Sign in to follow this  
DeadShotKeen

England vs Tonga - what it tells us

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Then if that is granted the team will be full of Aussies, Kiwi's, Pacific Islanders and maybe some Brits, contrary to popular opinion I do not think they would be good enough in the NRL to have the vast majority of their playing roster made up of PNG player's.

They don’t have to all be PNG qualified players.

53 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I don’t think Gale will be happy overall with his WC performances, but disagree that his Cas game makes him better than he is.  The lad can play, what we see in SL is what he can do, they aren’t flash in the pans.

He’s been better since Widdop went to FB but his kicking (straight to the defender) just isn’t good enough at this standard.  Having given that opinion, it might be more realistic that WB has instructed him to kick that way.  Keep the ball in play, don’t risk kicking dead etc.  Forcing more repeat sets v Australia is absolutely key.  I’ve said at least 4, before and if he can do that we improve our scoring chances.

His kicking was good yesterday.  He put several exceptional kicks in to win repeat possession.   Although I agree it hasn't been great throughout the tournament. 

6 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

Perth is a huge city with a big TV market which is what todays NRL is all about sadly. PNG is a poor 3rd world country with huge security problems. It’ll be decades if not never when we’ll see a PNG based franchise playing in the NRL.

If it was that straight forward Perth would already be in would they not? I have never been there but I understand that it mainly Aussie Rules and cricket. Professional RU and RL teams have come and gone there?

PNG is a very undeveloped country but which apparently stands on the edge of massive development in minerals and gas? Lots of people means food and entertainment. RL is already number one there . The danger is if RL leaves it too long other sports may move in and usurp it.  This “huge security problems” thing is always trotted out in these conversations but I watched all the matches from Port Moresby live and quite frankly the fans looked a lovely bunch of people.  When Lam celebrated his cry, premiership football style, most of the fans were very restrained in showing their emotions I thought.  

BTW I don’t know if you’ve ever watched Chelsea or Millwall play? 😊

Edited by westlondonfan

1 hour ago, MZH said:

Gale has been fine this tournement. I do stand by what I said in the MOS discussion though. The way Cas play with everything centred around him and everyone playing their roles so well makes him look better than he is.

I think alot of it is just a case of him been asked to do different things.  Normally his place in attack at Cas is to take the line on and throw the 'money' pass with the try been scored by the receiver or with one more pass.  Cas tend to place their most effective attacking threats on the left edge (his side) and as you say are very well organised offensively (Gale is the main on field organiser though to be fair)

He plays predominantly left edge for England who have a much stronger right edge attack.  He does the same things he does at Cas (take the line on, draw players and create space) but much earlier in the sequence of play and often the centre of the field,  with this in mind I think it tends to go unnoticed a bit but in my opinion is a pretty important feature of our attack.  It's just not as obviously pivotal a feature as at Cas.

55 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

If it was that straight forward Perth would already be in would they not? I have never been there but I understand that it mainly Aussie Rules and cricket. Professional RU and RL teams have come and gone there?

PNG is a very undeveloped country but which apparently stands on the edge of massive development in minerals and gas? Lots of people means food and entertainment. RL is already number one there . The danger is if RL leaves it too long other sports may move in and usurp it.  This “huge security problems” thing is always trotted out in these conversations but I watched all the matches from Port Moresby live and quite frankly the fans looked a lovely bunch of people.  When Lam celebrated his cry, premiership football style, some of the fans almost looked embarrassed by the level of emotion shown.  

BTW I don’t know if you’ve ever watched Chelsea or Millwall play? 😊

Perth would/should be already in the NRL by now but the people running the NRL today and their current thinking is very different than that prior to the super league wars. Perth has the population, the stadia, the grassroots and the historic good RL crowds to justify a NRL franchise. The only problem is the regressive people who run the NRL.

As for PNG itself the country and its people do indeed sit on top of huge resources of oil, gas and minerals both discovered and untapped but like all poor 3rd world countries the high level of corruption between the government and mega multinational corporations sadly means that the little people i.e the 99% of PNG’s population do not benefit from this.

Also the security problems I was talking about isn’t the crowd control but for the city of Port Moresby and the country as a whole. Port Moresby constantly ranks in the top 10 most dangerous cities on the planet each year. There is a large armed security presence around hotels, shops, banks etc and taking the local transport is considered a huge risk. Plus the local ”Raskol” gangs are notorious in Port Moresby.

10 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Hiw can i watch the game back in NZ? 

2 hours ago, Gates1 said:

His kicking was good yesterday.  He put several exceptional kicks in to win repeat possession.   Although I agree it hasn't been great throughout the tournament. 

Genuine question mate as I don’t know.  I remember he got one repeat set but not sure on any more.  Was there more?

17 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Genuine question mate as I don’t know.  I remember he got one repeat set but not sure on any more.  Was there more?

No worries.  Two jump out at me without much thought.  

Kick that led to the scrum/1st try.  Followed the Widdop break and he chipped it for Hall.  Was pretty perfectly placed and Tonga winger had to catch it in touch 1m out to stop Hall taking it.  We scored directly from subsequent scrum.  

The long distance one in the second half is probably the one you remember?

Edited by Gates1

12 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

No worries.  Two jump out at me without much thought.  

Kick that led to the scrum/1st try.  Followed the Widdop break and he chipped it for Hall.  Was pretty perfectly placed and Tonga winger had to catch it in touch 1m out to stop Hall taking it.  We scored directly from subsequent scrum.  

The long distance one in the second half is probably the one you remember?

No, it was for the 1st Try!!  Maybe missed it as I was bloody cold and left the room once or twice.  

We need more of them.  Kicking into TIG creates boatloads of pressure.  Must have more next weekend!

3 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

No, it was for the 1st Try!!  Maybe missed it as I was bloody cold and left the room once or twice.  

We need more of them.  Kicking into TIG creates boatloads of pressure.  Must have more next weekend!

We seem to prefer to end a set with a lofted kick to the corner rather than trying to force repeat sets. Watch Cronk grind us down next week.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

We seem to prefer to end a set with a lofted kick to the corner rather than trying to force repeat sets. Watch Cronk grind us down next week.

This is what I was alluding to.  Maybe he is under orders, but we just have to turn them around more and punt to the space.  Easier said than done but just dallying it to Slater isn’t good business.

We have the ability to make it easier for these kicks but we’re not showing it.

Edited by Lowdesert

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

gale won the man of steel which is just basically an instant  curse to the career of any player, chase - hardaker - daryl clark- danny brough  etc etc

Sam Tomkins

14 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

gale won the man of steel which is just basically an instant  curse to the career of any player, chase - hardaker - daryl clark- danny brough  etc etc

Didn’t do Danny Houghton any harm either!

:negative:

On 26/11/2017 at 11:48 AM, walter sobchak said:

Perth would/should be already in the NRL by now but the people running the NRL today and their current thinking is very different than that prior to the super league wars. Perth has the population, the stadia, the grassroots and the historic good RL crowds to justify a NRL franchise. The only problem is the regressive people who run the NRL.

As for PNG itself the country and its people do indeed sit on top of huge resources of oil, gas and minerals both discovered and untapped but like all poor 3rd world countries the high level of corruption between the government and mega multinational corporations sadly means that the little people i.e the 99% of PNG’s population do not benefit from this.

Also the security problems I was talking about isn’t the crowd control but for the city of Port Moresby and the country as a whole. Port Moresby constantly ranks in the top 10 most dangerous cities on the planet each year. There is a large armed security presence around hotels, shops, banks etc and taking the local transport is considered a huge risk. Plus the local ”Raskol” gangs are notorious in Port Moresby.

I am not sure about what you say about the people who run the NRL but I wouldn’t disagree with the rest of what you say. But isn’t NYC itself famous for corruption and criminal gangs. It hasn’t stopped organised sport there. Another example might be the West Indies. I expect places like Jamaica has had some of the same problems as Port Moresby but it didn’t stop its cricket being very successful both at home and away. I think you can always find excuses not to do something but international RL desperately needs a couple more tier 1 teams in my opinion and PNG seem best placed to make that leap. The three matches at Port Moresby were a million miles away from what had been predicted by some on this forum over the years.

Anyway despite what some others have said on here I think that it has been a really fascinating World Cup and I am really looking forward to Saturday. I just hope after the final international RL is not forgotten for another four years until the next World Cup.