Sign in to follow this  
Hullfan

Yorkshire cup Semi finals

Recommended Posts

Lock Lane v East Leeds

Ovenden v North hull 

Both ties played this weekend 9/12/17, I've been watching NHK and must say how good they looking. Admittedly don't know much if anything about the other 3 teams. Unfortunately work comes first so won't b going to watch this weekend. Does anybody know were the final is at?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe it is at Featherstone Rovers on Sunday,28th January but double check it!It should be a good game this Saturday at Ovenden between 2 unbeaten teams.Looking forward to it but North Hull will have to play for 80 minutes and not 40 like they did at Sharlston in the Quarters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, georgehadgingerhair said:

Surprise , surprise same weekend as 1st round of Challenge Cup which three of the teams have been invited to enter. So at least one team has two cup games that weekend.

Why are you surprised, it's the challenge cup that altered it's dates not the amateur game - We've played both East Leeds and Lock Lane in the last month and got beat by both, from what I've seen East Leeds by 18, I expect both of their league season to fall to pieces within two weeks of their cup campaign 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The start of the challenge cup has been the last weekend of January for several seasons.

This years Yorkshire cup final was on 21 Jan according to the barla website and wasn't it usually played between Christmas and New Year in previous years?

Edited by Impartial Observer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

The start of the challenge cup has been the last weekend of January for several seasons.

This years Yorkshire cup final was on 21 Jan according to the barla website and wasn't it usually played between Christmas and New Year in previous years?

 

15 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

The start of the challenge cup has been the last weekend of January for several seasons.

This years Yorkshire cup final was on 21 Jan according to the barla website and wasn't it usually played between Christmas and New Year in previous years?

The players representing Lock Lane & East Leeds are Pennine players (So we are told) and neither of those teams qualified to go into the challenge cup via the Pennine League (But we all know what's happening)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the issues arising here sum up the problem with the summer winter debate

What was agreed to have happened was choice and two separate seasons should compliment each other

Instead the Summer game ( RFL ) considers the other does not exist, when it should be looking after it. Sensibly dates for the Challenge Cup should be known a few years ahead, I bet I could with research find out the date of the FA Cup extra preliminary round for 2019 already.

It is eas to suggest who is at fault here and pass blame but simply the calendar should be bookable up to 2 years ahead and once a date is taken, then it is booked

It is much easier than working out a staff holiday system and most organisations can do that. Maybe we should get sponsorship from Ryanair .   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, groundhopper said:

I think the issues arising here sum up the problem with the summer winter debate

What was agreed to have happened was choice and two separate seasons should compliment each other

Instead the Summer game ( RFL ) considers the other does not exist, when it should be looking after it. Sensibly dates for the Challenge Cup should be known a few years ahead, I bet I could with research find out the date of the FA Cup extra preliminary round for 2019 already.

It is eas to suggest who is at fault here and pass blame but simply the calendar should be bookable up to 2 years ahead and once a date is taken, then it is booked

It is much easier than working out a staff holiday system and most organisations can do that. Maybe we should get sponsorship from Ryanair .   

The RFL invite the Pennine League winners into the Challenge Cup each year so they don’t pretend it doesn’t exiat

As somebody else pointed out the Challenge Cup has been schedule for the same weekend for a number of years so hardly a big surprise and could be worked around, as the early rounds are now streamed online by the BBC I very much doubt there’s much flexibility to change it now

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Marauder said:

 

The players representing Lock Lane & East Leeds are Pennine players (So we are told) and neither of those teams qualified to go into the challenge cup via the Pennine League (But we all know what's happening)

Marauder please clarify what you mean because I may be naïve whats happening ?

Is this because as previously stated by yourself both teams have beaten you recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Marauder said:

 

The players representing Lock Lane & East Leeds are Pennine players (So we are told) and neither of those teams qualified to go into the challenge cup via the Pennine League (But we all know what's happening)

I was told by three tuns players after there Yorkshire cup game against East Leeds, that the regular pennine east leeds players who was dropped for the ncl players were all complaining saying how wrong it is that there was picked ahead of them. I tend to agree. The Yorkshire cup should run through summer so teams with nc teams can't play them. Its only way to solve it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:19 PM, georgehadgingerhair said:

Surprise , surprise same weekend as 1st round of Challenge Cup which three of the teams have been invited to enter. So at least one team has two cup games that weekend.

Hi, The dates of the Yorkshire cup has to be sent out when the entry form is sent out in August, This was before the Rugby League fixtures were out, once the Pro fixtures are published which was in November then the pro clubs can sort out their pre season friendly`s.

Barla had originally put down for the 20th & 21st as well as the 28th. The fixtures could have been changed to the 21st but due to Featherstone at home to York on this date we had to stick to the date originally given of the 28th. Due to Featherstone home on the 14th, 21st Jan & 4th & 11th Feb we are a bit stuck for a venue and as well as the Scholarship games at the end of January and all through February we also have to get the u16`s final as well as the National open age & youth & junior games played before all leagues start playing. hope this answers your comment as the Yorkshire cup final was in the RFL calendar in August before any other games were put in including the Challenge cup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:05 AM, Impartial Observer said:

The start of the challenge cup has been the last weekend of January for several seasons.

This years Yorkshire cup final was on 21 Jan according to the barla website and wasn't it usually played between Christmas and New Year in previous years?

The only reason Barla stopped playing the game between Xmas and new year is due to nobody being interested if it fell on a weekday between Xmas & New Year, years ago people had the week off but things have changed. The Yorkshire Youth & Junior cups were always played before Xmas but again due to the Season now finishing in November the fixtures cannot be fit in before Xmas. Featherstone are at home on the 21st January against York and also at home the 14th Jan as well as the 4th & 11th Feb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, georgehadgingerhair said:

Marauder please clarify what you mean because I may be naïve whats happening ?

Is this because as previously stated by yourself both teams have beaten you recently.

East Leeds beat us nicely, Lock Lane got a lot of the rub of the green and no, you play what's in front of you and on both occasions we where only about 60% of our best, East Leeds where well drilled and organised, Lock Lane struggled at times and there was nothing between the teams - What I'm saying is if NCL sides want to play in the Yorkshire/National Cups I have no problems, If they want to play in the Pennine I have no problems, but to use the Pennine for a warm up before the cup games and if/when they either get knocked out or win it, they then disappear leaving behind mayhem because their system has left a lot of disgruntled players is totally wrong. I'll go for a East Leeds win on what I've seen by 20 points

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hullfan said:

I was told by three tuns players after there Yorkshire cup game against East Leeds, that the regular pennine east leeds players who was dropped for the ncl players were all complaining saying how wrong it is that there was picked ahead of them. I tend to agree. The Yorkshire cup should run through summer so teams with nc teams can't play them. Its only way to solve it

But it's a winter competition and has to be fit around winter fixtures, the NCL sides had stopped entering before they switched simply because the NCL committee saw fit to give teams league fixtures on the same days (was the committee in league with the RFL way back then - will a knighthood be on the way for services to the amateur game)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marauder said:

But it's a winter competition and has to be fit around winter fixtures, the NCL sides had stopped entering before they switched simply because the NCL committee saw fit to give teams league fixtures on the same days (was the committee in league with the RFL way back then - will a knighthood be on the way for services to the amateur game)

Even in the Winter, NCL league fixtures took priority over County Cup games. They did make way for National Cup though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marauder said:

But it's a winter competition and has to be fit around winter fixtures, the NCL sides had stopped entering before they switched simply because the NCL committee saw fit to give teams league fixtures on the same days (was the committee in league with the RFL way back then - will a knighthood be on the way for services to the amateur game)

All the Barla cups are open to any club, not team, its up to the club who plays in the cup games, Egremont won the National cup 3 years ago and put their A team against Oulton in the NCL and played their first team in the semi final  that the NCL was not happy about. The RFL and associate summer leagues wish to finish winter rugby off altogether and have sole power over all the playing leagues,  there doing a good job as we have lost more clubs in last 5 years since summer rugby than we have in last 25 years previously. The Amateur game is struggling throughout and now the RFL with their so called community ideas are trying to kill off the youth game which by the looks of the comments Youth leagues are not happy with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:21 PM, Hullfan said:

I was told by three tuns players after there Yorkshire cup game against East Leeds, that the regular pennine east leeds players who was dropped for the ncl players were all complaining saying how wrong it is that there was picked ahead of them. I tend to agree. The Yorkshire cup should run through summer so teams with nc teams can't play them. Its only way to solve it

Do any of the Three Tuns players who played that day also play for Doncaster or any other semi pro team or is this not true.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The players would be NHK players at the time, pro clubs release players at the end of their season making the players free agents, once the Pro clubs call them back they then become in-eligible for any amateur game once they sign - On this point does anyone know why the amateur club has to transfer the pro player back to their club but the pro clubs doesn't have to transfer the players back ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday

Rugby League World - Online Now - March 2018

Rugby League World - March 2018 - Out Now



Rugby League Books On Sale Here