Sign in to follow this  
manu266

Wolfpack momentum, a pro rugby team in Vancouver?

http://theprovince.com/sports/rugby/are-the-vancouver-canucks-owners-after-a-professional-rugby-team

The Wolfpack success and the gate numbers of Canada – Maori All Blacks give some ideas to Vancouver Canucks owners. Just rumours though and this article has some inaccuracies (Davenport Stadium? 8,000 average?).

But Vancouver in a European league, Pro12 or RFL, seems less crazy than in Super Rugby or NRL, because of flight times.

Vancouver – Sydney 15h

Vancouver – Auckland 14h

Vancouver – London 9h

Although

Vancouver – South Africa… don’t even think about it. They will meet half way.

Also you can play rugby 365 days per year in Vancouver, not like in Toronto, Montreal, Boston… so anything is possible these days.

Edited by manu266

BC is the Canadian equivalent of California; they're both reminiscent of an apple turnover, tasteful and occasionally very satisfying but with a tendency of being a bit flaky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I think the article leans towards RU getting a team there as BC in the home or Rugby Canada and all things rugby really. Look at the women's RLWC squad and the majority is from BC because that' where the majority rugby is played. 

Seeing as they have been turned down before for teams this just looks like RU thinking to get a team going in NA so they don't get upstaged by RL? 

Edited by Krzzystuff
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Yes.

I think of the Simpsons three eyed fish when i think of lake Ontario and then you have the great green outdoors in BC, two completely different worlds.

I think most likely is an MLR team, I think there may have been rumours of that somewhere already. Ready made rival with Seattle being a founding team. Ontario Arrows rumoured to join in 2019 as well.

8 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

I think of the Simpsons three eyed fish when i think of lake Ontario and then you have the great green outdoors in BC, two completely different worlds.

"great green outdoors" - Algonquin Park, Temagami, North shoreline of Lake Superior, Moose Factory Island, Agawa Canyon to name just five.  Been to all of them numerous times.  Gotta stick up for your home Province over all others, IMHO. 

6 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Moose Factory Island!!! 

Yes indeed - on the Moose River just before it discharges into James Bay.  The engineering firm I spent 30 years with did a lot of work on their Water and Sewage plants and systems.  Anyways since it is almost Remembrance Day I thought I'd share a video for anyone (Canuck or otherwise), who might be interested.  Optional viewing of course. 

http://theprovince.com/sports/rugby/vancouver-professional-rugby-bid-announced-aiming-to-excite-new-fans

Bid made official.

But something that I totally missed is Arrows already playing some games this spring against current and future MLR teams.

ontario-arrows-schedule-2018.jpg

So we have 2 rugby games on May 5 in Toronto...

I'm thinking the Arrows play at Fletcher's for their exhibition schedule this year. But maybe we see them sharing with TWP in Lamport when they start league play in 2019?

2 hours ago, TheReaper said:

I'm thinking the Arrows play at Fletcher's for their exhibition schedule this year. But maybe we see them sharing with TWP in Lamport when they start league play in 2019?

Fletcher's Field is a terrible location. I'd have to drive up there, no public transport. It will be hard to maintain a crowd in the far reaches of the 905. This is why TFC II are trying to move from the Vaughan Soccer Center to Lamport.

2 hours ago, TheReaper said:

I just found it on Google map. Seems like a nice venue for training and amateur games, way too far and isolated and not a lot of seats (is there even a grandstand?) for pro games.

24 minutes ago, ojx said:

Fletcher's Field is a terrible location. I'd have to drive up there, no public transport. It will be hard to maintain a crowd in the far reaches of the 905. This is why TFC II are trying to move from the Vaughan Soccer Center to Lamport.

Everyone wants to be at Lamport these days...

31 minutes ago, manu266 said:

Everyone wants to be at Lamport these days...

The benefits of a kick ass beer garden 

Oh, for sure Fletcher's is terrible for a pro team.  I'm just thinking out loud,  obviously they won't be at Lamport this spring,  and this year may be more about evaluating players etc. than it is about selling tickets. Not sure what their other options are... Blues tend to play some games in Burlington or Oakville, and there are other city stadiums like Birchmount and Ester Shiner. But since none are ideal, I figure they'll go with what they have easy access to, and that the rugby core in Toronto is used to going to.

3 hours ago, TheReaper said:

Oh, for sure Fletcher's is terrible for a pro team.  I'm just thinking out loud,  obviously they won't be at Lamport this spring,  and this year may be more about evaluating players etc. than it is about selling tickets. Not sure what their other options are... Blues tend to play some games in Burlington or Oakville, and there are other city stadiums like Birchmount and Ester Shiner. But since none are ideal, I figure they'll go with what they have easy access to, and that the rugby core in Toronto is used to going to.

I remember playing on it when it was an actual farm field and had the hay removed!  Park in the field (best to have a 4 wheel drive if possible): dating mysel I guess.

4 hours ago, TheReaper said:

However, in marketing, the first impression of the brand is often the most important. Starting in this low key way at a bad facility may hurt their future prospects. It could be argued, that is would be better to wait until everything in place, including a better stadium. The logo and new kit are also quite bland.

Varsity stadium would seem like a good fit for the Arrows right now.

Edited by ojx
  • Like 1

Wow, howd I forget Varsity? That would be my pick now that you mention it.

I'll agree with you on the logo,  a bit Avenger-y, but I actually like the jersey.  More interesting than the solid black WP one. I'm a sucker for stripes.

38 minutes ago, westside said:

The Arrows branding is awful. Won't be surprised if they fold/rebrand.

Two very different things.

Let's not forget that what is now one of the most successful brands in the country right now started out as a red and purple cartoon.

I think it could be pretty solid with a few tweaks. Lose the clip art arrow, maybe use an arrowhead profile somewhere? The name itself is solid, and not very common (I can't think of any).

Could be fun to cheer "Ontar-iar-iar-iarrowwwss" :P 

Ha, that could be a solid chant. I think TWP's branding is way better though. And I share everyone's thoughts on Fletchers - not a venue for a pro side. Saw Scotland vs Canada RU there about 15 years ago.

4 hours ago, westside said:

The Arrows branding is awful. Won't be surprised if they fold/rebrand.

Another issue might be using "Ontario" as the team name. North American sports are city based and folks have much more city pride than provincial pride. Since the CN Tower is on the logo, why not go ahead and call it the Toronto Arrows.

Agreed that the dark blue and gray uniform is pretty drab.

Edited by ojx