Sign in to follow this  
Copa

Flag burning and fighting between WC fans

Is this officially THE biggest riverly in RL? I'm absolutely pumped to watch this game...in highlights form when they come out 

Edited by Krzzystuff

58 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Is this officially THE biggest riverly in RL? I'm absolutely pumped to watch this game...in highlights form when they come out 

In PNG people are sometimes murdered during the State of Origin series as a result of the NSW v QLD rivalry in Australia. They pick a side and it becomes deadly serious. The police there at one point wanted live SOO broadcasts banned.

NSW v QLD is also occasionally the highest rating (generally always in the top 3) TV show in Australia each year.

1 hour ago, Copa said:

In PNG people are sometimes murdered during the State of Origin series as a result of the NSW v QLD rivalry in Australia. They pick a side and it becomes deadly serious. The police there at one point wanted live SOO broadcasts banned.

NSW v QLD is also occasionally the highest rating (generally always in the top 3) TV show in Australia each year.

PNG is one of the most dangerous places on earth (quoting Ross Kemp). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

Id say Ukraine and Russia might be atm. 

• Like 1

Do they play international RL often? Anything involving the two nations is going to be very heated due to them being at war, officially or not that is their situation 

16 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Do they play international RL often? Anything involving the two nations is going to be very heated due to them being at war, officially or not that is their situation 

They played against each other a few years back in a neutral nation. They were actually very well behaved and polite to each other to show what sportsmanship can achieve. So yeah I am wrong, but if they played in each others nations Im sure some of the fans might get out of hand.  

https://www.rugbyleagueplanet.com/2309-rugby-league-international-between-ukraine-and-russia-to-go-ahead-in-belgrade

Edited by B rad

I was at a St Albans v Hemel match once and overheard a Centurions fan say "Hemel Hempstead's not as nice as St Albans". Brutal.

• Like 3
  • Haha 14

This rivalry is not exclusive to rugby league though. Anybody in this part of the world knows that Samoans and Tongans always want to beat each other, no matter what sport it is in

28 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Aren't India v Pakistan cricket matches banned? 

No - in fact they were cricket WC finalists in (I think)2013, the game being played in India where both sets of supporters and the players behaved immaculately, a highlight for me being the sight of the two country's presidents being icily polite when it was fairly obvious that they'd rather have been trying to throttle each other!

• Like 1

I once attended an Iran v Iraq soccer match in a sold out stadium with 50/50 fan support.

That was insane and will probably remain the most amazing sporting experience I’ll ever have.

There was an intense rivalry there!!

• Like 1

Absolutely cannot wait for this game. 

I wasnt home for any of Round 1 games. I've been working my way through them during the week. The atmosphere at Port Moresby and Auckland games were amazing.

Hamilton is gonna be awesome.

No need for violence or Flag burning.

That goes beyond good rivalry IMO

Edited by Allora
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

I was at a St Albans v Hemel match once and overheard a Centurions fan say "Hemel Hempstead's not as nice as St Albans". Brutal.

I think the residents of Harpenden wanted me deported to the town limits when I asked them to put some RL on the TV in a local wine bar/gastro pub.

I felt more at home in the strongly-fundamentalist parts of Luton.

Edited by Desert Skipper
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

Toulouse v Rochdale IMO

If we ever come across any Toulouse fans to argue with, I'll let you know...

Edited by Hornetto

2 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

I think the residents of Harpenden wanted me deported to the town limits when I asked them to put some RL on the TV in a local wine bar/gastro pub.

I felt more at home in the strongly-fundamentalist parts of Luton.

Do you live in Harpenden? I work in St Albans and somehow persuaded my very "St Albans" boss to pay for 4 tickets to the GF this year so i could take clients.  He thinks RL's a dirty northern word.

1 hour ago, Hornetto said:

If we ever come across any Toulouse fans to argue with, I'll let you know...

He did say Toulouse v Rochdale, not Rochdale v Toulouse to be fair.

• Haha 2