Sign in to follow this  
Scubby

For those not so pumped about the World Cup (miserable beggars welcome)

You only have to follow some of the comments on England, International RL and World Cup social media pages to gauge the level of negativity within our own sport. It is truly astounding at times. 

England have picked a #### side

We won't make the SFs

Teams involved are a joke

Wayne Bennett is a joke

Why is Betts assistant coach

Player X isn't picked from my club so I'm not watching

We've got a team full of Aussies

We give the RFL a lot of stick but as a sport we are truly a bunch of miserable beggars on the whole. Perhaps it is decades of being fed morsels of recognition, or the fierce inter-town rivalry I don't know. But those who want to have a good whinge knock yourselves out! :laugh:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Scubby said:

You only have to follow some of the comments on England, International RL and World Cup social media pages to gauge the level of negativity within our own sport. It is truly astounding at times. 

England have picked a #### side

We won't make the SFs

Teams involved are a joke

Wayne Bennett is a joke

Why is Betts assistant coach

Player X isn't picked from my club so I'm not watching

We've got a team full of Aussies

We give the RFL a lot of stick but as a sport we are truly a bunch of miserable beggars on the whole. Perhaps it is decades of being fed morsels of recognition, or the fierce inter-town rivalry I don't know. But those who want to have a good whinge knock yourselves out! :laugh:

I once sat next to a bloke wearing a Kiwi top at an England game. Turned out he was from Wakey and wanted New Zealand to win because of the lack of Trin players. "They should pick one player from each club" etc.

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

You start a thread about being pumped for the WC. You then start this thread about not being pumped for the WC. You need to get off the fence Scubster.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

You start a thread about being pumped for the WC. You then start this thread about not being pumped for the WC. You need to get off the fence Scubster.

I am trying to keep my positive thread positive lol. I have set this up and can then ignore it. Trying to lure Frog, Ed Harris and Parky over here to whine away to themselves! :laugh:

• Like 1

I know the first and third of old, but is this Harris a union poster or a flat capper? With the World Cup looking better and better with every passing day and North America going league billy these are dark days for trolls..: 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I once sat next to a bloke wearing a Kiwi top at an England game. Turned out he was from Wakey and wanted New Zealand to win because of the lack of Trin players. "They should pick one player from each club" etc.

At a Test match at the Reebok again against v. New Zealand I had the displeasure of sitting next to an imbecile who was wearing an Australian shirt, scarf and baseball cap I inquired of him of his allegience to the Australian team thinking he may be a student over here or something similar, he announced in a broad Lancashire accent " Hime a Wigginer" l pointed out that 4 of his team were on the GB team, he said he didn't care, Aus were his favourite team.

I only follow about 5 rugby league fans on twitter these days. It's not the negativity I can't take, it's the glee with which they stick the boot in.

There was one fan I was quite pally with who started to hashtag everything with #onitsarse and #dyinggame and all this whenever there was a poor game, low crowd or bad refereeing decision.

• Like 3

What World Cup is this then?

To add some genuine misery to this thread:

I'm pretty sure we're now in record territory when it comes to how long it has been since we've beaten Australia. 11 years next month, is it really likely to end in 2017?

It'll be success as long as they sell enough merchandise. It's cute to see English fans take it so seriously while Aussies barely care.

1 hour ago, Padge said:

What World Cup is this then?

Haven't you seen the ads on BBC4 Ceefax Red Button?

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Haven't you seen the ads on BBC4 Ceefax Red Button?

I only check out Teletex, though it seems to be frozen in time. A bit like Yorkshire.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Padge said:

I only check out Teletex, though it seems to be frozen in time. A bit like Yorkshire.

Ooh, you Greater Mancunians are such wags.

It is the (wilful?) ignorance that interests me, particularly in terms of the World Cup as we are clearly getting better and better each time. 

Plus, I don't get the club over country switch off till the new season perspective. Though admittedly I am in the much rather England than Wigan camp, and that might be an extreme view. 

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Ooh, you Greater Mancunians are such wags.

Very carefully chosen,  moderator friendly choice of words there. Respect.

Anyway it isn't a real world cup anybody knows that, and anybody who thinks any different duntnawwotheronabart. They're all made up countries, full of Australians, and it's all being done to line Murdoch's pockets. It isn't fair and they make you sick. 

Real fans like me duntwannernaw

Just read an interesting snippet from Wayne saying he just wants to be competitive against Oz on day one , and not exactly talking up the form of some of his players . Honesty on one hand but bit downbeat to ?

1 hour ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Very carefully chosen,  moderator friendly choice of words there. Respect.

Anyway it isn't a real world cup anybody knows that, and anybody who thinks any different duntnawwotheronabart. They're all made up countries, full of Australians, and it's all being done to line Murdoch's pockets. It isn't fair and they make you sick. 

Real fans like me duntwannernaw

Please Tyb don't become another one who posts mock outrage at every opportunity. We have more than enough of those on here.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Just read an interesting snippet from Wayne saying he just wants to be competitive against Oz on day one , and not exactly talking up the form of some of his players . Honesty on one hand but bit downbeat to ?

What he says to the media and what he says to the players may be two different things.

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Please Tyb don't become another one who posts mock outrage at every opportunity. We have more than enough of those on here.

The whole thing is a farce a joke  and a laughing stock.

All that money should be spent on the heartlands.

#morethsnthatitsaselloutandanomnishamblesandiblamewoodsashesuseless

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

I honestly didn't know that there was a world cup this year until about 2 weeks before the end of the season.

Typical of Woods. He makes you sick. You would have thought he would have informed you personally.