Sign in to follow this  
moorside roughyed

Wigan Warriors

According to the Warrior's website they're establishing a women's team for 2018.Lets hope other superleague side's follow suit and really get the women's game going.

12 hours ago, DoubleD said:

A lot of them are, Widnes, Leeds have recently. Saints have linked with Thatto Heath. Cas already have 

Great stuff,they need support from fans and the RFL.

20 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Great stuff,they need support from fans and the RFL.

They do, although a lot of the current impetus is as a result of Sport England funding 

Ask the question guys where were they when the game needed developing and a push for women to play Rugby League? What development have Wigan done of the Women's Game over the last 5/10 years? and then ask where are they going to get the players from to fulfil there "Super League Quota"

I agree the SL clubs need to embrace the movement and encourage the woman's game to grow but they have done very little to grow the game and now they are just going to take the players from the local community clubs. Widnes don't even have any community women's teams so where are they getting the players from.

Its typical hypocrisy when the fat wad of money is shown the greed takes over.

My point being of my post is you can wave goodbye to the Women's domestic game at community level because there will be no one left to make up a team when Wigan, Widnes and probably Warrington enrol players because the greedy clubs will not focus on any more development or recruitment.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Ask the question guys where were they when the game needed developing and a push for women to play Rugby League? What development have Wigan done of the Women's Game over the last 5/10 years? and then ask where are they going to get the players from to fulfil there "Super League Quota"

I agree the SL clubs need to embrace the movement and encourage the woman's game to grow but they have done very little to grow the game and now they are just going to take the players from the local community clubs. Widnes don't even have any community women's teams so where are they getting the players from.

Its typical hypocrisy when the fat wad of money is shown the greed takes over.

My point being of my post is you can wave goodbye to the Women's domestic game at community level because there will be no one left to make up a team when Wigan, Widnes and probably Warrington enrol players because the greedy clubs will not focus on any more development or recruitment.

Your first point is true and accurate about the SL clubs having done nothing to date.

But clubs will be tasked with focusing on development as part of the Sport England funding, and also i believe as part of new SL licensing criteria. Widnes do some already -

http://www.totalrl.com/widnes-vikings-become-latest-side-launch-womens-team/

9 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Your first point is true and accurate about the SL clubs having done nothing to date.

But clubs will be tasked with focusing on development as part of the Sport England funding, and also i believe as part of new SL licensing criteria. Widnes do some already -

http://www.totalrl.com/widnes-vikings-become-latest-side-launch-womens-team/

But does it give them the right to set up new teams with a months notice and no prior development. All SL Clubs have foundations and all cater for girls, and boys, within the program but I think its worded very Cleverley in the article. For me they should be having a 12-18 month focussed build up promoting the game recruiting at community level then launching. Instead its take what's there now by offering expressions of interest from established players, typically building top down and as we all know this never works.

2 hours ago, Wilber said:

But does it give them the right to set up new teams with a months notice and no prior development. All SL Clubs have foundations and all cater for girls, and boys, within the program but I think its worded very Cleverley in the article. For me they should be having a 12-18 month focussed build up promoting the game recruiting at community level then launching. Instead its take what's there now by offering expressions of interest from established players, typically building top down and as we all know this never works.

Well Saints have linked in with Thatto Heath so it’s not a new team. 

Im sure they are looking to build from the bottom up as that is part of Sport England funding criteria in terms of participation. 

We should be looking at this from what’s best for the women and girls - 

If these players get an opportunity to train and play in better facilities in higher profile matches, which could generate greater money from sponsorship and possibly tv coverage, I really don’t see a downside. It should actually attract more women to the sport.

Over in Leeds, I know of players who got fed up with the lack of opportunity and poorly structured season so went off and played the other code. With a decent structure and professional support, we should be in a position to attract these girls back