• New Zealand by 13 points or more
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 13 points

40 minutes ago, Scubby said:

People like Maurice Lindsay used to get a lot of criticism but he would be drawing up plans for a tri-series Eng-NZ-Tonga as we speak. The NZ-Tonga game alone would fill Hull or Wigan IMO.

That would be amazing. Properly amazing.

A website in NZ has already labelled the result on an article title  "an embarrassing WC loss". I view that as an insult to Tonga and RL. I'm not embarrassed. Written by a media so biased against RL, they don't want to put a positive spin on it. Oh well, maybe it's an embarrassing result for another code. 

Edited by RayCee
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, RayCee said:

A website in NZ has already labelled the result on an article title  "an embarrassing WC loss". I view that as an insult to Tonga and RL. I'm not embarrassed. Written by a media so biased against RL, they don't want to put a positive spin on it. Oh well, maybe it's an embarrassing result for another code. 

You have a point as face it. The Tonga union team aren't going to ever be Likely to best the ABS.

Tonga winning this is a huge result and the popularity of League will only grow in the Polynesian diaspora. 

To disrespect this Tonga team when they have Fifita, JT and Jennings is stupid.

Tonga are going to give England a big game. New Zealand may yet shock Oz. It would be great to see a NZ v England final... That would make Oz more interested in International as there is a point to prove. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Loved reading through this thread.

Half way through the game New Zealand were the best team in the competition, they would give Australia a good game in the final but England may as well go home!

At the end Tonga have set up a probable semi against England and England may as well go home!

By the time we hit the quarter finals there will be some hard games to call never mind the semis.

This is a great result for international Rugby League.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

Revenge for the injustice of Wildersports 1995 is a dish best served cold. This was the score there with a few minutes left wasn't it?

• Like 1

Any highlights available? I slept through it 😩

Gutted! This result is amazing! This result must worry New Zealand. If their big names end up wanting to play for their country of origin rather than them, they'll be severely weakened for years to come.

2 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Any highlights available? I slept through it 😩

The pre-match dance-off is worth catching - the Kiwis decided to have a word with Taumalolo :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RayCee said:

NZ Herald has quite a fun report which (playfully) mentions the damage caused by the ex Kiwis. stuff.co.nz says the New Zealand team are taking the positives from it.

Neither, that I can see, calls the result embarrassing, thankfully.

2 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Oh, and shame on Premier sports for dropping the L.i.v.e coverage of this match after advertising it was on. I can’t see too many from the UK getting up at 4am to watch a NZ v Peru soccer match

I didn't wake up in time to see any of it, had it been available.

Was it shown live on any media format in the UK?

For all the negativity about Aussie organisation and crowds (rightly), there are so many highlights already from this WC.

Pretty much everything in PNG and NZ has been great but that game was another level.

Was that the largest crowd of the tournament so far?

The sooner the game realises that we have real gold in some of these nations and it isnt all about the 'big 3' the better we will all be.

If we are going to say anything has changed from 1995 surely it has to be the growth of the Pacific teams and if we dont stary to use them we will miss out again.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Old Frightful said:

I didn't wake up in time to see any of it, had it been available.

Was it shown live on any media format in the UK?

Being Sports France and Bet365 

6 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Being Sports France and Bet365 

Thanks.

I'm beginning to think Bet365 streaming is a better bet than Premier, please excuse the pun.

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

NZ Herald has quite a fun report which (playfully) mentions the damage caused by the ex Kiwis. stuff.co.nz says the New Zealand team are taking the positives from it.

Neither, that I can see, calls the result embarrassing, thankfully.

I did see a report straight after saying NZ embarrassed by Tonga. May have been stuff.co.nz . I think that they've changed it now - quite rightly.

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

For all the negativity about Aussie organisation and crowds (rightly), there are so many highlights already from this WC.

Pretty much everything in PNG and NZ has been great but that game was another level.

Was that the largest crowd of the tournament so far?

The sooner the game realises that we have real gold in some of these nations and it isnt all about the 'big 3' the better we will all be.

If we are going to say anything has changed from 1995 surely it has to be the growth of the Pacific teams and if we dont stary to use them we will miss out again.

Over 24K

• Like 1

It was a great game. I thought NZ were outstanding in the first half. That 16-2 margin made Tonga start taking more risks after halftime, and they got on a roll. NZ's forwards dropped intensity a bit and couldn't really get it back. NZ have the talent to beat Australia, and this loss might be the lesson they needed to do it. Tonga, of course, have it in them to beat England too. Today will just add to their self-belief. Exciting!

Edited by ghost crayfish
  • Like 3