Man of Kent

NRL coming back to Sky Sports

Excellent news in my opinion as it brings the game to a much wider audience. For all the plus points of Premier Sports it is small time and preaching to the converted. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

So does this mean that Sky Subscribers will have access to the NRL app as part of their subscription?

That would be good

Just now, DavidM said:

That would be good

I'm not holding my breath. Maybe one game or two games per week on Sky and the option to subscribe to the app?

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

I'm not holding my breath. Maybe one game or two games per week on Sky and the option to subscribe to the app?

Yep , more like it 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Cancelled my prem yesterday so won’t need that again 

You could tell it was coming for sure. Premier's attitude for the last few months has been questionable. 

Premier can offer total coverage, and mostly live and in full.

Sky can offer something else; money. With the shake-up of Sky Sports channels, they may need something to fill Action or Arena's morning schedule, so we'll just have to wait and see how many games they offer per week.

It also provides all the televised RL available on a single subscription.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

I'm a bit apprehensive, we got every game with full pre and post shows and I'm scared we might just purely get kick off to final hooter. With one or two games a week even then hidden away on the red button behind Super Rugby.

24 minutes ago, Damien said:

Excellent news in my opinion as it brings the game to a much wider audience. For all the plus points of Premier Sports it is small time and preaching to the converted. 

Do you watch the Super Rugby or pro Kabaddi? It will be exactly the same audience. No one but ardent RL fans are getting up at 7am to watch the NRL

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

It'll only be highlights show

I really really really hope not or it’s just pointless after we’ve been used to such riches on Prem . The highlights show on sky should be the Championship. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I really really really hope not or it’s just pointless after we’ve been used to such riches on Prem . The highlights show on sky should be the Championship. 

I'm willing to be proved wrong but I don't think it will be much more than highlights and ad hoc games on red button 

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

They show Southern Hemisphere rugby a lot at these times as well I believe 

They have multiple channels, and the only other thing from Down Under that would clash with live NRL coverage is AFL, which is already signed up to BT Sport.

Premier Sports coverage of the NRL was top rate. 

Can't see Sky if they do get NRL prioritising it enough to be as good.

It'll be interesting to see their plans.

All the same I can't see me subscribing.

Edited by Graham

I wonder if live Sky matches will be blocked on the NRL app for the UK. This happens with NHL Ice Hockey, I believe.

Oh no! Premier show every game and it's really good value at £12 a month. There's no way that Sky will offer the same coverage and it's more expensive. I don't care for Super League post-licensing so don't have Sky and I'm not going to take it out just for the odd NRL game or a highlights package. This is thus a hammer blow for me (and for the growth of the sport in this country I would say). Really worrying stuff - hope it's not true but I guess that's hope against hope. 

• Like 3

Premier sport wasnt doing anything to grow RL in this country. It was broadcasting some Aussie rugby to the converted.

A couple of live games a week on sky would be great if they also had NRL Fulltime.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Premier sport wasnt doing anything to grow RL in this country. It was broadcasting some Aussie rugby to the converted.

A couple of live games a week on sky would be great if they also had NRL Fulltime.

Great for those who watch SL but not those like me who only watch NRL.

I get what you're saying but in essence your argument is "our parochialism is better than your parochialism".

I think NRL is a better vehicle to grow the sport in this country outside of our heartlands than is SL. It's a better "product" at the end of the day and of higher quality.