NRL coming back to Sky Sports

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

Probably not but the NRL app may be. Who knows? And of course for many this is great news as they don't have to fork out extra for Premier. 

At the end of the day I think the majority of fans want Rugby League to grow. For me a big part of that is generating as much revenue as possible and reaching as wide an audience as possible. I presume this will generate more money for the NRL and it will certainly reach a wider audience. This is great news. Fans of Premier Sports don't have a device right for every match to be shown for perpetually 

You're right - who knows. I'm surprised that you speculate that only the "majority of fans want RL to grow" - who are this minority who don't want this?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Premier have done a great job at a very reasonable cost.

Sky previously had NRL but discarded it. Our whole game was changed in so many ways at the time Sky entered our RL world. We moved from Winter to Summer, glammed up the game and gave them all they wanted for their money - a dream ticket of SL and NRL. They chucked NRL and thanks to Premier (previously Setanta) we found a way to pick up the pieces as viewers of NRL. 

I’m not snubbing Sky Sports, but am not as predisposed to subscribe to it given the commitment and quality and effort put in by Premier and Sky’s lack of commitment in the past.

If they do get NRL I hope they give it a good go this time.

25 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Being unable or unwilling to afford Sky's prices is quite different from "snubbing" I believe.

I am not judging what people do, however those who cancel sky subscriptions cannot moan if we get a lower value broadcasting deal in future, as a consequence of falling viewers 

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Premier have done a great job at a very reasonable cost.

Sky previously had NRL but discarded it. Our whole game was changed in so many ways at the time Sky entered our RL world. We moved from Winter to Summer, glammed up the game and gave them all they wanted for their money - a dream ticket of SL and NRL. They chucked NRL and thanks to Premier (previously Setanta) we found a way to pick up the pieces as viewers of NRL. 

I’m not snubbing Sky Sports, but am not as predisposed to subscribe to it given the commitment and quality and effort put in by Premier and Sky’s lack of commitment in the past.

If they do get NRL I hope they give it a good go this time.

Sky didn't discard it. Setanta offered a better deal back in 2007 at a time when Sky expanded into Championship coverage. Setanta have carried on for 10 years into being Premier bar a few months when Setanta collapsed. 

The key here is that Fox Sports, who are running the online service, hold control of the selling on of rights to TV in the UK. Sky is easy logic with Murdoch links to both companies.

I expect it'll be three games a round sold on plus origin and play offs, with rest online but this will be at the call of Fox wanting to make it worth having the online service on top of Sky coverage for die hards . 

Also with Fox controlling the rights, expect to get fox coverage of all the games, instead of Channel 9, except maybe Origin. 

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Being unable or unwilling to afford Sky's prices is quite different from "snubbing" I believe.

Of course you are right but it is a commercial product and nobody is entitled to see it.

It is important to ensure as many as possible can watch it and more will do so on sky sports.

48 minutes ago, Bilko said:

Sky didn't discard it. Setanta offered a better deal back in 2007 at a time when Sky expanded into Championship coverage. Setanta have carried on for 10 years into being Premier bar a few months when Setanta collapsed. 

The key here is that Fox Sports, who are running the online service, hold control of the selling on of rights to TV in the UK. Sky is easy logic with Murdoch links to both companies.

I expect it'll be three games a round sold on plus origin and play offs, with rest online but this will be at the call of Fox wanting to make it worth having the online service on top of Sky coverage for die hards . 

Also with Fox controlling the rights, expect to get fox coverage of all the games, instead of Channel 9, except maybe Origin. 

As I understood it Bilko, Sky didn’t renew for NRL, i.e. they didn’t bid for it and so Setanta then did. 

If they had wanted it surely they would have the resources or clout to get it?

Still Sky, we are led to believe on this thread want it back.

It will cost more so I hope the coverage is as good or better even though it will cost those without Sky Sports what £18 (assuming they already have a sky box and some sort of package) for the single channel with RL,not the £12 PS charged? Granted it’ll have SL as well.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

It is important to ensure as many as possible can watch it and more will do so on sky sports.

Well it's that or keep it the secret a few might wish it was.

To me, whatever your misgivings about Sky you either like RL enough to pay for it or you don't. The only reason I have Sky is TGG if they dropped our game I'd drop them. I had Sky and Premier because  of RL and sadly Prem looks like it's going to the dark side and that's fine by me.

For the moment Sky is the only game in town and the only sensible game in town for our sport.

If BT see the light brilliant.

If Virgin come to the bright side of the road excellent.

Until then ...........

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

11 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Have they officially announced it ? Strange if not as it’s big news and they love nothing more than self promotion and trumpeting acquisitions ?

Perhaps it is the NRL fine tuning the streaming. It could will be a combined deal with a couple of NRL games on Sky and the rest available via the NRL stream? 

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

I'll be getting the app. Wonder how much it is for the year.

Based on the AFL app that costs £125 for the year or £22 per month.

Tbh im looking like staying witg Premier for TWP games and Sky for SL and the limited NRL.

Itll be a shame not being able to watxh whichever game I want but 2 or 3 games a week is more than i watched it full anyway.

I would pay 5 or 6 quid a month but obvioisly it wont be that low.

20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Tbh im looking like staying witg Premier for TWP games and Sky for SL and the limited NRL.

Itll be a shame not being able to watxh whichever game I want but 2 or 3 games a week is more than i watched it full anyway.

If I remember correctly fox league broadcast live super league last year. The 2018 NRL subscription includes fox league. I’m not sure how they’ll handle the SL issue as it would clash with sky broadcasts.

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Way too much that, Can't see many signing up. 

1 minute ago, Copa said:

If I remember correctly fox league broadcast live super league last year. The 2018 NRL subscription includes fox league. I’m not sure how they’ll handle the SL issue as it would clash with sky broadcasts.

I suspect it would just be blocked - they also had challenge cup.

Or maybe a radical deal which allows Fox to show SL and CC in return for NRL rights on Sky - and maybe a cut for Sky?

2 minutes ago, Copa said:

They will just block it.

On the NFL app they black out the games that SKY show

1 minute ago, Mattrhino said:

Way too much that, Can't see many signing up. 

I think this is where things like this become tricky. 

When you look at what you get with other streaming channels (non-sport) it is hard to justify 22 quid a month.

1 minute ago, Mattrhino said:

They will just block it.

On the NFL app they black out the games that SKY show

I wonder if you could use a VPN and then get the NRL and SL games?

If possible I’m sure someone will announce their “solution” online within the first week.

Archived