Sign in to follow this  
Copa

WC influence - NRL Pacific Test now includes Lebanon

While I try to find Lebanon on a map of the Pacific region here are the details.

Tickets are now on sale for Tonga v Samoa and PNG v Lebanon. It’s in Campbeltown on 23 June 2018.

This is a big development for Lebanon and I hope they are able to get their domestic scene involved in some way so as not to waste this opportunity.

I suspect the lively Lebanese fans in Sydney helped influence the decision to include them.

Edited by Copa
  • Like 5

If we have learnt one thing from this WC, surely it is that we should be playing internationals in places like PNG.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

What about Fiji?

Not involved it seems.

I received a Canberra Raiders member email a few minutes ago about it.

All the details are now on Ticketek.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

I will be really disappointed if Lebanon are playing instead of Fiji, particularly if Fiji don't have a game at all.

Cook Islands maybe?

And England and NZ?

At some stage we may play internationals in proper places.

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If we have learnt one thing from this WC, surely it is that we should be playing internationals in places like PNG.

Far better to put these games on in western Sydney, in front to 5,000 people,  and remind these teams that they belong at the bottom of the pile. Then Taumololo, Fifita, etc can return to New Zealand and Australia and everyone can forget that for a few short weeks we looked to be on the verge of forming a very competitive 8 international teams. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Cook Islands maybe?

And England and NZ?

At some stage we may play internationals in proper places.

Fiji deserve to be playing PNG, not the Cook Islands (if that was the case).

I know we should all be grateful to the NRL and doff our caps in thanks but this just is all so typical of the NRL. A double header at Campbeltown is a little pathetic after what we have seen in this World Cup. Should we not be looking at growth on the past couple of Pacific tests? These should be standalone fixtures and PNG at home would be a 15k sellout. Tonga v Samoa would get 20k+ in NZ on the back of Tonga's success at this World Cup. A double header now is just small time.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 9

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

A double header now is just small time.

True but step back a little.

Lebanon are playing a mid-season test. That is progress. 

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

Fiji deserve to be playing PNG, not the Cook Islands (if that was the case).

I know we should all be grateful to the NRL and doff our caps in thanks but this just is all so typical of the NRL. A double header at Campbeltown is a little pathetic after what we have seen in this World Cup. Should we not be looking at growth on the past couple of Pacific tests? These should be standalone fixtures and PNG at home would be a 15k sellout. Tonga v Samoa would get 20k+ in NZ on the back of Tonga's success at this World Cup. A double header now is just small time.

NZ v England should be aiming for 20k. We should be looking for 50 to 60k across these games.

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

True but step back a little.

Lebanon are playing a mid-season test. That is progress. 

I'd rather Fiji to be honest. Bigger domestic setup, more 'genuine' players rather than just heritage. Lebanon just seem to me like the NRL are trying to appeal to the Western Sydney market. Fiji deserve better than to be side-lined.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Too much hard work and oh yes, I wonder where the money goes...

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I'd rather Fiji to be honest. Bigger domestic setup, more 'genuine' players rather than just heritage. Lebanon just seem to me like the NRL are trying to appeal to the Western Sydney market. Fiji deserve better than to be side-lined.

Agree but Fiji is joining the NSW Cup and NRL academies are being set up there, so a development pathway is being laid. It’s also well established as a serious international side.

Giving Lebanon more tests will help establish it as a serious test nation rather than a curiosity.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Agree but Fiji is joining the NSW Cup and NRL academies are being set up there, so a development pathway is being laid. It’s also well established as a serious international side.

Giving Lebanon more tests will help establish it as a serious test nation rather than a curiosity.

Exactly. Fiji will undergo significant development over the next few years. They aren’t being ignored.

Lebanon must have their domestic setup connected to this test in some way to make the most of the opportunity.

9 minutes ago, Copa said:

Lebanon must have their domestic setup connected to this test in some way to make the most of the opportunity.

Yes but does anyone genuinely believe this will happen?

20 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Yes but does anyone genuinely believe this will happen?

Why would you assume it would not happen?

Domestic players are in the WC squad and some match officials and coaches from Lebanon are also out in Australia for training. 

31 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I cant say I agree. If anything it means they should play to allow them to go up to the next level. Fiji are little more than a curiosity themselves, with the amount of games they play, and they haven't even been confirmed for the NSW Cup as their latest bid was rejected.

Besides none of what you say should mean that the national team does not play, taking your logic to the extreme you wouldn't have them playing for 4 years until the next World Cup just because they are a reasonable standard. Indeed England are a serious test side, maybe they should skip their games next season and let one of the tier 2 countries play NZ instead.

Could we not have had NZ v Eng and Sam v Tonga as a double header at Eden Park? Imagine how many that could sell? Fiji could then play a test in PNG and The Cooks could play Lebanon at Belmore?

• Like 1

Instead of nitpicking who people would prefer to see involved shouldn't everyone be pleased that these games are happening? Hopefully more announcements come with regards to the European nations having some games as well as the Americas.

I'm newish still but from what I've gathered this is out of the norm right? People have been calling for more games for the smaller nations for a while and now they are here...but they aren't what you want soooo...we cancel the whole thing or will some people STFU? 

• Like 6