Dave Naylor

Club Logo

Anyone seen the new Salford logo:

DMWtRCQW0AAxsRq.jpg

I'm not head over heels in love with it but it could grow on me if I was a Salfordian.  The pointy bits, the meshy bit, the wavy bits and the bees etc all have some Salford related significance.

So, it's again got me thinking about the current Oldham club logo.  I know it's the town crest and all the bits and bobs on there have some significance to historical Oldham families but for an RL logo it's just poor. I hate all the fussy heraldic bits and it doesn't have the word Oldham on there unless you spanner it in using some god-awful font at the bottom.  

I really do think we could be better represented by something more up to date.  We had the Owl discussion in the past but to be honest I feel no affiliation to those dodgy clipart efforts on the current crest.  I've played around with a crest involving mill chimneys but even those are now consigned to the history books.

Here's Dewsbury's new logo:

imagesource.php?image=27663.png

Nice and clean, print friendly, easily made into a fabric or metal badge, job's a good un.  Obviously they're able to utilise a Ram because of Dewsbury Rams.  I've given up trying to visualise a rough hat on someones's head to use for ourselves.

Swinton Lions:

9PcxeIyc_400x400.jpg

To be fair I preferred their most recent one that this replaced but whatever, it's still miles better than our thing.

Anyway, if we were to have a go at a new logo/crest, what aspects of Oldham could be on there?  Something bold that could easily be reproduced across media and look like it belongs in the 21st century and not a school report from 1967.

Did I say I hate the current crest :)

Edited by Dave Naylor
missed a word off

Think part of the problem is we are simply Oldham RLFC, Dews have rams,Swinton lions.

The badge/crest is almost untouchable without a made up name like "Bears"(-that went well 😂)

Personally I still like the coat of arms, I wouldn't be happy with some made up moniker and cheesy badge.(not that your designs are Dave!)

I do appreciate though that marketing etc is easier with a badge like Swinton/Dews. I just don't see what's wrong with our badge now.Salfords new one looks like a Blue Peter badge winner made it.

Suppose I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to these things.

People say the crest with ORLFC is difficult to market but I disagree, it worked for years,the old club shop used to sell all sorts with the crest and Oldham RLFC on it,people knew by the badge what it represented. Maybe it's lazy advertising/marketing by the club that people are not aware now. 

It's our club and town crest ,that's good enough for me. Latics did the spooky owl badge to replace the old badge and opinion is still split on that.

Oh well back to the dark ages and a shift int mill for me haha.

We could have an animal (say a bear or something) holding a rugby ball...oh hang on!!

I don’t mind the club crest but I think the club should sell more merchandise with a cartoon image of Roary on it to appeal to children/parents etc

I know we are not in a position to comment but I thought this was quite funny:22552815_1138537326277420_5599391190852606867_n.thumb.jpg.2be6e18e54d184eb496a0127e464f139.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

As it stands, the logo should just be a visual (shorthand) representation of the brand. But the club doesn't have a brand. That's not to undermine the great work you do, but have you ever been given material to work from by the club?

A brand personality assessment? A supporter brand survey? A vision? A set of business objectives? A set of values? A brand book or identity manual? Design parameters of any kind?

Edited by HomeOfTheTubularBandage

Stick a poll up on here/Twitter Dave, give an indication perhaps of what people think of a name/badge change? Be interesting to see the results.

8 minutes ago, HomeOfTheTubularBandage said:

As it stands, the logo should just be a visual (shorthand) representation of the brand. But the club doesn't have a brand. That's not to undermine the great work you do, but have you ever been given material to work from by the club?

A brand personality assessment? A supporter brand survey? A vision? A set of business objectives? A set of values? A brand book or identity manual? Design parameters of any kind?

No, but I don't think that should necessarily reflect badly on the club because there's no-one with the required skills to do that.

If you saw the adverts in the Chron before its demise, I did all those every week.  I was asked to produce them to match what Latics put out.  I used the "This is different.  League." promotion all season and followed the RFL guidelines in respect of colours, fonts and wording.  I replicated the look and feel for Twitter and Faceplant for uniformity.

I don't really consider myself a designer at all and I'm more happy pushing code blocks around a console editor but I tend to get dragged into all sorts of unfamiliar tech territory.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it but I'm a bit slow sometimes and have to learn stuff on the fly.

If we were to explore some new branding leading to a new logo and shock horror name, a set of guidelines for all would be vital to promote the club in an instantly recognisable way.

Just having a quick look at Wigan Warriors website,perfect use of a brand name yet still the same crest on the shirts as well as some stuff being marketed as Warriors. To be honest I'm not that bothered about name changes etc as long as the crest remains on the playing shirt. Anything else can be done a la Wigan. 

I wonder how many of the fans that go to renamed/branded clubs use that name to refer to their club?I bet most pies still say Wigan not warriors, Warrington-wires not wolves ,Widnes not vikings etc.

St Helens are a marketing man's dream,they have everything on a plate lol ready made name,easy badge to redesign,no competition in the logo/name,no ambiguity. Can we not just be Oldham Saints? Make everyone's life easier 😂

The trouble with our current crest is the number of rubbish versions of it floating around.  This is the one the RFL use:

18_full.png&maxwidth=250

It's clean enough but look at it in detail.  It's almost as if someone was working on it Friday afternoon and then just thought stuff it, let's run with that and get down the pub.

Those collars on the griffins.  One's got yellow stripes, one's got white stripes.  They both should be red.  On the medallion on the right griffin, what's that yellow thing, a chicken?  It should be a saddle to represent Saddleworth.  Then the griffin arms, oops, forgot to colour those in.  The beak and claws.  Same again.  

This is the crest in the council chamber:

400px-Oldham4.jpg

To try and replicate that, since you know, surely that's the right version, I created this:

oldham_rlfc_dn.png

But then you look at the abomination on the Wikipedia page for [shudder] Oldham Roughyeds:

Oldham_RL_logo.png

I drew this, which I'm now using on social media and here:

oldham_crest_dn.png

The worst bit of that is the bit in the middle ;)

Just to point out that even champions aren't perfect. I'm picking up the nipper from school soon and the playground will be full of this:

rhinos.png

Now that's long overdue a reboot.

• Like 1

What about a redesign of the old circular crest that we used to use in the eighties? I have tried finding an image but we used to sell cups with it on.

It had a sort of belt around the crest and Oldham RLFC underneath...  

• Like 1

It did Howard, it's on the front of Michael Turner's History of ORLFC book although I can't get a good pic of it. Would the crest be more acceptable without the Griffin's? We used to have the crest without those on it.

• Like 1

Branding is one of my things. It's more than just a logo it's a representation of the emotions that people attach to the business or club or anything really. Now , whatever ideas that people have there is one thing that I think should be present on the logo and that's 2 stars to represent the the 2 challenge cup wins that we've had. Or even 4 stars , 2 solid  and 2 hollow to represent our 4 in a row finals,  2 of which we won. That then attaches a bit of history, rather than just the place where we're from.

Essentially it is the Oldham town crest with a bit added on but isn't specific to the club unlike the latics badge for example.

No branding whatsoever going on really but maybe we could use bits of the crest and give it a modern makeover, perhaps an owl carrying a ball with a red and white background (though I wouldn't want it to look too much like the latics badge) perhaps also include the Griffins too..

The main problem with having a a coat of arms as your crest is that it’s not necessarily easy to pick out from any other town.

On the other hand you’ve got one of the most easily identifiable kits in rugby league and one of the best imo.

I’d use the colour scheme from that with ‘Oldham RLFC’ in clear letters if you’re looking for a revamp.

If there has to be a symbol on it why not choose a caricature of a famous Roughyed from glory days of the past holding a rugby ball while in mid flight.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

How about something like this: http://www.logoground.com/logo.php?id=5196

20142641035owlcrest.jpg

That sort of thing is fairly easy to create.  There are plenty of Owl graphics knocking around that could be used for the basis of a unique logo.

Do we all associate with Owls though?  I suppose we have to in the absence of anything else! 

• Like 1

I don't know if the owl is synonymous with Oldham RLFC more to do with Latics imho.

That said I do like the design with the owl and could always bring some references into the design that relate to RL and the history of the club.

Maybe the hat making industry could feature ? I think I recall that's where roughyeds comes from..