Sign in to follow this  
The Daddy

Warm welcome to our Canadian posters

Great to see so many new posters on here from Canada. 

More evidence of the impact of the Wolfpack. Look forward to seeing more Canadians join when a Montreal and Hamilton team joins the structure. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

More evidence of the impact of the Wolfpack. Look forward to seeing more Canadians join when a Montreal and Hamilton team joins the structure. 

Love to read and hear their enthusiasm for RL.

• Like 2

I first started my blog about 5 years ago and when I look at the Google stats less than 1% of views were from North America.

My most recent post about the structure of SL written 5 years later had about 20% from Canada alone.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I first started my blog about 5 years ago and when I look at the Google stats less than 1% of views were from North America.

My most recent post about the structure of SL written 5 years later had about 20% from Canada alone.

Indeed. 

You posted earlier, very reasonably in my opinion, about skepticism about the size of support in Canada.  I think we very much agree that relying on quoted crowd size and a few comments from internet messageboards is not enough.

But, signs of support like the ones you cite are enough to show that this phenomenon is real.

I think the Canadian posters have been a breath of fresh air on this forum. I love their positively and the different perspectives that they offer. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Would that be the blog "A Widnesian in Ireland" by any chance? ;)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think the Canadian posters have been a breath of fresh air on this forum. I love their positively and the different perspectives that they offer. 

This is so interesting because they are looking at it from a different set of angles. The sporting landscape is so different there and sometimes we are beaten down a little by the huge presence of football (and the union cheerleading media) to recognise the product we have. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Indeed. 

You posted earlier, very reasonably in my opinion, about skepticism about the size of support in Canada.  I think we very much agree that relying on quoted crowd size and a few comments from internet messageboards is not enough.

But, signs of support like the ones you cite are enough to show that this phenomenon is real.

It wasn't my finest hour. I was simply making the point that the announced figure seemed to be exaggerated. The fact that I was also pointing out how positive it looked and how impressive they still were was somewhat ignored.

Just now, Maximus Decimus said:

It wasn't my finest hour. I was simply making the point that the announced figure seemed to be exaggerated. The fact that I was also pointing out how positive it looked and how impressive they still were was somewhat ignored.

I may be alone, but I thought it a reasonable post.

I was amused that it was taken in the way it was, not just here but on a RU forum as proof that TWP was actually a massive failure!

7 hours ago, The Daddy said:

We're glad to be part of the family but go away with Hamilton! :butcher:

If anyone is coming down for a game in TO please post in the Wolfpack forum and I'm sure all of us attending that game will try and spot ya in the crowd, won't be hard as the Union forum did confirm it's only 1,000 people there anyway and you will be the ones reflecting the sun right? :tongue:

All jokes aside looking forward to potentially meeting some of the UK and local posters next year.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The more members the better in general.

But the more members who are open-minded, civil and a breath of fresh air, even better! Our recent Canadian influx has been a pleasure to experience.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

We're glad to be part of the family but go away with Hamilton! :butcher:

If anyone is coming down for a game in TO please post in the Wolfpack forum and I'm sure all of us attending that game will try and spot ya in the crowd, won't be hard as the Union forum did confirm it's only 1,000 people there anyway and you will be the ones reflecting the sun right? :tongue:

All jokes aside looking forward to potentially meeting some of the UK and local posters next year.

I’m thinking that all the talk of Hamilton is just a diversion but not exactly sure why. Either way I’ll welcome whoever it turns out to be as I’ve often thought of Canada of being a prime expansion area for RL.

23 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

I’m thinking that all the talk of Hamilton is just a diversion but not exactly sure why. Either way I’ll welcome whoever it turns out to be as I’ve often thought of Canada of being a prime expansion area for RL.

In a nutshell, no one over here rates Hamilton as a major league sports town so it would be a silly place to put a team if the goal is to impress North American sports fans.  Torontonians for example stopped thinking of Hamilton as a sporting rival years ago now. Montréal would be much better, though that would require a way to reach the city's francophone majority to generate the kind of interest which the Wolfpack have in Toronto.

7 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

In a nutshell, no one over here rates Hamilton as a major league sports town so it would be a silly place to put a team if the goal is to impress North American sports fans.  Torontonians for example stopped thinking of Hamilton as a sporting rival years ago now. Montréal would be much better, though that would require a way to reach the city's francophone majority to generate the kind of interest which the Wolfpack have in Toronto.

Montréal would be amazing and my preferred choice. Is there a rivalry between Toronto and Montreal in other sports or just in general??

4 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Montréal would be amazing and my preferred choice. Is there a rivalry between Toronto and Montreal in other sports or just in general??

The Maple Leafs and Canadiens in the NHL have been huge rivals for decades going back to then they were the NHL's only Canadian teams.  That might have waned a bit in recent years since the Leafs have been such a poor team, but certainly not completely.

7 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Definitely a huge rivalry in the NHL. Also developing nicely in the MLS:

The Canadians sticking their ore in and stirring things has been brilliant, that is not in any way saying they have been objectionable, quite the opposite.

They show great enthusiasm, they stick up for their team and they do it in a polite and very matter of fact manner,

They also know their stuff and if they don't are willing to ask.

Can we have more of them please.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

I disagree that Canada is prime. 

In Geneva, a crowd of a few thousand would make it one of the most economically important clubs in the Northern hemisphere.  The soccer is second rate and there are no hard contact sports.

But, they would need a good management team, ground and backing. 

The magic is not Canada, but a job done well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Thank you The Daddy (sorry, I do not know your real name) for your welcome thoughts.

On the topic of Hamilton I do not believe any Canadian, myself included, believes Hamilton is anything other then a misunderstanding or pure speculation by an uninformed journalist somewhere.  I have spoken to this matter in prior comments in various threads so I will leave well enough alone on this matter....:D

1 hour ago, Frog said:

Too much optimism here. Most of the "Canadians" that post here are expat North of England . Nothing wrong with that of course but it does skewer any Idea of what the TWP have achieved yet in the Toronto landscape.

Of my fellow Canadians who post, I know of 5-6 who are expats ( RobertM, ChrisM, CanaBull, John WP Fan, Kman) but to my best knowledge a number of others incl myself who contribute frequently are born and bred Canucks.   Furthermore, all of the aforementioned expats have been in Canada for a long time as each has indicated at some point in the past, and I would venture at this point are more "Canadian" in attitude - yes they shed some of your native bred pessimism after being ensconced in the nirvana of their adopted home..... :D

How would one skewer what TWP has achieved?  John Drake posted a very nice summation recently on this matter which I think "skewered" all the negativity and summed up the very impressive list of accomplishments quite nicely.

Anyways, I personally will continue to post non-reasonable, outlandish, over the top, mind-numbing, disrespectfully positive diatribe (can there be such a thing as positive diatribe?? lol ) not just about TWP but RL in general if its all the same to you....

• Like 2

Several off-topic posts removed, along with the person responsible for (in my view deliberately) derailing the thread in the first place.

Please don't make this a discussion about that person now.

Stick to the original point of the thread.

Thanks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Captain Survival said:

Thank you The Daddy (sorry, I do not know your real name) for your welcome thoughts.

On the topic of Hamilton I do not believe any Canadian, myself included, believes Hamilton is anything other then a misunderstanding or pure speculation by an uninformed journalist somewhere.  I have spoken to this matter in prior comments in various threads so I will leave well enough alone on this matter....:D

Of my fellow Canadians who post, I know of 5-6 who are expats ( RobertM, ChrisM, CanaBull, John WP Fan, Kman) but to my best knowledge a number of others incl myself who contribute frequently are born and bred Canucks.   Furthermore, all of the aforementioned expats have been in Canada for a long time as each has indicated at some point in the past, and I would venture at this point are more "Canadian" in attitude - yes they shed some of your native bred pessimism after being ensconced in the nirvana of their adopted home..... :D

How would one skewer what TWP has achieved?  John Drake posted a very nice summation recently on this matter which I think "skewered" all the negativity and summed up the very impressive list of accomplishments quite nicely.

Anyways, I personally will continue to post non-reasonable, outlandish, over the top, mind-numbing, disrespectfully positive diatribe (can there be such a thing as positive diatribe?? lol ) not just about TWP but RL in general if its all the same to you....

I what to know where the Canadians who live in the UK who attend away matches fit into his stereotype of Wolfpack supporters?