Sign in to follow this  
Copa

David Niu involved in NYC bid

Recommended Posts

No comment.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby-leagues-usa-godfather-warns-against-signing-nrl-players-for-potential-new-york-team/news-story/80d30606f92d77676fb27f1317889d4c

“Responsible for igniting The Greatest Game of All in the States almost 25 years ago, the former St George halfback has been invited into preliminary discussions with the group as it seeks to create a successful business plan.”

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Copa said:

No comment.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby-leagues-usa-godfather-warns-against-signing-nrl-players-for-potential-new-york-team/news-story/80d30606f92d77676fb27f1317889d4c

“Responsible for igniting The Greatest Game of All in the States almost 25 years ago, the former St George halfback has been invited into preliminary discussions with the group as it seeks to create a successful business plan.”

See!

If confirmed, we have evidence that it has no chance.  This is the sort of eveidence sensible people wait for before deciding.  

I do not believe that anyone here thought it is a certainty, but this is very disappointing if true.

(though I cannot read the article and it is still one article).

Edited by Bob8
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Well that bode's well for an association with the USARL.

While appreciating your sarcasm, it would not bode well for their plans to have a drink up in the local brewery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

See!

If confirmed, we have evidence that it has no chance.  This is the sort of eveidence sensible people wait for before deciding.  

I do not believe that anyone here thought it is a certainty, but this is very disappointing if true.

(though I cannot read the article and it is still one article).

That’s the only para linking him to it. The rest is him saying how hard it will be and to not blow big money on NRL stars unknown in the US.

Also says this:

“Instrumental in creating both the US competition and its national team, Niu has since switched sports to become a corporate heavyweight, first, with the Arena Football League and now Super Sevens Rugby, which launches in July 2018.”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Copa said:

That’s the only para linking him to it. The rest is him saying how hard it will be and to not blow big money on NRL stars unknown in the US.

Also says this:

“Instrumental in creating both the US competition and its national team, Niu has since switched sports to become a corporate heavyweight, first, with the Arena Football League and now Super Sevens Rugby, which launches in July 2018.”

Well, fingers crossed that he is not involved.

That does seem to suggest he is only involved in union.  Which would be good.

Edited by Bob8
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought it was too good to be true 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Thought it was too good to be true 

The Niu thing is not confirmed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats the story behind this guy? Did a quick google but nothing jumped out at me and clearly I'm missing something big here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Whats the story behind this guy? Did a quick google but nothing jumped out at me and clearly I'm missing something big here.

He was one of the early founders of amateur rugby league in the USA, which was known as the AmNRL.  He did some great work, but always had an ego.  He had a correctional center playing rugby league and they had a great team, Glenn Mills Bulls (I think).

Eventually, he took over sole charge of the AmNRL and his leadership became worse and worse and increasingly petty.  There would always be big plans that would never amount to anything.  Eventually, a rump of the organization left amid much acromony.

The pettiness from the AmNRL.  The full back from the all time USA XIII had his name removed as he referred a USARL game and was not welcome back to ref AmNRL games, even though they were short of refs.

Eventually, the AmNRL collapsed and the USARL are now the official body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I had more faith in the PE teacher ;)

...or any random PE teacher.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although his efforts in bringing the game stateside in the first place should be praised I think hia idea is that they're jumping ahead of themselves as competing in League 1 probably won't require much if any NRL stars - maybe a few ex Super League and or Australian reserve graders here and there. If they are to compete at Championship level and press for Super League then definitely I'd be looking at NRL stars to fill the team with 5 American born players at max. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He seems to me as someone who's tried a few times to quickly monetise / commercialise new sports comps in the US.  I haven't seen any evidence of him having any success doing that though.  Has he had any? If not I'm not sure why he'd be seen as an asset. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

He was one of the early founders of amateur rugby league in the USA, which was known as the AmNRL.  He did some great work, but always had an ego.  He had a correctional center playing rugby league and they had a great team, Glenn Mills Bulls (I think).

Eventually, he took over sole charge of the AmNRL and his leadership became worse and worse and increasingly petty.  There would always be big plans that would never amount to anything.  Eventually, a rump of the organization left amid much acromony.

The pettiness from the AmNRL.  The full back from the all time USA XIII had his name removed as he referred a USARL game and was not welcome back to ref AmNRL games, even though they were short of refs.

Eventually, the AmNRL collapsed and the USARL are now the official body.

Seems odd that they would be liked with him when in the interview on the league express podcast they mentioned working with the USARL local teams and body I believe. 

Question to everyone, when did you start getting concrete details about TWP when we were being touted around as a potential team?

I randomly stumbled upon the story on BBC World a few months before the season started and we never really had any coverage in Canada until the season was going so i don't know what information you guys had and how much thread theory activity was going on the years before we started.

With the potential start in 2019 being over a year away is there ore coverage and details about the NY team at this stage then what TWP ha sat this point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my point of view I didn't take TWP seriously until the press conference confirming their entry. I wanted all the rumours and speculation to be true but hey, this is rugby league where I never hold my breath about any proposal until it's actually there in front of me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Seems odd that they would be liked with him when in the interview on the league express podcast they mentioned working with the USARL local teams and body I believe. 

Question to everyone, when did you start getting concrete details about TWP when we were being touted around as a potential team?

I randomly stumbled upon the story on BBC World a few months before the season started and we never really had any coverage in Canada until the season was going so i don't know what information you guys had and how much thread theory activity was going on the years before we started.

With the potential start in 2019 being over a year away is there ore coverage and details about the NY team at this stage then what TWP ha sat this point?

Similar levels of coverage but most of us knew who Perez was already due to his involvement with Canada RL and he was so obviously genuine and enthusiastic.  That gave me a lot of faith in the project.  I'm not getting excited about NY until I know who's behind it and who's running it.  Every little thing about TWP seemed good from the start.  The logo, the money man, the CEO, the city centre affordable stadium.... there's too many unknowns about NY for me to be enthusiastic yet. And the stadium looks expensive, the logo is poor, they've mentioned 10k crowds in year 1 (really?!)  and now Niu being involved? 

Edited by Tre Cool
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Seems odd that they would be liked with him when in the interview on the league express podcast they mentioned working with the USARL local teams and body I believe. 

Question to everyone, when did you start getting concrete details about TWP when we were being touted around as a potential team?

I randomly stumbled upon the story on BBC World a few months before the season started and we never really had any coverage in Canada until the season was going so i don't know what information you guys had and how much thread theory activity was going on the years before we started.

With the potential start in 2019 being over a year away is there ore coverage and details about the NY team at this stage then what TWP ha sat this point?

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/10256500/toronto-given-go-ahead-to-enter-club-in-english-rugby-league

That was the first time it was officially announced, but we'd heard about it going back well into 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so safe to say expect a lot of pro and anti arguments as bits of information, romurs and theory get spouted until its either officially announced or binned thus giving victory to one side, doing nothing but infuriating the opposition into moths of heavy thread siege...right? lol

Looking forward to the adventure, hopefully it all work sour but time will tell.  since the NY adventure is still just in it's infancy stage I think they are reaching out to everyone in the US RL community for input and that's why this Niu guy is being involved in talks. Nothing mentioning that he's driving anything or part of the consortium, just looking for his opinion folks. Just because he has an ego doesn't mean he wont have legitimate opinions and viewpoints that could benefit the whole project. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



Rugby League World - Dec 2017

Rugby League Books On Sale Here

League Express - Every Monday