Tyrone Roberts to The Wire.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I don't think they were the best examples tbh, and it's not a particularly great debate as there are examples of successes and failures, but Michael Monaghan had played over 100 games for Canberra and Manly in the NRL and Joel had played for the Kangaroos in a World Cup Final.

At our club the likes of Brent Grose is probably a better example. Great player at Warrington imho.

Dave Mike came over because he couldn't get his preferred position and although he may have played the amount you state he was never first choice and covered half back and hooker roles, I am not playing down his qualities but he was your average squad player in the Nrl. 

One more prop and hopefully Murdoch Masila to come, then we have a solid pack for Roberts to work behind. Combine his attacking skills with Kevin Brown's kicking game and we might just be back in the mix next year.
There are more announcements to come off the field too, so we really are blowing away the cobwebs.

Well done Wire.

51 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Are you saying people who aren't top players in the NRL get to be Australian internationals? 

Not every player who pulls on the green and gold are top players, there are a few who gain the odd cap but I rated both of the Monaghan brothers and agree they achieved one cap between them, the comments I wrote were in response to Konkretes comment on another bang average player and our game is littered with players who were not top players in the NRL but had successful careers over here. 

3 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

the comments I wrote were in response to Konkretes comment on another bang average player and our game is littered with players who were not top players in the NRL but had successful careers over here. 

Chris Hicks

Just now, Roy Boy said:

They would if the money was right!

I have had this conversation many times over. If this is the case, why hasn’t it happened?

The simple fact is, the monies between the SL and NRL are incomparable. The NRL cap is three times that of SL. Even bang average NRL players will be marquee signings. Look at Daly Cherry-Evans, his $1million dollar contract would require a SL club to offer him £600k just to match it, which is probably beyond the reach of most of not all clubs. From the players perspective why would you move across the globe for the same cash? You would need to add, say, 25% to that: £750k!

kevin Ellis was my favourite surprise success at Wire. Loved watching him play. 

Well, they have a coach who has recently left the NRL. And he looks like an excitement machine which is exactly the sort of player we love and often thrives over here, so it looks a great signing to me.

Bit odd for an FC fan to be knocking signing someone who wasn't lighting up the NRL - Fonua was well down the pecking order there wasn't he? And as for player development, at least Wire has its own junior set up last time I looked...

46 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

kevin Ellis was my favourite surprise success at Wire. Loved watching him play. 

Well, they have a coach who has recently left the NRL. And he looks like an excitement machine which is exactly the sort of player we love and often thrives over here, so it looks a great signing to me.

Bit odd for an FC fan to be knocking signing someone who wasn't lighting up the NRL - Fonua was well down the pecking order there wasn't he? And as for player development, at least Wire has its own junior set up last time I looked...

I agree with Fonua - Obviously Motu spotted something in the kid...  What I am saying is until Tyrone proves his worth don't go all gooey just yet!

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

Well we needed a half which was a huge weakness for us this year. Wr also needed a centre solution and a dynamic forward. Recruitment is going ok. 

A lot of tge remainibg players are better than they were this year. Another big signibg would be nice but we could run with what we have.

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Well we needed a half which was a huge weakness for us this year. Wr also needed a centre solution and a dynamic forward. Recruitment is going ok. 

A lot of tge remainibg players are better than they were this year. Another big signibg would be nice but we could run with what we have.

I remember typibg while holding a toddler... ?

2 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Not every player who pulls on the green and gold are top players, there are a few who gain the odd cap but I rated both of the Monaghan brothers and agree they achieved one cap between them, the comments I wrote were in response to Konkretes comment on another bang average player and our game is littered with players who were not top players in the NRL but had successful careers over here. 

Joel played 5 times for Australia.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Joel played 5 times for Australia.

And he would have had more if it wasn’t for his animal tendencies. 

Michael played half a lot over there and was fairly average but his career went to new heights when he transformed into hooker over here

The most encouraging thing is that he’s 26 years old, in his prime, and not fleeing bad publicity over a cocaine induced, hotel defecating dog fellatio incident on which he placed an illegal bet.

I think.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

There are only 16 NRL clubs so surely there are good players who don't get a fair whack.

Look at Mitch Garbutt. I'm sure in the form he is in could get a gig at several NRL clubs.

Look at Ken Sio , Zeb Taia, Josh Hodgson or Elliot Whitehead all of them were deemed pretty average in SL but all got starting gigs in the NRL.

Crikey, there's been an outbreak of positivity.  Maybe Roberts can compliment our home grown players and "do a Leeds" next year, coming back up the table into contention.... 

Or we can "do a Konkrete" - drag the mood down by automatically objecting to everything and deriding anything remotely positive.

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

I don't think they were the best examples tbh, and it's not a particularly great debate as there are examples of successes and failures, but Michael Monaghan had played over 100 games for Canberra and Manly in the NRL and Joel had played for the Kangaroos in a World Cup Final.

At our club the likes of Brent Grose is probably a better example. Great player at Warrington imho.

And Nat Wood. Fewer players to don a Wire shirt gave more than he in every game.

44 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

And Nat Wood. Fewer players to don a Wire shirt gave more than he in every game.

Yep. Excellent player for Wire Nat Wood. First try at the new ground too.

Grose was always a favourite, classic centre, could glide through a defence and put his winger in, and when he then moved to fullback he scored some absolute beauties.

1 hour ago, Leeds Wire said:

Crikey, there's been an outbreak of positivity.  Maybe Roberts can compliment our home grown players and "do a Leeds" next year, coming back up the table into contention.... 

Or we can "do a Konkrete" - drag the mood down by automatically objecting to everything and deriding anything remotely positive.

Indeed. Nice that only couple have gone down the predictable route. Normally a lot more, which suggests he may be ok!

2 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

The most encouraging thing is that he’s 26 years old, in his prime, and not fleeing bad publicity over a cocaine induced, hotel defecating dog fellatio incident on which he placed an illegal bet.

I think.

Give the lad time. 

Archived