Sign in to follow this  
Trojan

Professional Northerners

Recommended Posts

So do you say "bath" or "baaaaartth". I say "bath". Then again, am i Northern? Derbyshire is border country in this debate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tim2 said:

So do you say "bath" or "baaaaartth". I say "bath". Then again, am i Northern? Derbyshire is border country in this debate.

 

Bath, of course. There is no r in bath. And, as I have lived abroad for nearly 20 years, I'm not sure I qualify as English now, never mind Northern.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tim2 said:

So do you say "bath" or "baaaaartth". I say "bath". Then again, am i Northern? Derbyshire is border country in this debate.

 

Robert Lindsay (Wolfie Smith) born in Ilkeston said he regarded himself as Northern,  Perhaps it's an attitude of mind.  my son in law from sunny Scunny regards himself as Northern, in my experience (I used to go there regularly)  many didn't.

Edited by Trojan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tonyXIII said:

Bath, of course. There is no r in bath. And, as I have lived abroad for nearly 20 years, I'm not sure I qualify as English now, never mind Northern.;)

Surely it's Bath, as in Maths.  However, it's warm, as in arm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dialects intrigue me.

The difference between a rawmarsh wath and wombwell accent, are there. Ok, the differences are very subtle, but there all t'same.

I was in Barnsley market and met a trader. I asked which part of Maryhill she was from. She was astounded I guessed her accent.... and guess i did, but.... the similarities to my mates up there was enough for the guess to be 'informed'. 

Has anyone heard a luberon accent... jeez..... everything ends in 'g'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Robert Lindsay (Wolfie Smith) born in Ilkeston said he regarded himself as Northern,  Perhaps it's an attitude of mind.  my son in law from sunny Scunny regards himself as Northern, in my experience (I used to go there regularly) and many didn't.

His pizz take of Derek Hatton was brilliant

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Dialects intrigue me.

The difference between a rawmarsh wath and wombwell accent, are there. Ok, the differences are very subtle, but there all t'same.

I was in Barnsley market and met a trader. I asked which part of Maryhill she was from. She was astounded I guessed her accent.... and guess i did, but.... the similarities to my mates up there was enough for the guess to be 'informed'. 

Has anyone heard a luberon accent... jeez..... everything ends in 'g'

I'm not sure I could be so accurate.  I can certainly tell Barnsley from Sheffield.  I can be more accurate round here.  I've lived in the Heavy Woollen District most of my life, and I can certainly spot the difference between Morley, where I lived and Batley three miles away.  Get someone of my generation from Batley to say "working" or "turkey", and I'll pick up on it.  Leeds is different again. Liz Dawn was the most famous exponent of Loiner.  I was once in Sheffield and there was some sort of walking race going on, it was Whit, and I heard one of the crowd say of the contestants, "Diz sum moor cummn' darn nar." Very Sheffield!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Surely it's Bath, as in Maths.  However, it's warm, as in arm.

I teach students who are taking the Michigan ECPE exam, so it's bath as in Math.;)

For tim2. My wife said something to me the other night and she used the Whitby (and other Northern parts) pronunciation of "watter" instead of "water". It was a complete non-sequitur and I couldn't work out what she was trying to say. I thought she'd said "matter"! So, there's an example of what you were saying - a short vowel in the Northern accent vis a vis a long vowel in a more RP accent. Hmm, I need to think this through. :sclerosis:

Edited by tonyXIII

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Trojan said:

I'm not sure I could be so accurate.  I can certainly tell Barnsley from Sheffield.  I can be more accurate round here.  I've lived in the Heavy Woollen District most of my life, and I can certainly spot the difference between Morley, where I lived and Batley three miles away.  Get someone of my generation from Batley to say "working" or "turkey", and I'll pick up on it.  Leeds is different again. Liz Dawn was the most famous exponent of Loiner.  I was once in Sheffield and there was some sort of walking race going on, it was Whit, and I heard one of the crowd say of the contestants, "Diz sum moor cummn' darn nar." Very Sheffield!

Day talk like dat dem darn deer.....

Dee dars..... they get everywhere!!!🤣🤣

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's a bit rich being a bit of a dingle like.... but i never miss an opportunity to take the pizz out of my mates who are actually dee dars.🤣🤣

And then there Ull..... the gift that keeps giving.😎😎😎

Love n peace xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

I teach students who are taking the Michigan ECPE exam, so it's bath as in Math.;)

For tim2. My wife said something to me the other night and she used the Whitby (and other Northern parts) pronunciation of "watter" instead of "water". It was a complete non-sequitur and I couldn't work out what she was trying to say. I thought she'd said "matter"! So, there's an example of what you were saying - a short vowel in the Northern accent vis a vis a long vowel in a more RP accent. Hmm, I need to think this through. :sclerosis:

So is your male parent "farther", "fatther", "fayther" or "feyther"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Day talk like dat dem darn deer.....

Dee dars..... they get everywhere!!!🤣🤣

 A work colleague once wandered into a morgue in Sheffield without realising and said " Can we go down there?" - the Security Guard said "Norrunlessdasdeeed"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I know it's a bit rich being a bit of a dingle like.... but i never miss an opportunity to take the pizz out of my mates who are actually dee dars.🤣🤣

And then there Ull..... the gift that keeps giving.😎😎😎

Love n peace xx

Wart warn n serder, merbarl fern, gerrem onsard, curlslur, Bullyvard, kerk n ###### etc. as you say it keeps on giving!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Trojan said:

Wart warn n serder, merbarl fern, gerrem onsard, curlslur, Bullyvard, kerk n ###### etc. as you say it keeps on giving!

 

 

 

I was at the ferry port in the queue waiting to board when I implored the memsahib to ask one of the boarding martial what taaaaarme it is..... she declined due to my adolescent hysteria.... it was 17.05!

Then, as we sat there 5 motorcyclists arrived and the.martial got on his radio.... "shall ahhh send all t'faaaarve down at t'same taaaarme.

The memsahib was ... as ever.... irritated by my purile humour as I'm hung over the steering wheel in hysterics.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, tim2 said:

So is your male parent "farther", "fatther", "fayther" or "feyther"

He was always "dad" to me. If I had to use the posh form, he was "father", pronounced "farther".

After years working among the primitive peoples of the East, I recognise all forms of the word.:tongue:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A professional northerner is a mixture of Colin Welland, Stuart Maconie, Will Hay and Frank Collier who lives in Neasden.

 "bright and fierce and fickle is the South/And dark and true and tender is the North". sort of thing.

and

"unless my grasp of history is feebler than I fear, it was successive Conservative governments who did their damnedest to put the north in a position from which it needed to recover. Now they say that we are to be written off ....."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I give you Liam Gallagher as the best example of a professional northerner. The accent has got stronger the longer he resides in the south. The same was true of Cilla.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I was at the ferry port in the queue waiting to board when I implored the memsahib to ask one of the boarding martial what taaaaarme it is..... she declined due to my adolescent hysteria.... it was 17.05!

Then, as we sat there 5 motorcyclists arrived and the.martial got on his radio.... "shall ahhh send all t'faaaarve down at t'same taaaarme.

The memsahib was ... as ever.... irritated by my purile humour as I'm hung over the steering wheel in hysterics.

I hope your car radio was tuned to farve larve on narne o narne.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got on the ferry and went to the bar. Naturally I'm in daft mode and influenced by the ferry port humour I've just experienced.... I got me n my mate a couple of paaaarnts, Brenda a waaarrt waaaarne and the memsahib a britvic fifty faaaarve. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

James 'fekin' Martin.

Yorkshire when it suits and never shuts up about union.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Padge said:

James 'fekin' Martin.

Yorkshire when it suits and never shuts up about union.

Yet never made the list of people we don't like on the telly?

And he speaks rubbish French!

" ........ and never shuts up about union!" Cos he knows which side his bread's buttered.

Professional Northerner.


 

 

Edited by Oxford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

I know you didn't. I broadened the range because, although I have lived in Yorkshire, it was briefly Sheffield, then York and finally Whitby, which are not the same as West Riding Yorkshire, I was concerned that there might be a twist in the West Riding patois that changed the vowels to short instead of long. I still think Northern vowels are flat and broad, rather then sharp and short. Not that it matters, really, as long as my students can eventually understand me make out what I'm saying.

 

There are differences in accent, inflection and vocabulary within the west riding, even in neighbouring towns. It's very interesting, and quite remarkable how these differences have stood up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

There are differences in accent, inflection and vocabulary within the west riding, even in neighbouring towns. It's very interesting, and quite remarkable how these differences have stood up

There is a distinct difference in Wigan accents between North and South, a matter of 3 miles, though the difference is becoming less especially over the last 20 years.

Edited by Padge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Padge said:

There is a distinct difference in Wigan accents between North and South, a matter of 3 miles, though the difference is becoming less especially over the last 20 years.

Certainly where I worked in Lower Ince, there was a distinct antipathy between local lads (Ince, Platt Bridge, Bamfurlong, Bryn) and the Shevvy lads! (seen as posh)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday

Rugby League World - Online Now - March 2018

Rugby League World - March 2018 - Out Now



Rugby League Books On Sale Here