Steve

Sport accord petition / GAISF recognition (merged threads)

Some people above suggested that rugby league should change its name, at least partly to help with gaining full membership. So I looked at the existing members to see what restrictions GAISF might have. The clear answer is "none at all", and the name of our sport is in no sense the issue. Of course we all knew that anyway. And some of the names below just show what a joke this whole thing is.

So here are some GAISF members:

World Skate
International Skating Union

International Hockey Federation
International Ice Hockey Federation

International Soft Tennis Federation
International Table Tennis Federation
International Tennis Federation

International Federation of Football Association
International Federation of American Football

International Ski Federation
International Ski Mountaineering Federation
International Waterski and Wakeboard Federation
International Climbing and Mountaineering Federation
International Federation of Sport Climbing

International Boxing Association
World Association of Kickboxing Organizations

World Confederation of Boules Sports
World Bowling

International Golf Federation
World Minigolf Sport Federation

• Like 7

On 30/01/2018 at 11:34 PM, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

https://gaisf.org/about/observers/

Apparently "Rugby League was formed in the 1870's"

You'd think such and organisation would get facts correct

The duck heads that run our game probably got that wrong themselves and GAISF just copy pasted

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:57 PM, EastLondonMike said:

Maybe the 'rivalry issues' hinted at are about Ikram Butts dodgy combo, rather than RU.

Either way its up to us now. No excuses for not being able to gain full member status in time.

World Rugby were behind him. 

I am advocate for change across our sport - but there is nothing wrong with calling it rugby league.

2 hours ago, Kris said:

I am advocate for change across our sport - but there is nothing wrong with calling it rugby league.

No, there is absolutely nothing wrong with calling it Rugby League, but distancing our game from another sport you're not allowed to criticise here,  is always worthy of consideration.

• Like 1

Regarding the name change, I think it's definitely worth consideration. 

In fact I think a name change will dramatically help the sport in its early attempts to establish foundations and initial participation growth in new (non Rugby) markets.

A name change will distance the sport from RU and allow the sport to be considered in its own right, rather than always having people make unnecessary comparisons and sometimes choices between supporting the development of RL and RU.

I wouldn’t ever change the name, in fact the suggestion feels ridiculous if you really think about it. What other sport would ever consider it?

However, there is no harm in have localised versions ..... I know when I’m back at home with friends in Yorkshire I can talk about Rugby and they know I mean RL, at work in London I talk about Rugby League.  People in Sydney would talk about Footy or League, don’t the French also refer to Le Treize?

In England we have Football, in US they have Soccer as another sport uses the term ‘football’ already, that sport being American Football which we call Gridiron or NFL as we already have football ...

So let countries use a local term if they choose, but the official name should always be RL.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

I wouldn’t ever change the name, in fact the suggestion feels ridiculous if you really think about it. What other sport would ever consider it?

However, there is no harm in have localised versions ..... I know when I’m back at home with friends in Yorkshire I can talk about Rugby and they know I mean RL, at work in London I talk about Rugby League.  People in Sydney would talk about Footy or League, don’t the French also refer to Le Treize?

In England we have Football, in US they have Soccer as another sport uses the term ‘football’ already, that sport being American Football which we call Gridiron or NFL as we already have football ...

So let countries use a local term if they choose, but the official name should always be RL.

The French were forced by a corrupt sports ministry to call Rugby League Le Jeu a Treize. They fought for decades to regain the use of the word 'Rugby'. So let's just toss that aside, shall we? Hand the name and identity over in full to a still-hostile rival.

11 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

The duck heads that run our game probably got that wrong themselves and GAISF just copy pasted...

...Haha, so in a way I was spot on. 

I would say calling those that run our game duck heads for getting it wrong was incorrect. The article clearly states that the game was started in 1895. The reference to the 1870's was about rugby (union) becoming popular in the north of England. GAISF simply misquoted the article it seems. 

Edited by RayCee

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

The French were forced by a corrupt sports ministry to call Rugby League Le Jeu a Treize. They fought for decades to regain the use of the word 'Rugby'. So let's just toss that aside, shall we? Hand the name and identity over in full to a still-hostile rival.

The French history still feels like it has never really been remedied. Only in RL.

53 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

The French history still feels like it has never really been remedied. Only in RL.

It never has. Not even an apology, let alone reparations.

13 hours ago, Oxford said:

No, there is absolutely nothing wrong with calling it Rugby League, but distancing our game from another sport you're not allowed to criticise here,  is always worthy of consideration.

How anyone could even think of changing the name of our great game is beyond me.Nothing comes up when you think about name change.Anyway, I've just signed the petition.

8 hours ago, RayCee said:

I would say calling those that run our game duck heads for getting it wrong was incorrect. The article clearly states that the game was started in 1895. The reference to the 1870's was about rugby (union) becoming popular in the north of England. GAISF simply misquoted the article it seems. 

No need to be so literal Raycee when my original suggestion was so fanciful.

4 hours ago, frank said:

How anyone could even think of changing the name of our great game is beyond me.Nothing comes up when you think about name change.Anyway, I've just signed the petition.

Well, there are a lot of reasons for keeping the name and just as many arguments for moving on. Since yawn chose to call itself rugby like it owned the word this has been a debatable issue. However, as you point out, changing the name is a tricky and thorny issue not just because the title is part of our history and as much a part of us as the number 13 but also because also finding an image, logo and identifiable term, label or moniker that works for TGG fans and in the wider world is difficult.

And it would take more than a simple change of name to gain a better market place standing and at the same time keeping the support base happy. ( though the idea of TGG fans and happy being used in the same sentence seems like a contradiction!) And a reminder about Summer Rugby wouldn't go amiss here because the arguments were very similar in all sorts of ways and yet here we are!

Signing the petition is an entirely different issue and crucial but not surprisingly all about our sport and another and the market place.;)

Edited by Oxford