1 minute ago, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

Will he still be around in 2018?

Is there a bounty or something we don't know about? 

• Haha 1

I certainly hope he isn't on Sky. The Sky commentators are obsessed enough about analysing every decision and criticising the referee. Sometimes it's just all about the negatives and not the positives. Cummins being there just makes things worse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I certainly hope he isn't on Sky. The Sky commentators are obsessed enough about analysing every decision and criticising the referee. Sometimes it's just all about the negatives and not the positives. Cummins being there just makes things worse. 

We have finally been rid of Mr Negativity Stevo, who wanted a free kick given in every set, and replaced with the abomination that is Stuart Charisma Bypass Cummins.

The thing is, we often see Cummins completely contradict the latest guidance on refereeing decisions as well as contradicting his own opinions from the week before in identical incidents, which frustrates me as he’s a former director of refs and sort of comes across as an authority on the subject.   I hope he was more consistent in the top job when he had it.

I don't mind him too much tbh, but I would prefer him to stick to factual guidance as he has made the mistake of falling into opinions and that just makes him like the rest of the pundits. When you have Barrie and Terry acting like neanderthals shouthing "SHOT" as load as they can over people when there is a big tackle - and then Barrie spending ages complaining that illegal tackles shouldn't be illegal - I think Stuart does add some balance and makes it less like a pub chat for thugs.

I'm thinking of ragging in Sky anyway. We're not going to be on the RL telecasts next season, and the presentation needs a shakeup. Beyond that, there's no Ashes series, no Game of Thrones next year, the new Strike Back series is utter garbage. Sky has put all its eggs into the Dive-Snivel-and-Whingeball basket. Currently, only the NFL and Babylon Berlin are essential viewing in my house.

I could save myself hundreds of pounds by quitting.

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't mind him too much tbh, but I would prefer him to stick to factual guidance as he has made the mistake of falling into opinions and that just makes him like the rest of the pundits. When you have Barrie and Terry acting like neanderthals shouthing "SHOT" as load as they can over people when there is a big tackle - and then Barrie spending ages complaining that illegal tackles shouldn't be illegal - I think Stuart does add some balance and makes it less like a pub chat for thugs.

That's a point, Barrie and Terry are the first two I'd get rid of. They try to be funny,  and really aren't, and add absolutely nothing. I'd imagine they put off far more newcomers to the game than they could possibly attract. A mother watching the game with her son could well be put off allowing her son playing the game listening to those two. As for sponsors do they really wish to be associated with a game where commentators are advocating foul and dangerous play?  

Edited by Damien

2 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

The thing is, we often see Cummins completely contradict the latest guidance on refereeing decisions as well as contradicting his own opinions from the week before in identical incidents, which frustrates me as he’s a former director of refs and sort of comes across as an authority on the subject.   I hope he was more consistent in the top job when he had it.

This is the big issue for me. No credibility there whatsoever. 

Aussie commentators seem to have a sense of humour, a 'let's not take life too seriously' approach, and we have a former head of refs trying to analyse every decision and still getting everything wrong! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

We have finally been rid of Mr Negativity Stevo, who wanted a free kick given in every set, and replaced with the abomination that is Stuart Charisma Bypass Cummins.

Exactly. I'm actually a huge fan of Eddie Hemmings and think without Stevo by his side, he really has become the voice of RL in the UK. It's just about surrounding him with the best people and making him focus on the game and not the referees. 

As for Baz and Tez: tricky one, but I personally like the humour and honesty they add. They are the real RL hardmen who we know and love. 

For me, Cummings is the issue. Although if we didn't go to the video ref so much it would certainly be less of a problem :/ 

I think it’s time for a huge overhaul in sky presentation , it’s total bloated and overdone . Cummings , the cringing twosome and Clarke have all run their course or aren’t working for mine . Aussies pair it down and it works great with fewer but authoritive and humourous combinations . They have wells and Carney there , they have rod studd who’s seemingly confined to irregular darts , and could introduce a couple of new analysts . But I fear it’ll be just same old same old , including thursday night games , nothing over the weekend bar the Catalans feed fortnightly , still only two games shown in paltry comparison to elsewhere , and no championship coverage in a very exciting year for it .

• Like 1

I agree it is bloated, completely.

I haven't listened to a game on the radio for years until I was caught out a couple of months back as I was driving so missing the Wigan-Saints game.

Listening to Ray French's commentary I was struck by how straightforward and easy to follow it was.  I know Ray has his detractors but he followed the play so much more closely than Eddie Hemmings does. 

The commentators in the NRL and on Premier Sports for the World Cup are superior.

Eddie still has the feel to me even after all these years of someone who doesn't really know the sport.  I don't know how that can be, but that's how it feels.  You can tell he's never touched a ball.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I am afraid I couldn't give you a like because I wouldn't have Cummings anywhere near a microphone, but totally agree on Baz n Terry.

I despise in equal measure Barrie's purring approval for any 'big forward' who milks a penalty by flopping about like a seal. He praises those 'fighting to play the ball' when usually it is the absolute opposite, it is just making the ruck even more of a mess.

• Like 2

Ray French,for all he is a nice bloke, is virtually impossible to follow, IMHO it is just a stream of errors and misidentification.

Are you sure it was him?

20 minutes ago, Colly said:

Ray French,for all he is a nice bloke, is virtually impossible to follow, IMHO it is just a stream of errors and misidentification.

Are you sure it was him?

French is fine to listen to on the radio. It is when you compare what he has said to what actually happened that it starts to break down. I remember one Wire game Ray commentated on where I only learned there had been a sending off when I went on a forum after the game.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Just Browny said:

I am afraid I couldn't give you a like because I wouldn't have Cummings anywhere near a microphone, but totally agree on Baz n Terry.

I despise in equal measure Barrie's purring approval for any 'big forward' who milks a penalty by flopping about like a seal. He praises those 'fighting to play the ball' when usually it is the absolute opposite, it is just making the ruck even more of a mess.

Nail.  Head.

20 minutes ago, Colly said:

Are you sure it was him?

I can get strangely fascinated by Ray French's commentary on Radio Murkyside, but really it's the aural equivalent of a car crash and would give any detractor of the sport plenty of ammunition.

4 hours ago, Just Browny said:

French is fine to listen to on the radio. It is when you compare what he has said to what actually happened that it starts to break down. I remember one Wire game Ray commentated on where I only learned there had been a sending off when I went on a forum after the game.

Poor old Ray, I do like him but I feel he was commentating for 10 years too long.   Listening on the radio was fine because you were non-the-wiser as to what was really happening.   Although many times I would turn on Part way through and given false hope - that Warrington were comfortably in front and heaping  pressure on the opposition line only to find out that he was actually talking about our opponents and we’d lost yet again.

I was also encouraged by “Lee” Penny’s ability to remain on the Warrington roster, albeit as a speedy, smaller and ethnically different winger, well into the 2010’s...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Colly said:

Are you sure it was him?

Caught Ray on the final hooter/love rugby league was really impressed.  Great storyteller and obviously has a good knowledge of the game. 

Never used to rate him as a commentator, but in hindsight has not been the worst.

But always felt the game needs a more modern professional image.

Needs to look more at the NFL.

14 hours ago, Scubby said:

We just don't need him in there. A bit like we don't need "Mooooooove" 

Haha who was the inventer of "Moooooooove"?Is there a stipulation in the referees rules and regs that states:

"When player is tackled refs need quick play the ball by clearing the ruck with a long Cow "Mooooooo + ve".Yes annoying as hell almost as bad as draw-R-ing instead draw-ing

1 hour ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Caught Ray on the final hooter/love rugby league was really impressed.  Great storyteller and obviously has a good knowledge of the game. 

Never used to rate him as a commentator, but in hindsight has not been the worst.

But always felt the game needs a more modern professional image.

Needs to look more at the NFL.

Tried it with Australian,Irish,Southern accents to give it the gloss and photoshop uplift.Ray French was shocking,Eddie Waring was terrible.Trouble with league on one side you have the dour old parochial buggers who wanna go back to 1918 terracing and muddy fields in winter .On the other hand people who want open Pandoras box (Perez) people who embrace change as a positive.