Sign in to follow this  
Evil Homer

Villeneuve aims for League 1 2020

Very interesting, so not only do we have the potential of new North American teams, the continual push apparently by Manchester (which I favour but seems to be a long shot but do not want to sidetrack this thread on that topic) but also Villeneuve desiring to step onboard as well!

Its going to be busy years post 2018.  I can tell you that if we get both Montreal and Villeneuve,  plus NY, plus already in the mix are TO and the Catalans fans in Toronto, Montreal, and dare I say NY (who will like the international flavour) will be very interested IMHO.

3 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

It is good for Villeneuve plus moving the English and French game closer together, which I think is good for both countries. The UK public seem to be happy. I'm unsure what the average French fan thinks of this trend. Maybe some of the French based contributors can let us know what the general attitude is across the channel. 

Not sure these international teams work for L1. Why not regionalise the third tier for the Northern Hemisphere:

• League One (English/Welsh teams)
  • Elite 1 (French)
  • USARL (USA/Canada)

Have the top two L1 sides and the winners of Elite 1 and USARL play off for a place in the Championship. It's too much for part-time teams to travel so much. These teams can also prove their value in their off field endeavours.

Edited by ojx
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, winnyason said:

Need to be based in agen 

30km away in a small city with a Top 14 RU club? Why?

1 hour ago, ojx said:

Not sure these international teams work for L1. Why not regionalise the third tier for the Northern Hemisphere:

• League One (English/Welsh teams)
  • Elite 1 (French)
  • USARL (USA/Canada)

Have the top two L1 sides and the winners of Elite 1 and USARL play off for a place in the Championship. It's too much for part-time teams to travel so much. These teams can also prove their value in their off field endeavours.

Why would they need to play off for promotion ? , if we have a franchised SL then surely the Championship should become the same 

2 hours ago, RayCee said:

It is good for Villeneuve plus moving the English and French game closer together, which I think is good for both countries. The UK public seem to be happy. I'm unsure what the average French fan thinks of this trend. Maybe some of the French based contributors can let us know what the general attitude is across the channel. 

It might be good from our perspective Ray but I worry that if four or five teams leave the French leagues to link up with the UK leagues that the game in France will suffer hugely. Imagine if the boot was on the other foot and we lost Wigan, Leeds, Hull and St Helens (for example) to a foreign league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonM said:

30km away in a small city with a Top 14 RU club? Why?

So a town of 30 thousand is better idea than catchment of 300 thousand. Plus there had success years ago taking games.

catalans had to do it if there serious then this needs to be looked at 

I wonder how many club bosses look at what might be happening in North America and think “we have to get in that system “?

The bottom line for me is whether the RFL can find the money to make the Championship and League 1 even more compelling by having English based teams both financially and rugby competitive. It's in our best interests really because ultimately Super League cannot absorb an infinite number of new teams.

Taking games there is one thing - being based entirely there is another. Catalans haven't moved to a different city entirely. Agen is really not that big compared to Perpignan.

League One cannot cope with more than one non UK team a season ! Look at the complaints from Barrow regarding two trips. This will have to managed very well or we lose as many teams as we gain!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

It might be good from our perspective Ray but I worry that if four or five teams leave the French leagues to link up with the UK leagues that the game in France will suffer hugely. Imagine if the boot was on the other foot and we lost Wigan, Leeds, Hull and St Helens (for example) to a foreign league.

That's true and the reason I wondered what the average RL follower in France thought. 

Bad idea imo. Taking all the French clubs out of Elite 1 and dumping them in League 1/Championship does what exactly? Besides the area is far too small to support a SL side. If it was a big city team, like Lyon, Bordeaux, Marseille or Paris etc, then yeah. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Bad idea imo. Taking all the French clubs out of Elite 1 and dumping them in League 1/Championship does what exactly? Besides the area is far too small to support a SL side. If it was a big city team, like Lyon, Bordeaux, Marseille or Paris etc, then yeah. 

Not every new team needs to be a Super League team. Let them in and see where the journey takes them. The championship is more than capable of becoming a pan europe competition too.

It'll be another squad of mostly French players playing at a higher standard, which can only be good for the game going forward. Assuming they achieve promotion.

Edited by David Shepherd
  • Like 4

Elite 1 has ten clubs as it is, losing Villeneuve would weaken it still further and add little or nothing to the UK set up.

• Like 1

French equivalent of Featherstone, doesn't bring much to the sport. Compared to Toulouse for example, fourth biggest city in France, a huge commercial sponsorship backing, endless potential for the sport. I've said before, but a third French team needs to be a big city team with big backers and ideally a new team, so more aren't taken away from Elite 1. Now we just need to find these backers. 

Edited by londonrlfan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Taking games there is one thing - being based entirely there is another. Catalans haven't moved to a different city entirely. Agen is really not that big compared to Perpignan.

It's about half the size, or it seems it.  Still a reasonably big place.  I spoke to a bloke about whether there are many RL sides in the Lot or Dordogne.  He said there used to be a few but about 25 years ago!

VSL still have to show their potential to win Elite 1 first.  3 or 4 sides will beat them easily right now, so imo they are a probably at least 5 years away unless they import boatloads of players.  Lezignan, St.Esteve, St.Esteve Catalans and Carcassonne aren't just going to fall asleep over that time.

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

It's about half the size, or it seems it.  Still a reasonably big place.  I spoke to a bloke about whether there are many RL sides in the Lot or Dordogne.  He said there used to be a few but about 25 years ago!

The 47 departement has had a reasonable number of teams in addition to Villeneuve, even in the last decade - Tonneins, Clairac, Trentels, Mas du Agenais, Pujols (formerly gifi-bias), Marmande etc. Lot has only had Cahors and I don't think there's been a team in Dordogne for a long time, as you say.

20 minutes ago, JonM said:

The 47 departement has had a reasonable number of teams in addition to Villeneuve, even in the last decade - Tonneins, Clairac, Trentels, Mas du Agenais, Pujols (formerly gifi-bias), Marmande etc. Lot has only had Cahors and I don't think there's been a team in Dordogne for a long time, as you say.

Barnyia might add to this as well.  There were only half a dozen teams about 5 years ago.  Not sure about Marmande but La Reole had a side.

Each town or village normally has excellent facilities. Many of them have lights and covered stands!   VSL has good facilities too.  All far, far better than the UK.

Don't see the point. Avignon or Carcassonne would add something to the League here but Villeneuve would just be playing abroad for no good reason 

• Like 3