If the rumours are true, very sad news.

Very sad news. I think it's telling of Van Vollenhoven's status in the town that I grew up knowing of him as one of the great wingers, despite the fact that he retired 26 years before I was born. My nan used to go dancing with him in town and had only good things to say about him. RIP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

If anyone has a copy of this, I'd dearly love to hear it: http://www.45cat.com/record/cr367

Further to this post, I just found a very reasonably-priced copy on Discogs and ordered it. Assuming it arrives intact, I will be digitising it, as it my wont, and could make the resulting files available to any interested parties. The B-side to the Vollenhoven Calypso is, apparently, a series of spoken tributes from players including Vince Karalius.

12 hours ago, saintspete83 said:

I'm pretty disappointed that the official Springboks Union side twitter or facebook page are yet to pay any respects or acknowledge him yet. 

Disappointed, but not surprised.

A true legend of rugby league...part of the pedigree and history of rugby league.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, saintspete83 said:

I'm pretty disappointed that the official Springboks Union side twitter or facebook page are yet to pay any respects or acknowledge him yet. 

Tom was involved with the SARL and there's nothing on their website yet either.

RIP Tom. I’ve been lucky enough to meet Tom on a few occasions as he’s quite good friends with our clubs Chairman. Such a great character. 

Another of the Golden Generation has gone. The classic 90m try from 1961 Cup Final that can be seen on BBC website tribute has Eric Ashton as last Wigan failed tackler, Billy Boston huffing and puffing under the sticks, and the trophy collected by Vinty Karalius. Add in Alex Murphy and there’s the core of our Hall of Fame!

• Like 1

Oh dear.  Makes me feel old.  I remember them all in their pomp, and they're gradually disappearing, Ashton's gone, Karalius has gone.  Now Vollenhoven.  Who's next?  Boston? Neil Fox? :(