Sign in to follow this  
Tony F

World Cup talent

I'm not sure what the rules are these days, but bringing in talent from abroad doesn't seem to be as easy these days.  Also, with the weak pound it is not especially attractive to players to come to the UK.

This is a shame, of course, as foreign players do add interest to the game.

Edited by Bi11

16 minutes ago, Bi11 said:

I'm not sure what the rules are these days, but bringing in talent from abroad doesn't seem to be as easy these days.  Also, with the weak pound it is not especially attractive to players to come to the UK.

This is a shame, of course, as foreign players do add interest to the game.

I did consider the points you've raised, Bill. However, you can guarantee that clubs around us (and likely some of those in Championship 1) will be looking at players involved in the World Cup. It'd just be nice to see us looking outside the box for a change. Talk of Dual Registration is very deflating. 

We should be developing our own talent and strengthen links with local teams etc through joint training and coaching sessions 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I imagine that the answer to your leading question TonyF will be a resounding no. We don't have a reputation for forward thinking clearly. With our, so far, highly inspiring recruitment, it appears that we are settling on just sneaking into the top half of the bottom 8.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, phildog said:

I imagine that the answer to your leading question TonyF will be a resounding no. We don't have a reputation for forward thinking clearly. With our, so far, highly inspiring recruitment, it appears that we are settling on just sneaking into the top half of the bottom 8.

Reversion to the mean, in scientific terminology.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Reversion to the mean, in scientific terminology.

Exactly. However, it's very dispiriting when opportunities to change the trend are missed - repeatedly.

maybe the lack of announcements could be due to players that are involved in the world cup... one can only dream

also the club tend to drip feed signing announcements rather than all in one hit in the hope of keeping us on tenterhooks

• Haha 1

From what I've seen of the competition so far, there are the NRL players, a few plying there trade in SL, then a huge chasm of class to the "squad fillers", players that would not be standout's even in the Championship (Phil Joseph and Rhodri Lloyd et al). 

Even if we are scouting for players  I'm not sure who would be in our price bracket, that would improve us. There are quite a few of the south sea island players that look far better than a lot of players in SL, if they cannot afford them, what chance have we got?

17 hours ago, phildog said:

How do you know what reputation we have? And what is forward thinking exactly? I would argue that the appointment of Diskin was an example of forward thinking, and we all know how well that went down on here. 

l think that you may be confusing gambling on recruitment and forward thinking. 

Oh and we have the Wales assistant coach out there so l am sure he might be having a look!

Off topic!I'm heading to the NZ v Scotland game in Christchurch on Sat.As usual I will be wearing my Bulldogs shirt, always creates interest when doing so.

• Like 3

Barrow have announced the signing of a prop who was a member of the Italian train-on squad. Looks a top prospect, too. 

Edited by Tony F