develop under the right mentors. Ryan Sutton could be the best prop Wigan have ever had, but the lad needs to drop some weight, and play 50 games alongside someone like Shane Webke. I know there aren't many players like that around anymore, but Wigan could do worse than spending some of their money on a world class prop on a long contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I was going to edit my last post but I'll give you it here.....Bousquet.  Straight forward prop who imo can be the best in SL.

I fear that they're after him, sadly for us Catalans fans. I wouldn't be mad, it'd be the right career move for him and we've made him sit on the bench when he should have been first name on the sheet at 8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jim Prendle said:

Just winding you up mate. I'm not a big fan of stealing other clubs best players, but I'm also not naive enough to think it doesn't happen from time to time.

Wigan have enough young props to be going on with. They just need to be given time to develop under the right mentors. Ryan Sutton could be the best prop Wigan have ever had, but the lad needs to drop some weight, and play 50 games alongside someone like Shane Webke. I know there aren't many players like that around anymore, but Wigan could do worse than spending some of their money on a world class prop on a long contract.

Short career and money talks.  Ask Robinson, Betts, Paul ........

Yes, I like Sutton.  Without trying to be seen as annoying Wiganers, I reckon the team has developed a bickering mentality that detracts from their skills.  Sure, get in the oppositions face, a bit of sledging, a bit of buckle too when needed, but seems to have affected some players natural game.  IMO, Sutton one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

I fear that they're after him, sadly for us Catalans fans. I wouldn't be mad, it'd be the right career move for him and we've made him sit on the bench when he should have been first name on the sheet at 8.

I think he's better for it now he's improved his ball handling.  Not sure he's a long minute player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wane's piece is remarkably frank; apposite, too. 

Two omissions, I think. Discipline is one, how to win when O'Loughlin is not available is another.

Being coach is more thsn about picking players. His needs to do more, I feel, in  developing  players teamwork, playing structurd and patterns. 

Oh, and get a decent young scrum half with attitude. 

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Yes, I like Sutton.  Without trying to be seen as annoying Wiganers, I reckon the team has developed a bickering mentality that detracts from their skills.  Sure, get in the oppositions face, a bit of sledging, a bit of buckle too when needed, but seems to have affected some players natural game.  IMO, Sutton one of them.

Not sure about that, but obviously my perspective is a little different to yours.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too be honest I am surprised that Wane will still be coach.  The area's he has identified as needing change or improvement are the area's he is personally responsible for leading.

When I last watched Wigan they still seemed good until Williams was off the pitch, during that period Wigan never got past the half way line. Immediately when Williams returned they started to get deep into opposition 20.  Although yet again the final passes went amiss and chances went begging.

Without Williams they where easy to defend and yet with Williams they didn't take chances created due to poor passing at key moment.  A case of can't do it without him but then again can't do it with him at the crucial time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



100 Days That Shook Rugby League

League Express - Every Monday

Rugby League World - Oct 2017