Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

plenty of aussies moaning (on a forum down under) about ticket prices (140 dollars) for the opening game, will be a shame if the ground at Melbourne is not sold out for this reason when they could sell cheaper tickets and make extra from the merchandise, estimating 20,000ish crowd at the min which would look poor on tv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought my tickets for this game about 2 months ago and paid about £35 for tickets behind the goal. Good value for the opening match of a World Cup in my opinion. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, leaguefan13 said:

I bought my tickets for this game about 2 months ago and paid about £35 for tickets behind the goal. Good value for the opening match of a World Cup in my opinion. 

It's exceptional value given what it is.

Quite frankly, I'll be a-sodding-mazed if it isn't packed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Putting a big international game in Melbourne is bad enough but then charging people who still don't really know what there watching $140 is just making sure its poorly attended. Should have been in Brisbane or the ACT.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely Melbourne will come through to see the Big 3 player together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is there just one ticket price? Is that the lowest, average, great seat price? Without more info....

Edited by RayCee
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RayCee said:

So is there just one ticket price? Is that the lowest, average, great seat price? Without more info....

Obviously not one ticket price Ray if al has paid less than half the $140 ones. I believe $140 is the top price other than hospitality. If we can't sell this out it will be a poor show from an allegedly sports mad city that can somehow manage to sell 80,000+ tickets for a match involving two states, neither of which contains Melbourne.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Someone was saying they have sold about 16k so far. If true, dismal.

Yup. The good news about 2013 crowds was starting to materialise at this stage that year. Although we were concerned about the opener.

And to think we were disappointed with over 40k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the figure of 16K is true, we'd be criticising this for a random series game at Huddersfield. Such a game should be close to sold out already, if not questions really should be asked.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ticket sales for the NZ games, and PNG (obviously) have been good.

They have just moved quite a few Bays from $150 (Category A) to $45 (Category C).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one of the few games where we have a like for like comparison with 2008. We got 36k for that, which was a long way from full. I had my first and last 4 and 20 "pie" there. I can't recall what I spent on tickets but it wasn't very much at all. 

I can't be bothered getting worked up about attendances for this World Cup as it has been designed for the spread of games and to get most money. Even 20 odd k will look good enough to the casual viewer in that size stadium. If we get 20 k paying 100 AUSD rather than 40 k paying 10 AUSD then it will be job done in terms of development cash.

Of course even 20 odd is a big crowd for the north, but here in the international heartland consider anything below 35 k to be disappointing. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ticket prices are absurd. Like it or not, there isn't a great deal of interest in the Kangaroos, or internationals in general, in Australia. And as much as I wish that wasn't the case, it is understandable. A few hiccups aside, we've absolutely dominated for 40 years or more. We win most games by 30. Most league fans here roll their eyes at test football. Origin is the elite game here. And until England and NZ start consistently performing at the elite level and beating us regularly, that won't change. 

Youcan't charge $85-$140 for a game and expect it to sell out. I live in Melbourne and am a keen supporter of the international game (which puts me in the minority in Australia), but even I still think that's a ripoff for what in all probability will be a 30 point Australia win against opponents that can't keep up. What chance do these prices give me of convincing friends to come?? 

Evenleague fans I know (scarce in Melbourne!) laugh at the suggestion. I will probably still go, but I'll be alone. I genuinely hope I'm wrong and it's an England win in front of 30,000 fans, because I'm terrified of what 10,000 empty seats and another limp England effort will do for the popular opinion of the tournament. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One quick look shows there are tickets for sale for adults at 45 dollars and a further upgrade is 85 dollars. £25 for a World Cup ticket jeepers what do people want.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure there aren't $45 adult tickets unless they've just slashed the prices...$45 are for concession/kids. The cheapest adult are $85. Though I do expect cheap tickets to start rolling out... Telstra customers can get 20% off now for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RS said:

One quick look shows there are tickets for sale for adults at 45 dollars and a further upgrade is 85 dollars. £25 for a World Cup ticket jeepers what do people want.

Looks like you were right - they've made some of the tickets $45. I've immediately been able to talk a few people who scoffed at $85 into coming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just embarrassing, and people should try and remember this when they criticise everything in this country and say that the NRL should just take over the RFL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ghost crayfish said:

The ticket prices are absurd. Like it or not, there isn't a great deal of interest in the Kangaroos, or internationals in general, in Australia. And as much as I wish that wasn't the case, it is understandable. A few hiccups aside, we've absolutely dominated for 40 years or more. We win most games by 30. Most league fans here roll their eyes at test football. Origin is the elite game here. And until England and NZ start consistently performing at the elite level and beating us regularly, that won't change. 

Youcan't charge $85-$140 for a game and expect it to sell out. I live in Melbourne and am a keen supporter of the international game (which puts me in the minority in Australia), but even I still think that's a ripoff for what in all probability will be a 30 point Australia win against opponents that can't keep up. What chance do these prices give me of convincing friends to come?? 

Evenleague fans I know (scarce in Melbourne!) laugh at the suggestion. I will probably still go, but I'll be alone. I genuinely hope I'm wrong and it's an England win in front of 30,000 fans, because I'm terrified of what 10,000 empty seats and another limp England effort will do for the popular opinion of the tournament. 

I'll take 28 points start.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



Rugby League World - Dec 2017

Rugby League Books On Sale Here

League Express - Every Monday