Sign in to follow this  
Scubby

England are due! We can win this week!

England are overdue a great performance against Australia. There is no reason it can't be a win next week. Much of the team has been together for a while now and that can only help. 

I was in Sydney for the last time we won and it is that long ago I have moved house 3 times since :laugh: Come on - we are due I tell you. We are due!

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

We're long overdue. As I've pointed out on another thread, I think it's been the longest gap we've ever had. We missed a golden opportunity in 2014 but other than that we sadly haven't even competed really.

I was also in Sydney last time we won as a 22 year old traveler, how my life is different since those days!

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

England are overdue a great performance against Australia. There is no reason it can't be a win next week. Much of the team has been together for a while now and that can only help. 

I was in Sydney for the last time we won and it is that long ago I have moved house 3 times since :laugh: Come on - we are due I tell you. We are due!

Pay your rent and you wouldn't get evicted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Pay your rent and you wouldn't get evicted.

I spend all my money on England merchandise :tongue:

Edited by Scubby

Just now, deluded pom? said:

I bet you have all six items. Big head.

Well if you count pre-order as actually having them? Gotta love BLK!  

If England win I promise never to send a negative post here ever again.(some chance😁).

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Oh how i wish you are right Scubby, but after observing the NRL for a long time now I think their top players have kicked on again this season and no more so than the players selected for the Aus squad, I wish I could but I cannot share your enthusiasm of a victory, but I will match your effort in cheering our boys on, and would be on top of the world with a win.

Edited by Harry Stottle

I was also at that game in Sydney all those years ago.

After the game I saw some really inappropriate behaviour from Australian fans towards English fans and in particular a female England fan after the match. It was appalling and I was happy to see England win.

Edited by Copa

Let's hope the officials are from the NRL. Australia are so good they'll win anyway but they like to make sure.

10 hours ago, Scubby said:

Pipe down Scubby.

This attitude is not good for you or others.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

Don’t want to win this week.   We’ll only beat them once so let’s hope it’s in the final if we get there...

Id take the win this week for a couple of reasons. Firstly it would mean we would be favourites to make the final, which would be progress on the last three tournaments.

Secondly it would mean the Aussies meeting the Kiwis in the semi - imagine the Kiwis doing them and it being an Eng v NZ final in Brisbane. Best possible outcome for me.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Id take the win this week for a couple of reasons. Firstly it would mean we would be favourites to make the final, which would be progress on the last three tournaments.

Secondly it would mean the Aussies meeting the Kiwis in the semi - imagine the Kiwis doing them and it being an Eng v NZ final in Brisbane. Best possible outcome for me.

Considering most if not all of the organised tours that are taking our fans over for the tournament had for logistical reasons i.e flights, hotel accomodation, transfers, match tickets etc decide 12 months ago where they were taking the fans for the semi final venue, either Brisbane or Auckland, they decided to go to Auckland, which will be the venue for England should win all their other games but LOSE to Aus in the opener, a win in Melbourne on Friday could/would have them playing the semi in Brisbane.

Now if I was a fan who is travelling for this tournament, I would want to see England playing in the flesh not on a tele 1500 miles away, I will be 13,000 miles away doing exactly the same, so if I was over there for the tournament a loss in Melbourne could have a Silver Lining around it.

Incidentally, I was looking forward immensley to going for the whole of this tournament  - I have made the trip previously and it was a fantastic expierience - and eagerly awaited the release of the tournament format, when I saw the amount of travelling England and the travelling fans had to do after the initial half the way around the globe journey and the uncertainty of getting to the semi, I decided not to go, but i sincerely hope that those who have spent their well earned thourougly enjoy the trip, and if they are in Brisbane for the final and we win it, I will be as sick as a chip for not going.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Yes, I hope you’re right.   I’m just basing my assumptions on the England/GB teams of the last 20 years when on tour - one great performance, but not having the resilience, confidence or continuity to back it up again.

But then again, I guess this is a Bennett team so I shouldn’t assume anything yet.

They need to think of winning this game and not have any ideas about a second chance or something. Let's hope they've lost this sense of awe and respect for the Aussies and really stick it to em. 

51 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

They need to think of winning this game and not have any ideas about a second chance or something. Let's hope they've lost this sense of awe and respect for the Aussies and really stick it to em. 

And of course this works both ways ... this may be the best hope as they’ll be far better and oiled later on in the comp as well . 

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Pipe down Scubby.

This attitude is not good for you or others.

I wish I still had that photo of me with a black eye. I was watching the 2008 WC game in Melbourne and when Slater terrorised Mark Calderwood for that try, I stood up swung my arm (along with an expletive) and knocked the zip from my hoody into my face. :laugh: It wasn't bad but looked horrendous.

With England, euphoric optimism can soon turn ugly!

But we are still due!!!

For mine, we have 3 world class players in O'Loughlin, Sam Burgess and Graham. They have 3 in Smith, Cronk and Slater. To beat them we need to look at how Cronulla went about their business last year. Flair at 1 - which is why I think rocks or diamond Ratchford is the way to go, plus good kicking game in the halves - hence Gale and Widdop - match them everywhere else (hence Currie in the centres?). And be patient, which you would hope our NRL spine would teach us.