Recommended Posts

After today there are only 55 calender days and probably a maximum of 32 working days to go before the 2018 season kicks off, we all know the league structure is staying the same with the 3 x 8's but no one is any the wiser what that means going into the 2019 season, Mr Wood and his band of merry men have had somewhere in the region of 7 to 8 months since the initial Possible re-structuring was mooted by Mr Roger Draper.

If it is to carry on the same in 2019 OK, but:-

If the 8's conclude in that some teams would be swopping divisions between the SL & Championship, likeyhood says it will, in 3 seasons we have had 2 exchanges and 7 minutes away from a third, will the results stand?

Is SL going to be the same with 12 or decreased to 10 or 11 or increased to 13 or 14 clubs in 2019?

Are we going back to licencing? If so what will be the critera that has to be acheived for entry, the last document had more holes than a sieve, it needs ripping up and starting again. If we are going back to licencing will the entry level be set to accomodate the worst underperformer in the number of teams decided upon for SL or is the entry level document itself going to dictate the number of clubs in SL, i.e. acheive the criteria and your in, fail and your out!

I think it would be ludicrous, unprofessional and downright ignorant to let the 2018 season commence if the intention is to change the structure for 2019, if they are going to change lef it be known before the 1st February if not sooner.

 

 

 

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Are we going back to licencing? If so what will be the critera that has to be acheived for entry, the last document had more holes than a sieve, it needs ripping up and starting again. If we are going back to licencing will the entry level be set to accomodate the worst underperformer in the number of teams decided upon for SL or is the entry level document itself going to dictate the number of clubs in SL, i.e. acheive the criteria and your in, fail and your out!

As an afterthought, if a new entry document is to be produced for a licence to be granted to become a member of the SL, it will have to be given quite some time from the moment it hits the Chief Executives of the clubs for them to prepare their application and submit it, then all the applications will have to be scrutinised and then maybe (dependant on the rigidity of the criteria) consultations and re-submissions.

Could/would it be viable to announce mid or end season 2018 if a clubs licence application has been successful or not for 2019, surely at this stage the answer has to be no, in that I cannot see licencing being introduced if that is the way we are going before 2020, when it can be prepared for properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/12/2017 at 8:32 AM, Harry Stottle said:

As an afterthought, if a new entry document is to be produced for a licence to be granted to become a member of the SL, it will have to be given quite some time from the moment it hits the Chief Executives of the clubs for them to prepare their application and submit it, then all the applications will have to be scrutinised and then maybe (dependant on the rigidity of the criteria) consultations and re-submissions.

Could/would it be viable to announce mid or end season 2018 if a clubs licence application has been successful or not for 2019, surely at this stage the answer has to be no, in that I cannot see licencing being introduced if that is the way we are going before 2020, when it can be prepared for properly.

Guys, this is RL we are talking about - there probably will not be any structure announced until at best 14 days before it commences

Edited by Bullish Giant Rhino
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like having 14 teams in each division without the 8s. For 2019, the RFL should increase the championship to 14 teams. Three should be promoted from League One this year and only one relegated from the Championship. This will allow two spaces for expansion in League One for 2019 to keep it at 14 teams (Bristol/NY/Hamilton/Whoever). The RFL need to announce any changes before the season so everyone is clear what they are playing for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely changes cannot be made for 2019? You'd need a transition year, and it's too late for 2018 to be that transition year as clubs will be building based on the present system.

You'd need to know what the transition year will be and prepare for that. So for licensing to come into effect would have to be at least 2020. I really hope it's not licensing though, it was so dull.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Licencing will be announced when Cas's new stadium is actually at a stage where it will be completed in time for them to play in it 

Otherwise you have the ridiculous situation where the best team and potential winners of the comp could/would be excluded 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Licencing will be announced when Cas's new stadium is actually at a stage where it will be completed in time for them to play in it 

Otherwise you have the ridiculous situation where the best team and potential winners of the comp could/would be excluded 

Funny because I could have sworn the Rhinos are the champions ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

Guys, this is RL we are talking about - there probably will not be any structure announced until at best 14 days before it commences

Wrong - it's 14 days AFTER it commences (and that's only if they're in a good mood).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



League Express - Every Monday

Rugby League World - Dec 2017

Cas Tigers - The Breakthrough Year! On Sale Here

Rugby League Books On Sale Here