Sign in to follow this  
Copa

PNG 2008 to 2017 - the influence of the PNG Hunters

I found this team list online.

Papua New Guinea: Wilshere (Salford); Moore (Gold Coast), Maori (Sydney Roosters), Joe (Rangers), Keppa (Brisbane Norths); Gene (Hull KR), Peters (Penrith); Aizue (Hull KR), Aiton (Penrith), Exton (Ipswich), Costigan (Canberra), Nightingale (Windsor), Griffin (Northern Pride). Interchange: Pora (Muruks), Moni (Muruks), Chan (Windsor), Wabo (Muruks).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papua_New_Guinea_national_rugby_league_team#Current_squad

10 current players from the PNG Hunters and others like Kato Ottio, Justin Olam, Garry Lo etc who used to play for the Hunters but now have contracts with Australian or UK clubs.

Edited by Copa

39 minutes ago, Copa said:

I found this team list online.

Papua New Guinea: Wilshere (Salford); Moore (Gold Coast), Maori (Sydney Roosters), Joe (Rangers), Keppa (Brisbane Norths); Gene (Hull KR), Peters (Penrith); Aizue (Hull KR), Aiton (Penrith), Exton (Ipswich), Costigan (Canberra), Nightingale (Windsor), Griffin (Northern Pride). Interchange: Pora (Muruks), Moni (Muruks), Chan (Windsor), Wabo (Muruks).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papua_New_Guinea_national_rugby_league_team#Current_squad

10 current players from the PNG Hunters and others like Kato Ottio, Justin Olam, Garry Lo etc who used to play for the Hunters but now have contracts with Australian or UK clubs.

Quite shocked to see so many kumuls playing in either super league or the NRL in that 2008 team.

Forgive my impression of a broken record but the sooner more nations copy the PNG Hunters set up the better the game will be. 25 fulltime professionals all born in Wales, Scotland, Ireland you could even throw in Canada and USA in the northern hemisphere as well as Fiji (coming in 2019 I think) Tonga Samoa South Africa in the 2nd divisions in Australia would add a lot of credibility and competitiveness to our international game. These nations just need the money to do it and I'm not sure where they would get it from. 

• Like 1

Fiji in the NSW Cup will pay for itself very quickly. The number of athletes there is very impressive and the NSW scouts will be happy to pick off the cream.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Scubby said:

Fiji in the NSW Cup will pay for itself very quickly. The number of athletes there is very impressive and the NSW scouts will be happy to pick off the cream.

It won’t be long until Fiji is on a par with NZ in exporting RL talent to the NRL.

24 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

It won’t be long until Fiji is on a par with NZ in exporting RL talent to the NRL.

Hopefully we'll see more than just wingers and them playing for Fiji is a must. 

1 hour ago, londonrlfan said:

Hopefully we'll see more than just wingers and them playing for Fiji is a must. 

Yes and absolutely yes.

Theres a few forwards currently in the NRL with 2 brothers at Newcastle. Plus a prop at the storm and a 2nd rower at Penrith.

19 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

Quite shocked to see so many kumuls playing in either super league or the NRL in that 2008 team.

There were also off-field ructions in PNG RL at the time of previous RWCs and 4Ns, which meant that some good players were either not picked, or refused to play. Things seem to be relatively normal at the moment, so Segeyaro's made himself available, for instance.

Would be fantastic if where feasible the pacific nations get to play in a decent club competition.  Big fan of the hunters pity the games are not reshown on premier.

Often on at 6am on the Super Cup feed and I am at the age I need to catch up on my sleep.

On 11/14/2017 at 8:04 AM, B rad said:

Forgive my impression of a broken record but the sooner more nations copy the PNG Hunters set up the better the game will be. 25 fulltime professionals all born in Wales, Scotland, Ireland you could even throw in Canada and USA in the northern hemisphere as well as Fiji (coming in 2019 I think) Tonga Samoa South Africa in the 2nd divisions in Australia would add a lot of credibility and competitiveness to our international game. These nations just need the money to do it and I'm not sure where they would get it from. 

We shouldn't get carried away with PNG Hunters as a model for other countries to follow. It is also currently difficult to assess the impact they have actually had on the national side. 

I suspect they have improved things to some degree but we shouldn't discount the fact that they've played 3 games in PNG which is a huge advantage for them also against easier opposition than previously. They have after all beaten GB and NZ in the distant past in PNG when they were mostly local players. Also in 2008 they only lost 32-22 to England and were leading at half time. There is a decent chance that they will be do worse than this on Sunday.

PNG is the only country where RL is the national sport; it is also a country of 8m people. PNG Hunters is a good pathway for the players coming from the already significant local scene to be exposed to a higher standard. Many of these will then likely move on to bigger things. This isn't an easy thing to replicate in smaller places where RL is not played much. 

As good as Tonga and Samoa currently are, the reality is that without heritage players they will be unlikely to get much better than they are now. Even if RL took over both, they have populations smaller than Warrington borough. 

Scotland, Ireland and to a lesser extent Wales would need much more than a single club to improve their fortunes. They are after all able to put out a mixture of full time and part-time professionals already. We also have the Catalans (and Toulouse) example already which has done nothing to improve their international fortunes despite having much better grassroots than any of those places.

I've always been of the thinking that as a sport we should prioritise those nations with the potential to be truly competitive. Currently that is NZ, France and PNG. This might one day include Fiji, Canada, US etc but we are some way away from this. In the NH we should have been aiming to get as many full-time French clubs as possible (3/4) to try and resurrect the game there like has happened in Perpignan. 

• Like 1