Sign in to follow this  
The Future is League

I didn't know what Rugby League was

38 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I just find statements like that hard to believe. He's either lived in a cave or incredibly ignorant as a rugby player.

Why not just take it at face value. He's not grinding an axe, far from it if you read the rest of the interview, he's just describing his own personal experience as a kid.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

I just find statements like that hard to believe. He's either lived in a cave or incredibly ignorant as a rugby player.

Massively unfair. We should reflect on what that says about the profile of our game in certain areas, not call the guy an idiot for exposing it.

There are people in big towns in Northern England who know little or nothing about RL.

• Like 10

I love reading stories like that from RL players. His first glimpse of Rugby League was seeing Wales in the 2013 World Cup. It just shows what expanding and showcasing our sport on a wider stage can do. 

I remember an old " boots n all" piece on Louie McCarthy Scarsbrook on how he got into the Broncos system. He loved the fact he had found a sport where he could smash into people! 

Maybe there was some kid at the Bristol World Cup game who we don't know of yet but was hooked by the game and will go on to play in Super League?

It is a great sport, more people need to see it.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Massively unfair. We should reflect on what that says about the profile of our game in certain areas, not call the guy an idiot for exposing it.

There are people in big towns in Northern England who know little or nothing about RL.

You really believe that someone who plays rugby at the age of sixteen in South Wales has never heard of rugby league? That takes some believing.

15 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

You really believe that someone who plays rugby at the age of sixteen in South Wales has never heard of rugby league? That takes some believing.

Why is that hard to believe?

South Wales is hardly a hotbed of Rugby League. 

And why would he lie about it anyway?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Why is that hard to believe?

South Wales is hardly a hotbed of Rugby League. 

He says he played union all of his life. Has he never heard of a very high profile union player called Gareth Thomas? Did he never wonder where Shaun Edwards materialised from? If he'd said he had heard of league but knew little of it then I could go with it but to claim he'd never heard of league is hard to believe especially when he played a version of rugby. 

Edited by deluded pom?

8 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

He says he played union all of his life. Has he never heard of a very high profile union player called Gareth Thomas? Did he never wonder where Shaun Edwards materialised from? If he'd said he had heard of league but knew little of it then I could go with it but to claim he'd never heard of league is hard to believe especially when he played a version of rugby. 

I just don't get why you think Regan Grace would lie about his own childhood.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I hadn't heard of or seen Rugby League until I was 26 and I was a Rugby Union fan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

Because, even in a positive and inspirational story like Regan Grace's, some people have to gnaw away at it to find some tiny nugget of real or imagined unacceptability, with which they can become (with a degree of exertion) very very very very very very very very unhappy. This helps blind them to all the positives - result! ;) 

• Like 8

I didn't get into RL until I was 32. I knew it existed, and that it had 13 players rather than the XV in the code I played but seriously, that's where my interest ended. I'm 36 now, the last 4 years have been an, er, sharp learning curve.

Actually, until I was 15 the difference was obviously that *they* were the professionals and *we* were the amateurs, but beyond that (and shoulder pads) I couldn't have told you anything. 15 year old me, at school in the West Midlands in 1995 *and playing RU*, could basically have told you that the only difference was they were getting paid.

Some, undoubtedly, would call that ignorance. I'd aver that it just wasn't on the radar round my way *at all* beyond the dark mutterings of so and so "going north."

6 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

I didn't get into RL until I was 32. I knew it existed, and that it had 13 players rather than the XV in the code I played but seriously, that's where my interest ended. I'm 36 now, the last 4 years have been an, er, sharp learning curve.

Actually, until I was 15 the difference was obviously that *they* were the professionals and *we* were the amateurs, but beyond that (and shoulder pads) I couldn't have told you anything. 15 year old me, at school in the West Midlands in 1995 *and playing RU*, could basically have told you that the only difference was they were getting paid.

Some, undoubtedly, would call that ignorance. I'd aver that it just wasn't on the radar round my way *at all* beyond the dark mutterings of so and so "going north."

Depends how you define "paid", when it comes to the two codes.

• Thanks 1

Growing up in Leicestershire even I was aware of Rugby League - Eddie Wareing and all that - but didn't really know that much about it

Bloody hell leave the lad alone

I am sure his comment wasnt meant to be taken literally. Like he says growing up in the depths of wales am sure it wasnt  the main topic of conversation. Am sure he watched the odd game but due to sky etc these days it is very easy not to see much of it. Living in Liverpool there are many here that dont know much about league 

He does raise a good point that league clubs should be hunting for players down there. Wont get the ones destined for Union but not that many pro clubs there now so a good player pool to go at. Also as the codes  require different skills what Union may value may be different to us.

• Like 6

I can totally understand his comments about not knowing of rl as a youngster,shows how far we have to go but also how much potential there is in these isles,lets start by getting some more free to air tv coverage 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I can believe it, many kids don't actively follow the sport they play (never mind a related sport), so I can believe he hadn't researched Shaun Edwards.  As a kid I knew many good footballers who barely saw a game if they weren't playing.  

Growing up I didn't know Rugby Union existed. My Dad was/is a Football fan and only took me to our first "Rugby" game, when Halifax played Hull KR in the Semi Final of the Cup in 1980 with some friends. My Dad is/was a big Southampton fan. But I hate Football and would struggle to name more than one or two players who ever played for them though my Dad probably mentioned many over the years. It just didn't interest me so never registed. Probably the same that Union players in South Wales may have heard of Davies, Moriarty, Offiah, Thomas etc but with them playing another sport they dont follow or even realise exists just goes in one ear out the other.

At School, we only did Football, Rugby League, Cross Country and Athletics at school. My Dad often worked Saturdays, so never saw much Sport on TV unless FA Cup Games or Winter Sports on Sunday grandstand. Halifax and others clubs signed Union players obviously but at  that stage I never was too interested in who or where the players came from. My heroes from being a teenager at that time was usually Aussies like Joe Kilroy, Michael Hagan, Geoff Robinson.

I think its very easy to not realise other sports or even versions of Rugby are played. If you are not introduced to it at School, friends and family then I think often teenagers are oblivious to anything they are not interested in at the time. Its often not until you leave school and often broaden your friends and interests that you discover other sports etc. I don't think people have an agenda as such, but it just at that time, was not something that they were interested in and didn't stick in the mind.

• Like 1

Im sorry i don't buy it either.  Plenty of people down here in the south of England dont know RL exists.  But every union player and fan ive met does.  The two games share too many players for it to be possible. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Fisher said:

Growing up in Leicestershire even I was aware of Rugby League - Eddie Wareing and all that - but didn't really know that much about it

Exactly, most folks would have heard about rugby league, but may well not "know" how it is played in any detail.

I grew up in N Ireland and was surrounded by RU. In my school you had a choice of RU or cross country for winter sports and while I was pretty rubbish at either (one of my class mates played for Ireland RU for quite a few years) and a RU legend  (Willie John McBride) had went to the school and was still then a governor.

I spent a good few years in the RN and still had no idea there was a different version of rugby (to the one I knew)

I settled in Manchester city centre for 6 years after the Navy and still had no clue about RL (I am sure I probably saw something about SCR in the paper but assumed it was basketball or ice hockey so skipped the article)

Only when I bought a house in Salford (big dog and wanted a garden..) I actually encountered RL just as Koukash was taking over.

Fan ever since (but also continue to support Ulster in the PRO14 and even if I have nothing to do visit SS).

The point being, if you are from outside some areas it is very easy to not know that RL even exists.

(BTW I still think is an issue for Salford Devils - if I didn't know better I would assume all there adverts etc were for a basketball/hockey team. If they had mentioned rugby somewhere I would have joined the party 7 years earlier. Maybe not the rugby I was expecting, but I would have went and come back.)

• Like 1

In New Zealand this wouldn't be as likely as it's a sports mad country. The tv news is about 2 thirds news and one third sport, once you've taken the adverts out. You get exposed to so many sports. However, in my day RL was never played in schools. That said, we all played RL at lunch time partly because it was easier without a ref.