Sign in to follow this  
Bearman

Sonny Bill Williams

According to todays Daily Mail New York have targetted Money Bill for their team roster.

He won't be the last "name" as the publicity is cranked up over the next 18 months.

These business men must see some serious potential in the game of RL. I mentioned it before. They probably look at how the game is run in the UK, almost like an old printing company that refuses to go digital, but has a loyal client base. They know that with some investment they can take the business/game to the next level.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Jamie Soward declares a coaching interest, in there is a link to Sam Burgess potentially putting himself in the ring too.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/nrl/jamie-sowards-ambitious-play-for-new-york-rugby-league-role/news-story/03e532e4713de6c311ceb88f1f84c40c

What is fantastic here is that all of a sudden, UK RL is a talking point in the NRL as New York have applied to be part of our structure. Could pull their heads out of the sand on international issues. I wonder if it was suggested the the WCS would be hosted in North America next season, we might all of a sudden have some takers? I suggest we go for it, have Cas and Leeds play Toronto (League 1 winners) and Toulouse (Champ Shield winners) in semi finals in Montreal's Olympic Stadium, final at Elland Rd the following week. I'm sure Mr Perez would cherish the opportunity to get the N American focus back on his bids,  and we can let the Aussies squirm at what they are missing out on.

5 minutes ago, JoneslessBishop said:

What is fantastic here is that all of a sudden, UK RL is a talking point in the NRL as New York have applied to be part of our structure. Could pull their heads out of the sand on international issues. I wonder if it was suggested the the WCS would be hosted in North America next season, we might all of a sudden have some takers? I suggest we go for it, have Cas and Leeds play Toronto (League 1 winners) and Toulouse (Champ Shield winners) in semi finals in Montreal's Olympic Stadium, final at Elland Rd the following week. I'm sure Mr Perez would cherish the opportunity to get the N American focus back on his bids,  and we can let the Aussies squirm at what they are missing out on.

Absolutely! It's time we don't rely on the Aussies and instead make our inroads into new markets. They'll sit up and take notice in no time, especially with the subsequent lucrative tv deals that will no doubt pop up when the NY team takes off

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoneslessBishop said:

If we see Hayne and Burgess playing in the U.K. it will be far from lowering the quality! 

In isolation they would up the quality yes(although unlikely to ever happen because of the cap) but you would think the rest of the team would be made up of Sl and Championship players which would dilute the quality of those competitions.

17 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

In isolation they would up the quality yes(although unlikely to ever happen because of the cap) but you would think the rest of the team would be made up of Sl and Championship players which would dilute the quality of those competitions.

I'm sure with a globally recognised team, a global talent pool will be interested.  PNG, Fiji and other Pacific nations may be tempted over Australia perhaps.  Not sure what the implications of Kolpak, if any, might be in a US team in a European league either, so there may be options other than British players.  Early days.

20 minutes ago, CanaBull said:

I'm sure with a globally recognised team, a global talent pool will be interested.  PNG, Fiji and other Pacific nations may be tempted over Australia perhaps.  Not sure what the implications of Kolpak, if any, might be in a US team in a European league either, so there may be options other than British players.  Early days.

With that in mind what effect could brexit have on this?

I think we need to remeber that we are not talking about a Big Bang approach where we all of a sudden have 6 new teams in SL. It will be gradual. Toronto in 2 years, maybe NYC in 3, maybe Montreal/ Hamilton in 3-4. We might jump to a 14 team SL in 2019, and two conferences of 8 may be the long term end game. But just as some Leigh players have joined HKR next season, there will be some churn from the U.K. to supplement these squads and like this article and you and others  suggest, Australia (thus including PNG and  Fiji) will also fill the void.

We all hear that the grassroots game here is dying, lack of enough academies and reserve teams see talent lost from the game and the U.K.-Oz salary cap differential means we don't attract the Aussies we did 10 years ago. If the income and profile that these developments offer don't start to reverse those trends, nothing will. And even if there is a short term dilution of talent in SL, all the above factors suggest it is diluted compared to 10 years ago, but I enjoyed last season more than I have a season for a long time, and a slight drop in quality will be worth it for the commercial and profile benefits 

Edited by JoneslessBishop

12 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I'm sure that could have a short, say 100 page, thread all its own! :)

• Like 1

I would be astonished if there weren't Aussie businessmen behind these ventures, which might throw a different light on the "What have the aussies ever done for international development" line. It may make sense to consider the east coast and Canada as our target area and the west coast as the South Pacific target area. We spent a few weeks in California this summer (anything to get away from Wigan's worst run for a century) and I was surprised by and interested in the links there with the Pacific islands. I was told that Hawaiians in particular have very strong links with both samoas and the other island races. Difterent days but nearer time wise than to us if my maths is correct... 

Big difference between Aussie business men (like argyle at Toronto) and the NRL.

Agree on the divvying up though. I have always thought that Hawaii would be a great place for a NRL club to tap into the US market

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark S said:

These business men must see some serious potential in the game of RL. I mentioned it before. They probably look at how the game is run in the UK, almost like an old printing company that refuses to go digital, but has a loyal client base. They know that with some investment they can take the business/game to the next level.

I really hope so.

6 hours ago, Mark S said:

Whether you agree with that or not, it's well expressed.

6 hours ago, Mark S said:

Chalk and Cheese almost. Having a loyal base of litho customers is irrelevant when it comes to digital. You have to invest in completely new kit and start targetting new people.

Traditional print and digital are worlds apart.

It does boggle mind to think of NY starting in League 1 - and then running out for their first match at Hemel with Sonny Bill, Big Sam and the Hayne Train in their line up...

Won't happen like that of course, but it is kinda funny to picture it ;) 

7 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Cue Evil Homer.

I was literally going to joke about them signing SBW on one of the other threads. Throw in Cameron Smith and Inglis too. What a team this is going to be.

Edited by Evil Homer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JoneslessBishop said:

Big difference between Aussie business men (like argyle at Toronto) and the NRL.

Agree on the divvying up though. I have always thought that Hawaii would be a great place for a NRL club to tap into the US market

In what way would they be different? 

6 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

My instant, gut reaction to your question, TBO, is 'None', but I admit I have not yet given this too much thought. 

We are talking here about the factors that will come into play when an American-based professional sports club wishes to employ players.  Who they can employ from overseas will, I presume, be determined by USA employment law.  I cannot see there would be anything Brexit-related to stop them coming across to play teams from this country (or indeed France), just as non-EU clubs in other sports currently do.

Have I missed something?  Out of interest, did you think that Brexit could be an issue here?

12 hours ago, CanaBull said:

You know there are probably about 7 guys from the PNG Hunters and that are super cheap to sign that are would be great in the English game. 

• Like 2

I am prepared to come out of retirement if the money is right.

$300k a season with bonuses and a 5 year deal would work.

19 hours ago, jpmc said:

In what way would they be different? 

Because the NRL won't even cosnsider expansion in Australia whilst Argyle is funding the most ambitious expansion the game has ever seen