Sign in to follow this  
RayCee

My Predictions (so important don't you know)

Well, I have to say I have Australia beating Fiji in one semi final and England likewise over the Kiwis in another. Then the Aussies to loft the trophy. I put up a basic chart to show how I see it.  I rather hope for plenty of upsets but at the business end of the tournament it' s hard to look past the predictable.

https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

10 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Well, I have to say I have Australia beating Fiji in one semi final and England likewise over the Kiwis in another. Then the Aussies to loft the trophy. I put up a basic chart to show how I see it.  I rather hope for plenty of upsets but at the business end of the tournament it' s hard to look past the predictable.

Interesting and nicely put together. I think Tonga and Samoa will swap places as will France and Lebanon. Tonga v Aus and Eng v NZ semis for me.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, RayCee said:

I'd be made up if we made the final so long as we weren't then embarrassed!

37 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Interesting and nicely put together. I think Tonga and Samoa will swap places as will France and Lebanon. Tonga v Aus and Eng v NZ semis for me.

Thanks Scubby. I'm actually hoping I'm wrong and there are some real upsets, but in any sporting tournament the better teams usually deliver. 

19 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'd be made up if we made the final so long as we weren't then embarrassed!

NZ were embarrassed at the last WC final but their attitude was poor for that game. England would have made more of a fight of it had they made it through. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RayCee said:

Thanks Scubby. I'm actually hoping I'm wrong and there are some real upsets, but in any sporting tournament the better teams usually deliver. 

I really don't hope it is another Aus v Fiji sem-final. Nothing against Fiji but it does need spreading around a bit. 

Just now, RayCee said:

NZ were embarrassed at the last WC final but their attitude was poor for that game. England would have made more of a fight of it had they made it through. 

I think they put everything into the semi-final.

We'd have had more momentum and 75,000 English fans. I think we would've put up more of a fight.

It's one of my biggest sporting regrets that I never got to see that final.

Just now, Maximus Decimus said:

I think they put everything into the semi-final.

We'd have had more momentum and 75,000 English fans. I think we would've put up more of a fight.

It's one of my biggest sporting regrets that I never got to see that final.

The fact it was a double header made that semi final so much harder to take. Thousands of stunned fans in the concourse just hanging around.

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I really don't hope it is another Aus v Fiji sem-final. Nothing against Fiji but it does need spreading around a bit. 

I hadn't realised until recently that Fiji have made the last 2 World Cup semi-finals. 

It demonstrates the slapdash nature of international RL that this hasn't really increased their profile. Do any of the big 3 play them outside of World Cups for instance?

1 minute ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I hadn't realised until recently that Fiji have made the last 2 World Cup semi-finals. 

It demonstrates the slapdash nature of international RL that this hasn't really increased their profile. Do any of the big 3 play them outside of World Cups for instance?

To be fair to Fiji it has probably had some impact in the massive growth there. Apparently over 50 teams now play RL there when it was just a dozen a few years ago.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The fact it was a double header made that semi final so much harder to take. Thousands of stunned fans in the concourse just hanging around.

The first child was imminent so I couldn't go but I was in a daze for hours after. I didn't even watch the Fiji game but instead smashed some shelving units off the wall for the baby's room.

Just now, Scubby said:

To be fair to Fiji it has probably had some impact in the massive growth there. Apparently over 50 teams now play RL there when it was just a dozen a few years ago.

Im not disputing this domestically I'm talking internationally.

According to RL project they've only had 4 games since the last World Cup. Is this correct?

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Although the fact the temperatures dropped to about minus 20 ensured people didn't dawdle.

This thread has reminded me that the OurLeague prediction comp is now open. Prizes are decent.

Edited by Just Browny

Just now, Just Browny said:

Although the fact the temperatures dropped to about minus 20 ensured people didn't dawdle.

This thread hasmreminded me that the OurLeague prediction comp is now open. Prizes are decent.

But who is going to tip against England in the first game? We're due I tell you! 

Everyone could be eliminated by lunchtime on Friday :laugh:

6 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

According to RL project they've only had 4 games since the last World Cup. Is this correct?

That's one of my hobby horses. Pacific teams not getting enough international opportunity although they are entertainers and people would watch them. I guess it's up to countries like Fiji to organise the matches themselves, but it probably comes down to money and getting broadcasters involved. They certainly have a good WC record of late. 

7 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It may well be correct which is laughable. Saying that, England have only played 11 games with full test status in that period. Which is also laughable.

9 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

This thread has reminded me that the OurLeague prediction comp is now open. Prizes are decent.

Excuse my total ignorance but where do I go for the League Comp? Are prizes for those living in far away lands? :tongue: