Sign in to follow this  
Scubby

For those not so pumped about the World Cup (miserable beggars welcome)

Recommended Posts

You only have to follow some of the comments on England, International RL and World Cup social media pages to gauge the level of negativity within our own sport. It is truly astounding at times. 

England have picked a #### side

We won't make the SFs

Teams involved are a joke

Wayne Bennett is a joke

Why is Betts assistant coach

Player X isn't picked from my club so I'm not watching

We've got a team full of Aussies

We give the RFL a lot of stick but as a sport we are truly a bunch of miserable beggars on the whole. Perhaps it is decades of being fed morsels of recognition, or the fierce inter-town rivalry I don't know. But those who want to have a good whinge knock yourselves out! :laugh:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Scubby said:

You only have to follow some of the comments on England, International RL and World Cup social media pages to gauge the level of negativity within our own sport. It is truly astounding at times. 

England have picked a #### side

We won't make the SFs

Teams involved are a joke

Wayne Bennett is a joke

Why is Betts assistant coach

Player X isn't picked from my club so I'm not watching

We've got a team full of Aussies

We give the RFL a lot of stick but as a sport we are truly a bunch of miserable beggars on the whole. Perhaps it is decades of being fed morsels of recognition, or the fierce inter-town rivalry I don't know. But those who want to have a good whinge knock yourselves out! :laugh:

I once sat next to a bloke wearing a Kiwi top at an England game. Turned out he was from Wakey and wanted New Zealand to win because of the lack of Trin players. "They should pick one player from each club" etc.

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You start a thread about being pumped for the WC. You then start this thread about not being pumped for the WC. You need to get off the fence Scubster.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

You start a thread about being pumped for the WC. You then start this thread about not being pumped for the WC. You need to get off the fence Scubster.

I am trying to keep my positive thread positive lol. I have set this up and can then ignore it. Trying to lure Frog, Ed Harris and Parky over here to whine away to themselves! :laugh:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the first and third of old, but is this Harris a union poster or a flat capper? With the World Cup looking better and better with every passing day and North America going league billy these are dark days for trolls..: 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I once sat next to a bloke wearing a Kiwi top at an England game. Turned out he was from Wakey and wanted New Zealand to win because of the lack of Trin players. "They should pick one player from each club" etc.

At a Test match at the Reebok again against v. New Zealand I had the displeasure of sitting next to an imbecile who was wearing an Australian shirt, scarf and baseball cap I inquired of him of his allegience to the Australian team thinking he may be a student over here or something similar, he announced in a broad Lancashire accent " Hime a Wigginer" l pointed out that 4 of his team were on the GB team, he said he didn't care, Aus were his favourite team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only follow about 5 rugby league fans on twitter these days. It's not the negativity I can't take, it's the glee with which they stick the boot in.

There was one fan I was quite pally with who started to hashtag everything with #onitsarse and #dyinggame and all this whenever there was a poor game, low crowd or bad refereeing decision.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What World Cup is this then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To add some genuine misery to this thread:

I'm pretty sure we're now in record territory when it comes to how long it has been since we've beaten Australia. 11 years next month, is it really likely to end in 2017?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'll be success as long as they sell enough merchandise. It's cute to see English fans take it so seriously while Aussies barely care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Padge said:

What World Cup is this then?

Haven't you seen the ads on BBC4 Ceefax Red Button?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Haven't you seen the ads on BBC4 Ceefax Red Button?

I only check out Teletex, though it seems to be frozen in time. A bit like Yorkshire.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Padge said:

I only check out Teletex, though it seems to be frozen in time. A bit like Yorkshire.

Ooh, you Greater Mancunians are such wags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is the (wilful?) ignorance that interests me, particularly in terms of the World Cup as we are clearly getting better and better each time. 

Plus, I don't get the club over country switch off till the new season perspective. Though admittedly I am in the much rather England than Wigan camp, and that might be an extreme view. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Ooh, you Greater Mancunians are such wags.

Very carefully chosen,  moderator friendly choice of words there. Respect.

Anyway it isn't a real world cup anybody knows that, and anybody who thinks any different duntnawwotheronabart. They're all made up countries, full of Australians, and it's all being done to line Murdoch's pockets. It isn't fair and they make you sick. 

Real fans like me duntwannernaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read an interesting snippet from Wayne saying he just wants to be competitive against Oz on day one , and not exactly talking up the form of some of his players . Honesty on one hand but bit downbeat to ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Very carefully chosen,  moderator friendly choice of words there. Respect.

Anyway it isn't a real world cup anybody knows that, and anybody who thinks any different duntnawwotheronabart. They're all made up countries, full of Australians, and it's all being done to line Murdoch's pockets. It isn't fair and they make you sick. 

Real fans like me duntwannernaw

Please Tyb don't become another one who posts mock outrage at every opportunity. We have more than enough of those on here.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Just read an interesting snippet from Wayne saying he just wants to be competitive against Oz on day one , and not exactly talking up the form of some of his players . Honesty on one hand but bit downbeat to ?

What he says to the media and what he says to the players may be two different things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Please Tyb don't become another one who posts mock outrage at every opportunity. We have more than enough of those on here.

The whole thing is a farce a joke  and a laughing stock.

All that money should be spent on the heartlands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#morethsnthatitsaselloutandanomnishamblesandiblamewoodsashesuseless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

I honestly didn't know that there was a world cup this year until about 2 weeks before the end of the season.

Typical of Woods. He makes you sick. You would have thought he would have informed you personally.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



Rugby League World - Dec 2017

Rugby League Books On Sale Here

League Express - Every Monday