Swinton Lions                   688    -116
Rochdale Hornets            666    -138
Sheffield Eagles               539    -87

The top table shows the average home crowds for the 11 Championship
games in 2017.

The bottom table shows the effect of deleting the promoted / relegated
teams and their crowds.

• Thanks 1

I have already spoken elsewhere about my surprise from a Canadian perspective at the low attendance figures for SL teams.  I don't know C1 very well so I am interested to see what you longstanding stalwart fans say about these numbers.

I know Championship is a mix of full and part time but it has to be tough for some of these clubs to be economically viable?

Edited by Captain Survival

37 minutes ago, Captain Survival said:

I have already spoken elsewhere about my surprise from a Canadian perspective at the low attendance figures for SL teams.  I don't know C1 very well so I am interested to see what you longstanding stalwart fans say about these numbers.

I know Championship is a mix of full and part time but it has to be tough for some of these clubs to be economically viable?

Don't know if you have seen this article Captain Survival? It shows the massive difference in revenue paid to the clubs.

http://www.totalrl.com/ins-outs-super-leagues-lucrative-new-tv-deal/

I wonder how some of the Championship clubs survive on there gates!

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2017 at 3:54 PM, boat builder said:

Don't know if you have seen this article Captain Survival? It shows the massive difference in revenue paid to the clubs.

http://www.totalrl.com/ins-outs-super-leagues-lucrative-new-tv-deal/

I wonder how some of the Championship clubs survive on there gates!

Thank you for the article link.

And I agree with your sentiment.  The gates for some of these clubs to me were astonishingly low but I had not wanted to make that observation without at least some corroboration from those "on the scene".

When I see these numbers, I really become more convinced that Toronto may steamroll through Championship sooner rather then later as their avg attendance already matches Hull, and it is not hard to forecast it increasing as awareness of the club grows.  I suspect they already have several thousand season tickets holders as fans lapped up a deal offered in the last slate of home games.

Perez from TWP as much as said outright in a recent interview they were already making a profit, which surprised me not at all.

In the UK, my perception is soccer dominates crowds and headlines, and everything else, even Rugby, is second fiddle.  Its so different here.  Toronto supports 7 or 8 different professional teams effortlessly, plus the farm hockey team for Toronto which plays in a suburb and draws 15k fans per game, even when the parent team is also playing.  I keep on reading the posts by skeptics who forecast the end of the world if TWP has a bad day, and its really apparent how different the cultures are since that attitude has no basis in reality here.  

Even fringe sports like roller derby draw better then some of the L1 and C1 teams.

My hats off to management and players on these teams for just making it to the field. It certainly has to be a battle every week for some of these clubs.