Sign in to follow this  
B rad

Matty Johns calls for Pacific NRL team

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nrl/news/matty-johns-urges-nrl-hierarchy-to-consider-pacific-island-team-for-nrl

I don't know how it would work. Would they only be able to choose Pacific players maybe, otherwise how would it be different to any other NRL side. You couldn't play all your games in the Pacific Islands. The money doesn't convert over well and the stadiums are small, though the teams would be very well supported at least. Maybe Hawaii (in 2010 there was around 45 thousand Samoans and Tongans living in Hawaii) or New Zealand they could play a majority of their games. I think I remember years a go someone wanted to finance a Pacific NRL club but like most expansionists the NRL rejected them. 

6 minutes ago, B rad said:

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nrl/news/matty-johns-urges-nrl-hierarchy-to-consider-pacific-island-team-for-nrl

I don't know how it would work. Would they only be able to choose Pacific players maybe, otherwise how would it be different to any other NRL side. You couldn't play all your games in the Pacific Islands. The money doesn't convert over well and the stadiums are small, though the teams would be very well supported at least. Maybe Hawaii (in 2010 there was around 45 thousand Samoans and Tongans living in Hawaii) or New Zealand they could play a majority of their games. I think I remember years a go someone wanted to finance a Pacific NRL club but like most expansionists the NRL rejected them. 

The NRL are too busy navel gazing at their poor accounts to consider slicing up the pie any thinner than it already is. Their attitude to expanding the NRL is pathetic (including the women's game which is again behind the AFL).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, B rad said:

As long as the team is not made up of heritage players i don't see much of a problem and as long they haven't played for Australia and New Zealand before.

And where would this team be based or will it have the finances to support itself? All good and well to dream but the pacific is not a lucrative market which therefore means that the NRL will eventually have to prop it up. As if they don't already have enough clubs in the red

6 minutes ago, Jace said:

And where would this team be based or will it have the finances to support itself? All good and well to dream but the pacific is not a lucrative market which therefore means that the NRL will eventually have to prop it up. As if they don't already have enough clubs in the red

The players could always take a pay cut to help the game in the PI's :smile:

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

The players could always take a pay cut to help the game in the PI's :smile:

Can't see that happening. The players' union just came out of a long pay dispute with the NRL

They don't need a PI team in the NRL..

They need teams from samoa & Tonga to enter the state cups like PNG hunters and the Fiji nsw cup side,when they get approved... that'll inevitably lead to players being signed by NRL clubs creating a domestic league>state cup>NRL pathway..

That,on top of the mid season tests and bi annual Pacific cup tournament,is what they need.

Edited by roughyedspud
  • Like 3

Realistically this just isn't going to happen. The islands aren't big enough and haven't got enough money. The NRL haven't even expanded to Perth, Brisbane 2, NZ 2 etc yet, they are hardly going to admit a Pacific Island team. 

Saying that they could make a 2nd New Zealand team a defacto Pacific Island team, based in New Zealand for home games with the odd game in the islands. They could then appeal to the islanders in Sydney when playing away games in Sydney and boost crowds there. That's probably as close to a Pacific Island team as you realistically are going to get. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

They need teams from samoa & Tonga to enter the state cups like PNG hunters and the Fiji nsw cup side,when they get approved... that'll inevitably lead to players being signed by NRL clubs creating a domestic league>state cup>NRL pathway..

That,on top of the mid season tests and bi annual Pacific cup tournament,is what they need.

Most of it makes too much sense... Will never happen. It's rugby league we're talking about.

3 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

There’s no money in Tonga and Samoa to help pay for that.

Fiji is a much bigger country.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Copa said:

There’s no money in Tonga and Samoa to help pay for that.

Fiji is a much bigger country.

Yep, people need to get their heads round this. Fiji is a bit more than the population of Leeds, spread across a couple of islands, about 2000km off the coast of New Zealand. (i.e a bit further than Russia is from the UK.) Tonga has just over 100k people and is further away still. Samoa has a slightly lower population than say Warrington or York and is over 3000km from NZ.  All 3 of them are economically poor, with many people subsistence farmers. There simply is not the wealth, or the population, to support professional sport.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Yep, people need to get their heads round this. Fiji is a bit more than the population of Leeds, spread across a couple of islands, about 2000km off the coast of New Zealand. (i.e a bit further than Russia is from the UK.) Tonga has just over 100k people and is further away still. Samoa has a slightly lower population than say Warrington or York and is over 3000km from NZ.  All 3 of them are economically poor, with many people subsistence farmers. There simply is not the wealth, or the population, to support professional sport.

Yep. The best to hope for is NRL scouts go to Tonga and Samoa and sign players up, like in Fiji. With regards to the Pacific islands teams, perhaps you could get a Solomon Islands team competing in the Digicel Cup and maybe a few players could play for the Hunters?

The Aussies have called for a lot of things to happen either when commentating or playing studio pundit, a lot of which is probably common sense, some of which has been patronising

However, I don't see anything at all happening from the land of Oz - they have neither the history of action not the right outlook on the sport as a whole

NRL needs team in Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, Second Team in Brisbane and english super league all star side as well, Tongans, and Somoans to get a run with the Darwin Team

Edited by Paddsy

5 hours ago, shaun mc said:

The Aussies have called for a lot of things to happen either when commentating or playing studio pundit, a lot of which is probably common sense, some of which has been patronising

However, I don't see anything at all happening from the land of Oz - they have neither the history of action not the right outlook on the sport as a whole

They’ve just turned their rugby league competition into one of the biggest club rugby competitions on earth and are on the path to having rugby league dominate Oceania.

1 minute ago, Copa said:

They’ve just turned their rugby league competition into one of the biggest club rugby competitions on earth and are on the path to having rugby league dominate Oceania.

It's always been one of the biggest, if not the biggest, club rugby competition in the world. I don't think there is much turning about it.