Sign in to follow this  
millomite

Reserve Grade - Evening Mail Article

Todays article:

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/sport/barrow-raiders/article/Barrow-Raiders-boss-still-keen-on-bringing-back-reserves-7e4a0f8c-db60-4584-813e-e43cdbbaad0c-ds

This might sound a bit far fetched, but does anyone know the limitations in terms of putting a Raiders Reserve grade team into the Barrow & District league? I don't know enough about the ins and out of pro/amateur policies but it just seems like their could be a whole host of benefits for both the club and the amateur scene.

Obviously one of the clubs concerns is the cost of running in a reserve grade competition. If it was plausible, running a team in the Barrow and District league wouldn't cost anywhere near as much as travel would be minimal and I'd imagine you'd get decent crowds.

The league itself is ideal for those graduating from the U19s structure into Open age rugby, as many of the teams in the Barrow and District leagues are made up of young lads out of the Under 16s and players coming to the end of their career helping the young lads out. This type of level would be ideal for young raiders players, who will still be developing physically, to play against Open age teams without the speed, strength, size etc of a super league reserve side. You could argue that the games would be one sided, but I'm sure the amateur teams would raise their game against a Barrow Reserves side. I know from personal experience playing or Millom, when you saw the likes of Pat Trainer, Mike Whitehead etc were going to be playing, you definitely upped your game.

For me the key benefit would be the engagement with the local amateur teams you would gain from it. You'd be putting money behind the bars of each of the clubs and on the gate I'm sure when the Raiders Reserves were playing. The Raiders coaching staff would also have the added benefit of keeping an eye on the local playing scene on a weekly basis, for kids who make have slipped the net or been late bloomers. In addition you'd get good crowds at Craven Park for the home games (either as curtain raisers or on alternate weekends with the first team) which would be easy to manage given the close proximity of the teams the reserves would be playing against.

I think it could really reinvigorate the local amateur scene, as well as giving the young raiders/players lacking game time an opportunity to get some match fitness. It may even encourage the local first teams to come back from the conference, north west mens league etc if the raiders could improve the overall standard and running of the league.

Like I say, an out there suggestion which may be impossible. I think it's worth consideration though

Personally think there is no point in it. The standard of the B&D league is nowhere near what it once was and miles away from the level a Barrow Reserve side should be playing at. 

Best thing for Barrow would be dual reg with the amateur sides. Best thing for the amateurs is to stick with their own players and let Barrow sort themselves out. 

If the first teams came back into the division it'd be a lot better

but there needs to be some sort of enticement for that to happen

If every team had reserves the 2nds could travel on the same bus as the first team.

One of the problems with that is having one team hanging around for an hour and a half whilst the other team plays. The solution could be to play the 2nd teams at a nearby venue ( Hindpool Tigers?) with a concurrent kick off time.

That wouldn't cost too much and would give a little bit of a boost to a local amatuer club. 

Edited by Bearman

Good post millomite for an interesting idea. Some good points made and would love to see a curtain raiser at home games but not sure our pitch would stand up to it, especially in early season. I've been disappointed with our pitch the last few seasons but that's another thread. However, Shawy does have a point about local standards at the moment but then contradicts him self in the last paragraph.

I would love to know the commercial reasons for not running a reserve team next season? The main costs as I see it are kit...surely a sponser could be found, if not collections in the ground, travelling expenses....the local amateurs seem to manage ok although it is a burden on them I admit but not one that stops them doing it. Apart from these I really can't see what the main costs are. Then again i'm probably being a bit naive, which is why i'm asking.  millomite is right, we would get crowds/ish to offset some of the costs. A big plus is it would set the organisation of the reserves up to when we are ready to compete in a proper reserve league.

So all in all, a worthy consideration and the more I think about it, the more I like it. Tin hat on and await replies.

I obviously meant dual reg with the 1st teams playing in NCL or NWML rather than playing against Hindpool or Walney 2nd team team who may not even raise a side and even if they do may not have a full 13 

I see your point now shawy but where is the pathway for the up and coming players if Barrow reserves are taking up half the team? I think the big picture here is to get the top local teams back into the Barrow league instead of playing NCL, NWML, et al. No travelling costs, no travelling time for the players, easier to recruit players, go back to the time when Barrow had one of the strongest leagues in the RL. Sorry, I digress but we have diluted to the point where it's too difficult for locals to travel with shift work etc I don't think duel reg would help at all. Who would pick the side? Barrow or the local coach? Who would decide if someone is too injured to play? Who decides what? How do you run a reserve  team if half your players are playing for one side and the other half playing for another? And so on and so on.

I am not in favour of dual reg myself but if Barrow can’t afford to run a reserve team I just think it’s their best option for keeping fringe players active. 

Cant see a Barrow and District League ever coming to fruition. You hear people harp on about it but none of these people seem to be players and at the end of the day they are what matter. 

If and when Barrow do have a reserve side how will that effect the amateur game locally? To take 20 lads out of the community game will be a huge loss and we don’t really have great numbers of kids coming through to replace them anymore. 

What’s BARLA anymore? Most leagues are RFL run 

NWML allowed it last season,  NCL don’t allow it, not 100% on Yorkshire but don’t think it’s allowed. 

1 hour ago, shawy13 said:

What’s BARLA anymore? Most leagues are RFL run 

NWML allowed it last season,  NCL don’t allow it, not 100% on Yorkshire but don’t think it’s allowed. 

My bad, I knew the NCL were agin it.

Thanks guys, just shows my point on playing in different leagues. Walney v Askam,  Millom v Barrow Island, twice a season. Plus the other teams wanting to join in. How I wish.

Shawy, good point about people harping on about it, maybe we should ask the players? We might not have the numbers of kids coming through as opposed to twenty years ago but I think today's junior teams are more healthy than you think. Bit of disrespect there for all the great work being done by the coaches giving their time for the youngsters. I know from watching my grandson come through the grades, the coaches and parents aren't harping on. They are just doing it. Have faith my friend.

1 hour ago, TMF said:

Thanks guys, just shows my point on playing in different leagues. Walney v Askam,  Millom v Barrow Island, twice a season. Plus the other teams wanting to join in. How I wish.

Shawy, good point about people harping on about it, maybe we should ask the players? We might not have the numbers of kids coming through as opposed to twenty years ago but I think today's junior teams are more healthy than you think. Bit of disrespect there for all the great work being done by the coaches giving their time for the youngsters. I know from watching my grandson come through the grades, the coaches and parents aren't harping on. They are just doing it. Have faith my friend.

No dispresoect at all. I am one of those junior coaches so I know exactly what state the game is in. We have plenty of kids coming through we just can’t retain them for whatever reason. 

Regarding opinions I ask the open age players at my club every year what league they want to play in so I already know what their thoughts are and I know the thoughts are of a lot of other clubs players and coaches. In my opinion there are more cons than pros to a new look B&D League which I won’t go into on here but it’s certainly not going to happen anytime soon. 

As a coach, respect mate and you are obviously in a better position than me to comment. It is difficult to retain kids with all the options available in this technological age and I admit I didn't know there are more cons than pros. I just wish I knew why? Again, respect to you and all the other coaches.