Sign in to follow this  
Futtocks

Lebanon World Cup Squad

This is from a French site, as you'll see, who Tweeted the link.

Robbie Farah (Cap – South Sydney)
Mitchell Moses (Vice Cap – Parramatta Eels)
Danny Barakat (Wentworthville)
Jamie Clark (Auburn Warriors)
Adam Doueihi (South Sydney)
James Elias (West Newcastle)
Ahmad Ellaz (Auburn Warriors)
Nick Kassis (Blacktown Workers)
Andrew Kazzi (réserve de Wests Tigers)
Anthony Layoun (réserve de Parramatta Eels)
Michael Lichaa (Canterbury Bulldogs)
Mitchell Mamary (Wentworthville)
Bilal Maarbani (Manly Sea Eagles U20)
Abbas Miski (North Sydney)
Tim Mannah (Parramatta Eels)
Ray Moujalli (réserve de Canterbury Bulldogs)
Reece Robinson (Waratahs en Super Rugby de XV, ces deux dernières saisons)
Travis Robinson (Newtown Jets)
Chris Saab (Blacktown Workers)
Raymond Sabat (Lycans FC, Liban)
Jaleel Seve-Derbas (réserve de Wests Tigers)
Elias Sukkar (Wentworthville)
Alex Twal (Wests Tigers)
Jason Wehbe (Panasonic Wild Knights, Japon rugby à XV).

• Like 1

Initial thoughts are;

It's a decent squad, but one that should pose England with few problems. The game against France could go either way.

Only one Lebanese based player is disappointing, especially given that two current union players are included.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Initial thoughts are;

It's a decent squad, but one that should pose England with few problems. The game against France could go either way.

Only one Lebanese based player is disappointing, especially given that two current union players are included.

They all seem to have quite Arabic surnames so I assume most grew up in Lebanese households. It's not like the squad is full of Smith's or McDonald's etc...

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

What does that mean about Reece Robinson?

Looks like he's been playing RU for the Waratahs for the last two seasons. Still he was a decent enough player for Brisbane and Canberra during his RL career.

Edited by Futtocks

There is only one Lebanese-based player, but it's not as though the domestic scene has been disregarded altogether. Five guys flew over from Lebanon to take part in the training camp which determined the final selection and they're taking their heritage seriously.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/rugby-league-world-cup/if-you-dont-know-the-lebanese-national-anthem-you-cant-play-brad-fittlers-world-cup-ultimatum-20171011-gyz8tc.html

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Looks like he's been playing RU for the Waratahs for the last two seasons. Still he was a decent enough player for Brisbane and Canberra during his RL career.

Sure was 

Look out for this Alex Twal . Looks the part for Wests and Fittler was really talking him up

The fact that 1 player made it is great. Even one knows most tier 2/3 nations will call on heritage players at World Cups. The World Cup is so much bigger than anything that Lebanons admirable domestic scene has. I'm sure the vast majority of domestic players knew they were unlikely to be selected, but the fact that 1 had keeps the dream alive, and 4 others had a trip of a life time in the training camp. Read the same for domestically produced players in the Italian, Scotland and Ireland squads

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

They all seem to have quite Arabic surnames so I assume most grew up in Lebanese households. It's not like the squad is full of Smith's or McDonald's etc...

What difference does that make? If their father is Lebanese and their mother isn't are they more Lebanese than if they have an non-Lebanese father and a Lebanese mother?

Most of the Ireland heritage players have English surnames.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, damp squib said:

What difference does that make? If their father is Lebanese and their mother isn't are they more Lebanese than if they have an non-Lebanese father and a Lebanese mother?

Most of the Ireland heritage players have English surnames.

Just the optics of it I suppose

7 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Initial thoughts are;

With the Lebanese community in Australia there’s a good chance a few more were actually born in Lebanon.

It also wouldn’t surprise me if some domestic players in Lebanon were born in Australia.

Edited by Copa

2 hours ago, Copa said:

With the Lebanese community in Australia there’s a good chance a few more were actually born in Lebanon.

It also wouldn’t surprise me if some domestic players in Lebanon were born in Australia.

The only Lebanese based player in the squad was born in Australia and moved back to Lebanon when he was 14, so... Yep. Spot on

• Like 1

Pretty pathetic to only have one player. No excuses really, the Lebanese domestic scene is stronger than Ireland's, who have picked 6. People will no doubt defend it, but only one player added from the heritage side of 2000, does not suggest strong growth. 

30 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Pretty pathetic to only have one player. No excuses really, the Lebanese domestic scene is stronger than Ireland's, who have picked 6. People will no doubt defend it, but only one player added from the heritage side of 2000, does not suggest strong growth. 

Heritage does that. 

It'll be interesting to see what impact this has in Lebanon. You would think it would be big news them competing on the world stage against France, England and Australia! Could be a real catalyst there. Wonder if there is a plan or any funding available to capitalise? 

Would be great if they could host a big nation one day.

I beleive that there are 2000 domestic players in Lebanon. There is one in the Lebanon Squad. The rest are Australians. I don't want to sound negative but .....

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Frog said:

I beleive that there are 2000 domestic players in Lebanon. There is one in the Lebanon Squad. The rest are Australians. I don't want to sound negative but .....

Why change a habit of a lifetime?

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

Why change a habit of a lifetime?

So everyone that plays Rugby League in the Middle East is deemed to be not good enough to play in a World Cup. And somehow that is supposed to move our game forward.

• Like 1

2000 players is ###### too. They have five senior teams, five student teams, five women's teams and a few schools that play or are involved in development work. At best there might be about 500 players and that includes women and juniors.

1 minute ago, East Coast Tiger said:

2000 players is ###### too. They have five senior teams, five student teams, five women's teams and a few schools that play or are involved in development work. At best there might be about 500 players and that includes women and juniors.

OK , difficult to get facts and figures. My bad.