41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 7 to 12 points
    • Samoa by 13 points or more

I must say that has left me buzzing this morning - the Aussies were absolutely wonderful to watch today. The Kiwis will need to be very good indeed to trouble them. If I was clutching at straws I would note that the Kiwis will go in having had harder matches in the run up, which could work for them. 

5 minutes ago, Allora said:

I have just read somewhere that he was suffering from concussion and then due to that had a fall in the Shower after the match, does that sound right?

I've heard that story before, certainly.

It was a pretty controversial incident at the time - it led to players being able to be cited after the game and it's what Harragon is remembered for. Lucas himself is always pretty keen to downplay the whole thing.

• Like 1

The dodgy video ref decison for Australia's first try, did anyone else hear Ashley Klein's justification for moving on from the knock forward. "he is trying to knock it backwards". The Aussie player may have been trying but that does not mean he succeeded! If this justification is used in future decisions, we will never see a knock-on again!

Just now, flyingking said:

The dodgy video ref decison for Australia's first try, did anyone else hear Ashley Klein's justification for moving on from the knock forward. "he is trying to knock it backwards". The Aussie player may have been trying but that does not mean he succeeded! If this justification is used in future decisions, we will never see a knock-on again!

Are you talking about the Duggan knock back to Holmes?

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

What a disrespectful post.

He played for Wigan and was a GB international, hardly a bad career. Regardless any career being cut short is something I don't like to see and has a profound impact on the person for the rest of their lives. This is particularly so if they suffer ongoing health implications due to the injury they have to retire with.

Let it go, it happened 25 years ago. The Chief was one of the cleanest, fairest props to have played the game so I think he should be given the benefit of the doubt.  I've seen far worse on a football field, such as later that same year in the WC, when Martin Dermott charged with a leading elbow into Freddy Fittlers jaw, with the explicit aim of taking him out, permanently.  England / GB has had a bit of a history of premeditating assaults on key players, which in my view is far worse than stuff that happens in the heat of the battle.  Wally Lewis was another  who was frequently on the end of bent elbows and stiff forearms. Australia has had a few dirty players over the years too, such as Gordon Tallis and Willie Mason, but it's all been vented in the heat of the battle; Not planned from the dressing sheds.  

7 minutes ago, flyingking said:

Odd. I heard him say "His hand's in front of the ball" so the ball could only have gone back from his hand, regardless of where it went after that. Also look at where Bentham was standing - he had no problem with it and he had a perfect view.

Edited by Farmduck
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, wombat said:

The Chief was one of the cleanest, fairest props to have played the game so I think he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

LOL. That must be one of the funniest posts I have ever seen on here.

• Like 2

Just now, wombat said:

Let it go, it happened 25 years ago. The Chief was one of the cleanest, fairest props to have played the game so I think he should be given the benefit of the doubt.  I've seen far worse on a football field, such as later that same year in the WC, when Martin Dermott charged with a leading elbow into Freddy Fittlers jaw, with the explicit aim of taking him out, permanently.  England / GB has had a bit of a history of premeditating assaults on key players, which in my view is far worse than stuff that happens in the heat of the battle.  Wally Lewis was another  who was frequently on the end of bent elbows and stiff forearms. Australia has had a few dirty players over the years too, such as Gordon Tallis and Willie Mason, but it's all been vented in the heat of the battle; Not planned from the dressing sheds.  

Lets not forget Sir Les Boyd.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wombat said:

So just to clear it up Morley,Edwards and McDermott were all disgraceful attempts to take players out but Harrogan Mason or Stevens (remember him standing on Terry O'Connor face) were all good lads in the heat of the battle. 

• Like 4

I'm guessing wombat is not a Queenslander, or a Manly fan, or he would remember Harragon rather differently.

Just now, JonM said:

I'm guessing wombat is not a Queenslander, or a Manly fan, or he would remember Harragon rather differently.

His location says Thredbo so that suggests either the Storm or more likely Canberra

Harrigan was never seen as a dirty player in Australia, he was somewhat a face of the game on the Footy show and TV commercials.

He would have been viewed as hard as nails but fair in most Fans minds.

Still is.

Edited by Allora

17 minutes ago, wombat said:

Sorry that has this got to do with what I was replying to, namely that Harrigan's career ending assault on Lucus didn't really matter because according to you "I don't think he was on track for a huge career"

23 minutes ago, wombat said:

Please tell me how you know that the English lads were planning it, but the Australians were not?

Its easy for Australia, as Slater, Cronk and Smith run the show and the Rest just need to do their basic Job. Holmes score 5, but Slater was my MoM. He has the odd mistake in him, but he is a Joy to watch. He makes things look easy, but he also often goes the extra 1% to do something both in Defence and attack.Smith controlled the Ruck and game as usual. Some real quality by the Roos, thats often missed did missed as boring. The understandIng between the big 3. The great Vision by Klemmer,  who could have just run it in from a penalty but played what he saw for Holmes to score. 

Samoa played as bad as they have all tournament. No Passion, No pride, did they have a game Plan?  Frankly embarrassing. I think Ireland would have offered far more in all areas.

Thought Ref did very well in tough humid conditions. Its much better with a neutral Ref as well. 

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, sigesige00 said:

Why did Samoa not try to score by kicking a PG in the closing minutes, instead of finishing without a point?

Which is more humiliating:

- not scoring a try? or

- admitting that you know you can't score a try?

• Like 4

Just now, The 4 of Us said:

To be fair I think he’s referring to the knock forward.

I must have missed it.

15 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Its easy for Australia, as Slater, Cronk and Smith run the show and the Rest just need to do their basic Job. Holmes score 5, but Slater was my MoM. He has the odd mistake in him, but he is a Joy to watch. He makes things look easy, but he also often goes the extra 1% to do something both in Defence and attack.Smith controlled the Ruck and game as usual. Some real quality by the Roos, thats often missed did missed as boring. The understandIng between the big 3. The great Vision by Klemmer,  who could have just run it in from a penalty but played what he saw for Holmes to score. 

Samoa played as bad as they have all tournament. No Passion, No pride, did they have a game Plan?  Frankly embarrassing. I think Ireland would have offered far more in all areas.

Thought Ref did very well in tough humid conditions. Its much better with a neutral Ref as well. 

Yes, Samoa were not good enough for QF.  Scotland should have beaten Samoa.  Scotland had 3 chances (PG, 2 FGs) after being equalised.

Edited by sigesige00
grammartic mistake

14 minutes ago, sigesige00 said:

Why did Samoa not try to score by kicking a PG in the closing minutes, instead of finishing without a point?

Judging by the preceding 79 minutes, I doubt they'd have got even that right.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Which is more humiliating:

- not scoring a try? or

- admitting that you know you can't score a try?

19 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Its easy for Australia, as Slater, Cronk and Smith run the show and the Rest just need to do their basic Job. 

Samoa played as bad as they have all tournament. No Passion, No pride, did they have a game Plan?  Frankly areadembarrassing. I think Ireland would have offered far more in all areas.

The humidity was a factor for sure, with Samoa looking spent after just 20 minutes. It was a match they were never going to win and playing so far away from their fan base in Sydney didn't help them either.   The people of Darwin turned out, which was great, but it was still a dumb venue for a WC draw.  

On 16/11/2017 at 12:27 PM, wombat said:

Any sort of fine is a joke. Barrie should have had a very long stint on the sideline for that. Sirro was lucky not to have his jaw smashed into pieces.    

It's a pity that Barrie was more interested in bashing opponents heads than playing rugby against Australia,  because he could play well when he controlled the aggro.  

The reason I gave that ‘Barry wasn’t alone..’ Dav05 has answered.  Many deliberate actions happen on the field,many get missed.  Those that get seen, but without action by officialdom are, the most embarrassing for our game and reasons why parents influence their kids away from it.

But, you usually turn up with biased drivel at Aus v England time, so we don’t expect much better.

Just now, wombat said:

The humidity was a factor for sure, with Samoa looking spent after just 20 minutes. It was a match they were never going to win and playing so far away from their fan base in Sydney didn't help them either.   The people of Darwin turned out, which was great, but it was still a dumb venue for a WC draw.  

But a Pacific Island team from the Tropics should handle the humidity better than the Aussies from Sydney and Melbourne

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Please tell me how you know that the English lads were planning it, but the Australians were not?

Australia didn't need to plan ###### like that to win, and that sort of stuff isn't part of the Aussie RL culture anyway.  While I can't definitely prove that GB tactics were premeditated, it certainly looked that way on quite a few occasions. Not that I'm whinging about it of course. That's not in the Aussie spirit either. 

• Haha 5