Sign in to follow this  
The Daddy

Malcolm Alker on trial for KFC robbery

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Sorry to spoil the party mood but he looks to be on a pretty dangerous path to me.  I fear for the lad.

Fair point. I really hope RL cares are onto this and can give him some much needed support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People in all walks of life make mistakes or run off the rails.

 Rugby League is no different.

The fact a "bladed item" was used makes me hope the staff at the outlets get counselling and help more than the perpetrator.

The victims are the kids working at the KFC store, not the person threatening their well being with a lethal weapon in a robbery.

 

 

Edited by Allora
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are right Allora.  I'd never seek to diminish the impact of knife crime on young people (although I don't know how affected they actually are here).

My comment was just about Malcolm himself who obviously has issues but also has admirable personality traits as well i.e. those that enable him to be a professional rugby player and team captain. I just hope the latter win out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people can't help themselves really..................even if it is finger licking good.

It seems unlike Jermaine, he has bitten off more than he can chew

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shame for Alker, he's looking at some serious bird after this. Would have been a real coup to fly away with that cash too, expect him to get battered by the law now though.

Seriously though he needs help.

Edited by Tex Evans Thigh
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allora said:

People in all walks of life make mistakes or run off the rails.

 Rugby League is no different.

The fact a "bladed item" was used makes me hope the staff at the outlets get counselling and help more than the perpetrator.

The victims are the kids working at the KFC store, not the person threatening their well being with a lethal weapon in a robbery.

 

 

Exactly.  I'm sorry that Alker's life hasn't turned out the way he hoped, but how are we turning this into a 'not enough support' issue?   This was armed robbery.

I once lost everything I had worked so hard to get (through the GFC), and had to slowly work my way back.   If I had held your family at gunpoint and robbed them in your home would you be laying the blame at my previous employer?   Would a judge let me off saying I was failed by the industry I worked in for not pointing out that ARMED ROBBERY was in fact a crime and not a friendly hobby?

Come on, let's empathise but not sympathise and excuse.

Edited by Desert Skipper
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

Exactly.  I'm sorry that Alker's life hasn't turned out the way he hoped, but how are we turning this into a 'not enough support' issue?   This was armed robbery.

I once lost everything I had worked so hard to get (through the GFC), and had to slowly work my way back.   If I had held your family at gunpoint and robbed them in your home would you be laying the blame at my previous employer?   Would a judge let me off saying I was failed by the industry I worked in for not pointing out that ARMED ROBBERY was in fact a crime and not a friendly hobby?

Come on, let's empathise but not sympathise and excuse.

At least you didn't end up in front of the Beak!

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After he retired from playing the game an autobiography was written,with assistance from the wife of Dave Woods the BBC commentator.

Why he was stripped of the captaincy,his use of drugs,propensity for violence,all described.

A warning in advance...

This country does seem to ignore such things...

The Devil Within is the title of the book.

I am not condoning actions done,in the book,or alleged.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read his book, well half of it, and he struck me as not someone you'd tangle with. Hope the lad gets help but it's not the fault of RL.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I read his book, well half of it, and he struck me as not someone you'd tangle with. Hope the lad gets help but it's not the fault of RL.

Agreed in the sense that plenty of players leave the game and cope.

But clearly here was someone who wasn't coping even when he was in the game.

We're meant to be getting better at this. Some people can't be helped, some people are genuinely sheets. But, you'd hope, that he's at least been offered support to stop him falling to this level because now he's managed to screw his life up totally and no doubt damaged a few other people along the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Agreed in the sense that plenty of players leave the game and cope.

But clearly here was someone who wasn't coping even when he was in the game.

We're meant to be getting better at this. Some people can't be helped, some people are genuinely sheets. But, you'd hope, that he's at least been offered support to stop him falling to this level because now he's managed to screw his life up totally and no doubt damaged a few other people along the way.

Fair comment and I obviously don't know how his mind works but IIRC he was lined up to replace James Lowes at the Bulls. This obviously didn't happen but he clearly wasn't without talent. You can lead a horse to water and all that...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Agreed in the sense that plenty of players leave the game and cope.

But clearly here was someone who wasn't coping even when he was in the game.

We're meant to be getting better at this. Some people can't be helped, some people are genuinely sheets. But, you'd hope, that he's at least been offered support to stop him falling to this level because now he's managed to screw his life up totally and no doubt damaged a few other people along the way.

Gareth Carvell currently works for Salford and presumably has had some exposure to Alker (or at least knowledge of). Danny Sculthorpe, who works for State of Mind, agrees with him. Makes me think he probably has been offered support.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Malc was never very bright, he seems to have had a tough upbringing in an aggressive household. Beating up an academy player on pre season training resulted in the sacking as Captain.

Since retiring he has had well documented mental health issues.

Hope he finally accepts help but my thoughts are with the victims not Alker

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Saint 1 said:

Gareth Carvell currently works for Salford and presumably has had some exposure to Alker (or at least knowledge of). Danny Sculthorpe, who works for State of Mind, agrees with him. Makes me think he probably has been offered support.

What Carvell says is very true, you can offer someone all the help in the world, but, if they won't take it then you are on a hiding to nothing.

Sport probably kept him out of a lot of trouble (not all trouble) when he was playing and has probably done him a lot of good, his decisions after he leaves the game are his and his alone if he doesn't ask for or take advice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday

Rugby League World - Jan 2018

Get Rugby League World - Online Now!

Rugby League Books On Sale Here