RLWC 2017 got great!!!

Dave T

So after a fair bit of (justified) negativity around some of the organisation, it would appear that things are building up nicely for this tournament. 

The group games have been a great success in PNG and NZ where there has been loads of focus, loads of colour, noise and passion on show.

The negativity does appear to be fading somewhat as we celebrate 24k in NZ for the game and shock of the tournament.

Over 21k for Aus v Lebanon.

Even canberra saw an increase for Italy v Fiji, 6.7k!

We'll have another sellout in PNG tomorrow and hopefully a solid Perth crowd and the group stages could probably be described as a relative success, saved by NZ and PNG.

The knockout stages look very exciting and the organisera should be capitalising on the positivity which is emerging.

Maybe there is hope for the RLWC after all!!!

Yep the quality footy seems to be increasing the tournament in spite of the organisers.

But how good is because Tonga beat NZ means the Aussies have to play a competetive Semi for once and we will see a different finalist which we haven't seen for over 20 years.

29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So after a fair bit of (justified) negativity around some of the organisation, it would appear that things are building up nicely for this tournament. 

The group games have been a great success in PNG and NZ where there has been loads of focus, loads of colour, noise and passion on show.

The negativity does appear to be fading somewhat as we celebrate 24k in NZ for the game and shock of the tournament.

Over 21k for Aus v Lebanon.

Even canberra saw an increase for Italy v Fiji, 6.7k!

We'll have another sellout in PNG tomorrow and hopefully a solid Perth crowd and the group stages could probably be described as a relative success, saved by NZ and PNG.

The knockout stages look very exciting and the organisera should be capitalising on the positivity which is emerging.

Maybe there is hope for the RLWC after all!!!

The players are making the tournament which is exactly how it should be. It is the administrators who have a job to showcase those athletes and put bums on seats. That is for another day.

However, the semi finals and final in particular may be the most amazing occasions International RL has ever seen. Potentially England v Tonga at a "Sea of Red" Mount Smart and the Aussies and Kiwis at a "sold out" Suncorp. The fact that the media know 3 weeks out it will not be an Aus v NZ final should heighten the excitement IMO.

Who needs a mug? (me, I do)

17 minutes ago, DiH68 said:

As I said in another thread, the Aus-NZ semi in Brisbane is slap bang in the middle of the Ashes Test ... in Brisbane! There are going to be some seriously drunk people around in BrisVegas that Friday ??

Lads got tickets to both ...

Today's been the best day of the Cup so far.

More of the same, please!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

54 minutes ago, Mark S said:

I don’t think Tonga will have the psychological issues that England seem to have when they play Australia.

On the other hand Aus will get their preferred referee, with all calls going their way. 

Hopefully the ref calls don't decide the game. 

If New Zealand can topple Australia in the semi final, which is more than possible in my opinion, it would be huge for Rugby League and would really shake things up.

I think overall the tournament has been good, the only real negative so far has been the Australian based games up to today, which was much better attended to be fair. However with the Quarter Finals containing the teams that they are plus now a New Zealand-Australia semi final things should really now pick up a lot in Australia. The games in New Zealand have been great and I have never seen the international game look more popular within New Zealand. The home games for PNG have been huge and have also been great to see.

25 minutes ago, Damien said:

If New Zealand can topple Australia in the semi final, which is more than possible in my opinion, it would be huge for Rugby League and would really shake things up.

I think overall the tournament has been good, the only real negative so far has been the Australian based games up to today, which was much better attended to be fair. However with the Quarter Finals containing the teams that they are plus now a New Zealand-Australia semi final things should really now pick up a lot in Australia. The games in New Zealand have been great and I have never seen the international game look more popular within New Zealand. The home games for PNG have been huge and have also been great to see.

You could almost say it was karma if the Aussies didnt make the final following their fans and players attitude to international RL.

Sorry to be slow to this party, but wanted to watch the Tonga game first. 

Wow! Possibly the greatest single day I can remember - 17 Scottish heroes, Tonga, Lebanon showing our performance last week in a better light, even an upbeat report in the Times on interest in Perth in our games... who would have thought? 

The game just sells itself, time after time. 

I never want it to end, but every one of the next 7 games could be classics in their own way. I wonder whether the aussies could go into the semi very under cooked. This whole "we're above all these second class nations" approach they and their country men have could well leave them vulnerable against a super fired up NZ (if they get there, and they need their forwards to do a job on Fiji first). I am not sure I would stop laughing this side of Christmas if the Kiwis win that one. 

(Just seem GS' comment - he said it better.)

We just need Australia to do the decent thing and lose to New Zealand in the semis or if the would prefer lose to England in the final.

We would then have a perfect tournament and nobody will remember that only 10 people turned up to some of the early group matches.

Loving a positive thread!!

5 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Hopefully the ref calls don't decide the game. 

Don't worry; they won't unless it is absolutely necessary. ;) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived