IAN1966

NRL on television in UK 2018 - Latest Situation 12 Jan

Apparently, people who have called to cancel their Premier Sports subscription have been told that they are still trying to negotiate rights to carry on showing the NRL. No official announcement yet, and there probably won't be one for a while.

However, the NRL have launched their own streaming service, available anywhere outside Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific Islands. This is definite, and I doubt people will want to double up subscriptions with this and PS, so it depends if the latter get the same comprehensive coverage as before, or just selected matches per week.

Edited by Futtocks

I think I read that premier sports could not afford what the NRL wanted this time 

So left field open to bt and sky 

To fight it out 

Imo hope bt get hold of it as can see them using the magazine shows aswell 

I have enjoyed the Premier Sports NRL Coverage. It was a single channel subscription I thought was good value, even though I watched little else of its content.

I won’t subscribe to Sky Sports or BT as I don’t want to pay a cart load more. I hope Premier can get it again.

I don’t like the streaming idea either. It isn’t as good quality or as reliable in my experience.

I did previously watch via Setanta who appear closely related to PSP. It wasn’t as good in those days as it had a weaker signal and could be lost if it rained!

Ah well, it was good while it lasted. 

Another thread on a TRL thread suggests that NRL coverage will be with Sky Sports for 2018

I expect that means paying more for less coverage of NRL games and shows.

As always I'll be interesting to see what is offered and at what price, but can't see me shelling out to Sky for it.

If the rumour is true, although I subscribe to sky sports, I have an uneasy feeling the game (s) they show will be on a Saturday morning and on the red button.

Just have to wait and see.

I contacted Premier Sports they have a couple of programmes on RL and the Toronto games. Sent Sky an email asking if they are to cover the NRL still awaiting a reply but if you search on Sky all of the fixtures come up with kick off times. Hope they have it. 

Yes but how many games will they show? Would they be able to show two or three a week like Setanta did or will they be allowed to show all the games? If so would they decide to show them all or not?

As the song goes “There are more questions than answers.”

I actually hope Sky/BT show the NRL as I have both and won't have to fork out the extra cash for PS, although I do enjoy their coverage. 

• Like 1

Hi, 

My boyfriend and I recently moved to the UK and my boyfriend is a hug Brisbane Broncos Fan. I am looking at getting him a subscription to a service that he can watch all the 2018 games on for Christmas. Can someone help me with what would be the best service to get? 

2 hours ago, yorknrl said:

Hi, 

My boyfriend and I recently moved to the UK and my boyfriend is a hug Brisbane Broncos Fan. I am looking at getting him a subscription to a service that he can watch all the 2018 games on for Christmas. Can someone help me with what would be the best service to get? 

no body seems to know whats happening yet, no one has announced a thing- maybe hang to your cash to avoid any unwanted contracts for now

5 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

no body seems to know whats happening yet, no one has announced a thing- maybe hang to your cash to avoid any unwanted contracts for now

What he said.

There has been talk of a NRL streaming deal, so keep watching out for details of that.

In the UK, it is very unlikely that a TV deal will offer every match live, so the streaming pass would be the one to go for, once more information emerges.

Edited by Futtocks

The streaming service of NRL outside Oz is being promoted on Facebook with the chance to register an interest page.

4FB7BB70-10BA-4B50-B7FF-0BEDD6BF6F84.thumb.jpeg.e4482d667c025a98694cc220635018f3.jpeg

Well that's it then, Premier Sports are out of the NRL 2018 picture literally.

Found this summary of the latest situation today here:  https://www.rugbyleagueontv.com/contracts

What it says: (The likely cost is not necessarily 100% accurate but gives and idea of a likely sort of cost)

5a589b3f0d75f_NRLonTV.JPG.b0dadfedd193dc82aec8f9f5d368fa2d.JPG

Premier Sports rights to NRL Coverage ended at the end of the 2017 season.

They do not hold any rights for the 2018 season.

From 2018 the NRL are now offering the Fox League Channel from Australia to worldwide viewers via a streaming service at watchnrl.com, that will stream every game live. The cost of this is likely to be £22 a month BUT if you pay for an annual subscription in one lump sum (£125) this will bring the cost down to an equivalent of £10.40 per month*. 

In addition to the online partnership, Fox have been given the option to sell on games to TV Broadcasters also. Its expected that Sky Sports will get this option and show some NRL games per week (three of the eight I'd expect) with the rest on the streaming service.

*Price Estimates are based on the cost of Aussie Rules Equivalent watchafl.com.au.

10 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

streaming? do we have to watch games on phones and laptops? record? pause etc ? premier was easy no hassle almost perfect in fact

Games will be on demand and you can pause, FFW, RWD, skip the commercial breaks... I've tried with AFL, got some problems on the FOX Footy live feed, but the rest works perfectly.

If you don't have a browser on your smart tv, you'll need a laptop or a tablet with HDMI out and plug it to your tv.

49 minutes ago, manu266 said:

Games will be on demand and you can pause, FFW, RWD, skip the commercial breaks... I've tried with AFL, got some problems on the FOX Footy live feed, but the rest works perfectly.

If you don't have a browser on your smart tv, you'll need a laptop or a tablet with HDMI out and plug it to your tv.

im not over fussed for having a telly of any kind to be honest never mind the rest of the trammel