Sign in to follow this  
manu266

Wolfpack momentum, a pro rugby team in Vancouver?

On 3/17/2018 at 11:19 AM, manu266 said:

What do you make of this?

image.png.8700108a1db464b46c853b8833686d13.png

Sorry, meant to reply to this.  

The Arrows are Rugby Ontario's attempt to start a professional Rugby Union side.  They are the professional variant of the Ontario Blues which is Rugby Ontario's provincial rep side.  

The Arrows are playing an exhibition match series this summer and will be attempting to join MLR in 2019 along with Rugby United New York, Boston RFC, etc.  

The Arrows are a good rugby team, I question whether they will be a successful professional sports organization.  The one thing they have going for them is they've told Rugby Canada to stay out of their business.

I think even if they are successful, it will take five years for them to compete commercially with the Wolfpack as the Wolfpack are in an established league and MLR is just starting.  

Rugby League needs to get a couple of more teams playing in NA though as once MLR picks up steam, it will grow in popularity.  MLR are essentially a bunch of strong amateur clubs in the US that decided to break rank from USA Rugby and form their own professional competition.  

I'm of the opinion that Rugby League needs a Top Flight of 20+ clubs with French Teams, NA Sides, London, joining traditional powerhouse English League teams.  Ring fence the League for stability and make the Second Tier a Farm League.  There will be a couple of casualties but the League will get stronger and be able to secure more money and prestige as a result.

Edited by CanadianRugger
  • Like 3

On 3/17/2018 at 11:19 AM, manu266 said:

What do you make of this?

image.png.8700108a1db464b46c853b8833686d13.png

It like a person who loves the outdoors and is going on a long trek into a new region to really get a taste of it...but they forgot their map and compass though.   But they are going hiking anyway.   It will all workout in the end.  Hopefully this isn't a remake of the Blair Witch Project.

• Haha 1

I also hear there will be two more home games announced, one against a Canada XV.

MLR itself looked like it had a decent start this weekend, Seattle's little stadium looked cool and was packed.

Edited by TheReaper