Red Star Belgrade to join League One?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am far more keen on the Red Star bid than I ever was on Toronto.  I'm glad Toronto has succeeded (so far) but I love that Red Star is a true bottom-up approach and has some decent (not perfect) but some decent foundations laid underneath to support this effort.  As I said from the start they can realistically aim for a 50% local squad in their first season, which I think is brilliant and something Wolfpack will probably never achieve.

On 1/2/2018 at 9:48 AM, Copa said:

Just popped up on Facebook about their plans for joining the UK system 

67BAF996-5CE9-439D-9403-9FCFCEB839F0.jpeg

thats very well put!

Would love to see them in and given time to develop.. a few good strong clubs coming through into League one can shake the system up a bit and maybe shake a few clubs up a little.

2 hours ago, langpark said:

I am far more keen on the Red Star bid than I ever was on Toronto.  I'm glad Toronto has succeeded (so far) but I love that Red Star is a true bottom-up approach and has some decent (not perfect) but some decent foundations laid underneath to support this effort.  As I said from the start they can realistically aim for a 50% local squad in their first season, which I think is brilliant and something Wolfpack will probably never achieve.

It is certainly a more beautiful story.  I mean that in sincerity, in both cases I am amazed by what has been achieved.  

Having racked my brains for how RSB could be economically feasible, I wonder whether they could form a production line of players and be a selling club.  Their challenge will be to earn as much in sterling and spend in dinar.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I believe they will (and are) producing decent players, but transfer fees in RL are tiny as it is, I doubt they'll ever be making money off it any time soon.

I believe their main sources of income will have to be:  Foreign investors, sponsors, maybe Serbian RL and RFL will chip in at some point also?  Hopefully the existing relationship between Air Serbia and Serbian RL continues too, as that could be an invaluable partner that could potentially slash their operating budget (like Toronto did with Air Transat).

As for players, I think they will be fine.  If they get in, they will surely have first pick on any talent coming out of Serbia, the Balkans and probably even for Russians and Ukrainians it's an easier place for them to go than the UK.  I don't think players will be their problem, costs will be by far the biggest challenge.

33 minutes ago, langpark said:

I believe they will (and are) producing decent players, but transfer fees in RL are tiny as it is, I doubt they'll ever be making money off it any time soon.

I believe their main sources of income will have to be:  Foreign investors, sponsors, maybe Serbian RL and RFL will chip in at some point also?  Hopefully the existing relationship between Air Serbia and Serbian RL continues too, as that could be an invaluable partner that could potentially slash their operating budget (like Toronto did with Air Transat).

As for players, I think they will be fine.  If they get in, they will surely have first pick on any talent coming out of Serbia, the Balkans and probably even for Russians and Ukrainians it's an easier place for them to go than the UK.  I don't think players will be their problem, costs will be by far the biggest challenge.

Indeed.

I do look at these things in a very cash first way.  And clearly, I do not have a good overview.  I would love to see this work.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

4 hours ago, langpark said:

It would be great to see Hamilton vs Red Star in League One.

Archived