Sign in to follow this  
West Leeds Riviera

Fixtures 1st November

1 hour ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

League 1 will have round robin home and away fixtures and will start at the same time a season SL and Championship in 2018

That means some sort of format change for League 1 then because a round robin with 16 teams would take 30 weeks, leaving no time for Super 8's.

3 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

That means some sort of format change for League 1 then because a round robin with 16 teams would take 30 weeks, leaving no time for Super 8's.

I would imagine they wouldn't do a round-robin with more than 14 teams (no super 8s?). That would mean losing two teams. Oxford-Gloucester merger might be one, the other?

35 minutes ago, ojx said:

I would imagine they wouldn't do a round-robin with more than 14 teams (no super 8s?). That would mean losing two teams. Oxford-Gloucester merger might be one, the other?

30 weeks is the same length of season as Super League and the Championship, 23 regular season fixtures + 7 Super 8's matches. Unsure if the Oxford-Gloucestershire merger is on the cards or not but AFAIK there are no plans for any other teams to enter next year, they could possibly go with 15 and a bye week if Oxford and Gloucestershire do merge and relocate to Bristol as rumoured.

14 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

Doesn't that fact that they said it would be a round robin directly say the format has changed?

30 weeks is the same as the SL and Championship seasons, so would fit. Find it hard to believe they'd have a 30 game season though (although would be great!)

Would the gate cover the cost of the players wages? Not sure how much the guys in league 1 make so what would the average break even point be for a game in attendance?

4 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Doesn't that fact that they said it would be a round robin directly say the format has changed?

30 weeks is the same as the SL and Championship seasons, so would fit. Find it hard to believe they'd have a 30 game season though (although would be great!)

They wont be having the Super 8s format if their playing round robin system but the clubs did vote to keep the L1 Shield and scrap the L1 Cup but I think the clubs want a regular fixture list. A 14 team comp would be a better idea

7 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

A 30 game season in League 1 is really going to stretch the budgets of some of the clubs given players are paid per game 

Or increased revenue for most clubs 

35 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Or increased revenue for most clubs 

Which goes back to the question Krzzystuff asked. What is the average break even point, attendance wise, for L1 clubs?

23 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Which goes back to the question Krzzystuff asked. What is the average break even point, attendance wise, for L1 clubs?

I have no idea and I guess it depends on the club. Budgets vary considerably across the division. 

I guess you could look at it in simple terms. If playing budget was 100k then they'd need to pull in £6/7k per home game. At average £10 a ticket that would be 600-700 average gate needed. That's a very simple calculation as clubs have other revenue streams,  and some clubs have larger or smaller playing budgets than that. 

I would say at a guess (and I should say this is a complete guess) that alot of clubs would be wanting a minimum £4/5k per home game 

Edited by OriginalMrC

1 minute ago, OriginalMrC said:

I have no idea and I guess it depends on the club. Budgets vary considerably across the division. 

I guess you could look at it in simple terms. If playing budget was 100k then they'd need to pull in £6/7k per home game. At average £10 a ticket that would be 600-700 average gate needed. That's a very simple calculation as clubs have other revenue streams,  and some clubs have larger or smaller playing budgets than that. 

Cheers MrC. There are plenty of clubs in L1 who don't get anywhere near 600-700 gates so the next question is do these clubs lose money on every game they play or is the loss countered by the payments to the players being ridiculously low?

13 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Cheers MrC. There are plenty of clubs in L1 who don't get anywhere near 600-700 gates so the next question is do these clubs lose money on every game they play or is the loss countered by the payments to the players being ridiculously low?

Some clubs have budgets of 50-70k. There's also sponsorship and other revenues to take into account. Alot of clubs wouldnt need 600-700. Thats a back of fag packet calculation based on playing budget of 100k and no other revenue. 

No club has a budget of 50k as the central payment is more. From memory Oxford's playing  budget (a very different thing)  last season was outed as 70k. Realistically the only teams who MAY have run smaller are Hemel and South Wales. 

The other overheads are considerable. Realistically both Oxford and South Wales, not Hemel, were paying ground rent and probably had no bar etc. income. The owner of one League One team told me their medical bill was trending for at least 7k last season. That is a club a player walked out of over non payment of medical bills. (No idea who was right / wrong here, depends on the contract which I am not privy to.)

I doubt any club went into last season with a budget under six figures. Two seasons ago at least one of the southern expansion clubs reputedly had a budget the same size as some Championship teams.

When they started, at Iffley Road so irrelevant to last season, Oxford stated in a Total RL feature they needed, from memory, 3 - 400 paying spectators to work. 

12 minutes ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

No club has a budget of 50k as the central payment is more. From memory Oxford's playing  budget (a very different thing)  last season was outed as 70k. Realistically the only teams who MAY have run smaller are Hemel and South Wales. 

The other overheads are considerable. Realistically both Oxford and South Wales, not Hemel, were paying ground rent and probably had no bar etc. income. The owner of one League One team told me their medical bill was trending for at least 7k last season. That is a club a player walked out of over non payment of medical bills. (No idea who was right / wrong here, depends on the contract which I am not privy to.)

I doubt any club went into last season with a budget under six figures. Two seasons ago at least one of the southern expansion clubs reputedly had a budget the same size as some Championship teams.

When they started, at Iffley Road so irrelevant to last season, Oxford stated in a Total RL feature they needed, from memory, 3 - 400 paying spectators to work. 

Should say I was talking about playing budget (which for some clubs is less than the central budget). Should also say I am not an expert by any means so it's mostly guesswork. What you are saying is probably right though (about 300/400 average gate needed). Presumably some clubs make up the shortfall with sponsorship or other incomes. And yes I have also heard that 1 southern expansion club has had a sizeable budget to work with.  

With the lack of  clarity about Oxford an All Golds I should imagine 26 games home n away format. Think it is ###### poor the RFL can't let team's know what's happening so close to fixtures being announced 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, newbe said:

With the lack of  clarity about Oxford an All Golds I should imagine 26 games home n away format. Think it is ###### poor the RFL can't let team's know what's happening so close to fixtures being announced 

I agree, can’t see home and away games with more than 14 teams. Which means 2 teams gone. The plot thickens. 

I'm pretty sure the teams already know what the certain / almost certain  outcome is  They must have had provisional fixtures to sign off by now. 

Rumourson the Oxford forum their fate will be revealed on Monday. Makes sense to embargo it to be fair.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, newbe said:

In fairness to the RFL, they could be in the dark about what's happening as well and any action they might want to take is hampered by their own regulations. As far as L1 running costs are concerned, it wouldn't surprise me if most clubs lost money when they stage games - in soccer it's the reason that the Welsh Premier League format's the way it is. Some of this can be due to ground rental - a Crusaders club official told me that we're better off financially playing in front of 300 spectators at the Queensway athletic stadium than 1000 at the Racecourse Ground.